EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla ‘Full Self-Driving’ beta features an ‘Assertive’ mode with rolling stops

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-22, 11:57 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Post Tesla ‘Full Self-Driving’ beta features an ‘Assertive’ mode with rolling stops

Source: https://techcrunch.com/2022/01/10/tesla-full-self-driving-beta-features-an-assertive-mode-with-rolling-stops/

Profiles are back in Tesla’s latest “Full Self-Driving” beta 10.3 with an “Assertive Mode” that may perform rolling stops and other borderline maneuvers, The Verge has reported. The update was originally released in October 2021 with three profiles (“Chill,” “Average” and “Assertive”), but was pulled just two days later over issues with traffic light left turns, unexpected stopping and more.

The latest update issued yesterday shows that the Full Self-Driving (Beta) profiles are back. If you choose “Assertive,” the notes state that “in this profile, your Model X will have a smaller follow distance, perform more frequent speed lane changes, will not exit passing lanes and may perform rolling stops.” As @Digitalhen notes, the system may also perform rolling stops even in “Average” mode.

Generally, a rolling stop means a vehicle doesn’t come to a complete halt at a stop sign (which is illegal and dangerous) but it’s not yet clear if that’s what FSD will do. It’s also illegal in many states to stay in the left or passing lane if you’re not passing anyone, and of course, it’s never a great idea to follow the vehicle ahead too closely. All of that said, the mode hasn’t been tested enough yet to demonstrate exactly how it’s doing those things.

On the weekend, CEO Elon Musk announced that Tesla would be raising the price of FSD from $10,000 to $12,000, even though it’s still in beta. As we’ve pointed out before, the name “Full Self-Driving” is misleading (much like Autopilot), as FSD does not offer true Level 4 self-driving, but simply Level 2 advanced driver assistance.
Old 01-10-22, 12:07 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Uh.....I don't think that's a good plan to have a feature that actively advertises it breaks laws. They keep this up and the gov might implement a hard lock on the software to only drive "perfectly" and also cap the speed and acceleration of EVs in general.

They have done similar before
Old 01-10-22, 12:44 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Its basically giving the user ultimate freedom and letting them decide how the car should drive. I would appreciate a mode like this as a user but I can't believe the company lawyers would let this happen
Old 01-10-22, 12:52 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 679 Likes on 425 Posts

Generally, a rolling stop means a vehicle doesn’t come to a complete halt at a stop sign (which is illegal and dangerous) but it’s not yet clear if that’s what FSD will do
A rolling stop at a stop sign may well be illegal, but it's not necessarily dangerous.

And the linked video explaining why it's dangerous actually shows failures to stop at a red light...
Old 01-10-22, 12:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Tesla raises Full Self Driving to $12,000, adds 'Assertive' mode

Says it'll hog the left lane, roll through stops

Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted on Friday that the electric carmaker will raise the U.S. price of its advanced driver assistant software dubbed "Full Self Driving" to $12,000 on Jan. 17.

The 20% price rise comes less than two years after Tesla raised Full Self-Driving (FSD) prices to $10,000 from $8,000 in 2020.

"Tesla FSD price rising to $12k on Jan 17. Just in the US." Musk tweeted. Also, "FSD price will rise as we get closer to FSD production code release."

Tesla has been expanding the release of upgraded FSD driving-assistance features — like automatically changing lanes and making turns, but the features do not make the vehicles autonomous. As we always point out, the name "Full Self-Driving" is misleading, The same goes for Autopilot. These are not legitimate SAE Level 4 autonomy programs and should not be trusted.

The Verge reports that the new FSD v. 10.3 — which is still a beta version — features an "Assertive Mode" that will let the system roll through stop signs and perform other sketchy driving maneuvers. This is a version that was originally released back in October but was rolled back two days later because of its performance on traffic light left turns, among other issues.

Of "Assertive" mode, Tesla notes that "in this profile, your Model X will have a smaller follow distance, perform more frequent speed lane changes, will not exit passing lanes and may perform rolling stops."

Rolling stops are illegal, left-lane camping is also illegal in many states, and tailgating is always a bad idea.
Source
Old 01-10-22, 01:11 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Says it'll hog the left lane, roll through stops

Source
They should just name it "BMW driver" mode
Old 01-10-22, 01:15 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

If it's gonna hog the left instead of having proper lane discipline it better be willing to go 150+ to hold people off.....god that's a stupid feature. Just move right once you are done passing
Old 01-10-22, 01:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

it could also be named 'russell crowe' mode from the new amazon movie unhinged.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-11-22 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-10-22, 02:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

To be fair, I stay in the left lane 80% of the time when driving because I'm typically the fastest car on the road. But, when someone comes up behind me I immediately yield it to them.

My Mercedes is also more aggressive when using distronic in sport mode.
Old 01-10-22, 02:08 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
To be fair, I stay in the left lane 80% of the time when driving because I'm typically the fastest car on the road. But, when someone comes up behind me I immediately yield it to them.

Hogging the left lane means that there is someone else behind you waiting for you to move over. If you are the fastest car, then you are using it to pass everyone

I typically cruise around 85-90mph on the left lane so I don't feel guilty. I move over too when someone comes up behind me though.
Old 01-10-22, 02:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

True, I'm just always passing! haha

Its amazing how NOBODY yields the left lane anymore. NOBODY.
Old 01-10-22, 02:14 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

True, I'm just always passing! haha

Its amazing how NOBODY yields the left lane anymore. NOBODY.
Yeah..its is what it is. I just pass calmly on the right if they don't yield. Some people don't like that but i tend to hammer past them quickly so they don't have time to react. No big deal.
Old 01-10-22, 02:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Same here. Even flashing to pass doesn't work anymore, people are just clueless
Old 01-10-22, 03:02 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

That's totally fine, since you move.

People tend to not move and that 1000% is an easy way for people to get pissed off. I only am in the left lane if I'm actively passing, even if I'm doing 120+ I'm always as right as possible with exception being if it's three or two lanes and there is a on ramp. Then I'm one to the left so someone doesn't come in front of me
Old 01-10-22, 03:06 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Yeah..its is what it is. I just pass calmly on the right if they don't yield. Some people don't like that but i tend to hammer past them quickly so they don't have time to react. No big deal.
Hey if they want to be stupid and then get offended by it that's a perfect time to crush them with a more powerful car. Put them in their place.

Quick Reply: Tesla ‘Full Self-Driving’ beta features an ‘Assertive’ mode with rolling stops