EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla beat BMW for 2021 luxury crown, Cox says

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-22, 04:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
But the fact Tesla outsold BMW, Lexus, Audi and Mercedes in the US is a big deal.
i disagree. they outsold rolls royce, bentley, ferrari, mclaren, maserati, aston martin, and others too.
Old 01-27-22, 04:39 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Whether or not you think Tesla is a premium or luxury brand or whatever is a distinction without a difference.

No one cares.

But the fact Tesla outsold BMW, Lexus, Audi and Mercedes in the US is a big deal.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i disagree. they outsold rolls royce, bentley, ferrari, mclaren, maserati, aston martin, and others too.
The distinction being Tesla outsold carmakers that mostly compete at the same price point for the same type of customers.
Anecdotally, when I moved to my suburbia neighborhood over a decade ago the most popular luxury car here was probably an RX, and it's been mostly displaced with Model Ys. Tesla might actually be the most popular luxury brand in my neighborhood now, there's really been an explosion of them in the last year or so.
Old 01-27-22, 06:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sg021
The distinction being Tesla outsold carmakers that mostly compete at the same price point for the same type of customers.
Anecdotally, when I moved to my suburbia neighborhood over a decade ago the most popular luxury car here was probably an RX, and it's been mostly displaced with Model Ys. Tesla might actually be the most popular luxury brand in my neighborhood now, there's really been an explosion of them in the last year or so.
just because it's similar price point doesn't mean it's a luxury vehicle. the model y is about as luxurious as a transit van.
Old 01-27-22, 07:34 AM
sg021
Intermediate

just because it's similar price point doesn't mean it's a luxury vehicle. the model y is about as luxurious as a transit van.
We bought a Model 3 instead of a Mercedes. All the Teslas in my neighborhood are displacing 'luxury' vehicles. In the $50-$70k range, where the luxuriousness of luxury vehicles is not as high as say an S-Class, it seems like many people are fine trading off traditional luxury for what Tesla offers.

I think the definition of luxury is evolving. Would I like a quieter interior and massage seats? Absolutely. Will I accept a clunky, cluttered interior with a poor user interface, or will I ever buy another ICE vehicle? No. Even my wife, who was hesitant about getting a Tesla years ago mentioned recently that whenever I get a new car it should be an EV. That literally eliminates the entire Lexus brand at the moment. The best thing traditional makers could do is accept the trend for many people with garages, ie: almost every suburbanite with money for a luxury car. EV = luxury, ICE=compromise, not the other way around.

Personally, if someone put a gun to my head and said you have to sell your GL (which I really like), I would buy a refreshed Model S and never look back.

Last edited by sg021; 01-27-22 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-27-22, 07:40 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

We bought a Model 3 instead of a Mercedes. All the Teslas in my neighborhood are displacing 'luxury' vehicles. In the $50-$70k range, where the luxuriousness of luxury vehicles is not as high as say an S-Class, it seems like many people are fine trading off traditional luxury for what Tesla offers.

I think the definition of luxury is evolving. Would I like a quieter interior and massage seats? Absolutely. Will I accept a clunky, cluttered interior with a poor user interface, or will I ever buy another ICE vehicle? No. Even my wife that was hesitant about getting a Tesla years ago mentioned recently that whenever I get a new car it should be an EV. That literally eliminates the entire Lexus brand at the moment. The best thing traditional makers could do is accept the trend for many people with garages, ie: almost every suburbanite with money for a luxury car. EV = luxury, ICE=compromise, not the other way around.
Somehow I don’t see sales of MB and BMW decreasing.

Tesla created a new segment in automotive landscape.
It took sales away from various segments but overall it has not had huge impact on any one brand.
Old 01-27-22, 07:46 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

A luxury car is simply a car that provides increases level of comfort, equipment, amenities, quality, performance, technology, status etc etc vs. a mainstream car. A car/manufacturer may not meet all of those qualities but a mixture of some of those qualities and higher pricing make it a luxury car and its generally viewed as such. When the press talks about Tesla or Porsche or Lamborghini, they don't say "premium" car or "sporty" car. They consider those car brands luxury due to price. Its just a category in the auto segment.
Old 01-27-22, 07:49 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

It took sales away from various segments but overall it has not had huge impact on any one brand.
With COVID and the chip shortages I think it's almost impossible to get any real conclusions. Just my $.02 based off what I see, and I view my neighborhood as typical upper middle class suburbia.

What would you call this new segment? Premium EVs?

Last edited by sg021; 01-27-22 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-27-22, 07:58 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

With COVID and the chip shortages I think it's almost impossible to get any real conclusions. Just my $.02 based off what I see, and I view my neighborhood as typical upper middle class suburbia.

What would you call this new segment? Premium EVs?
My point is Tesla owners are just as likely to be former Prius owners as they are former 3series owners.

The brand is not going after Traditional luxury buyers.

It created new EV segment where consumers prefer tech and being green over everything else.

I would just call it EV segment and it has the highest growth potential in next 5-10yrs.
Old 01-27-22, 08:06 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,672 Posts

I think the definition of luxury is evolving. Would I like a quieter interior and massage seats? Absolutely. Will I accept a clunky, cluttered interior with a poor user interface, or will I ever buy another ICE vehicle? No. Even my wife, who was hesitant about getting a Tesla years ago mentioned recently that whenever I get a new car it should be an EV. That literally eliminates the entire Lexus brand at the moment. The best thing traditional makers could do is accept the trend for many people with garages, ie: almost every suburbanite with money for a luxury car. EV = luxury, ICE=compromise, not the other way around.

Personally, if someone put a gun to my head and said you have to sell your GL (which I really like), I would buy a refreshed Model S and never look back.
​​​​​​This is where Toyota/Lexus completely blew it. If they had an NX or LX that had a range of at least 300 miles, AWD with at minimum 300 hp and offered 2 or 3 years free charging and it was $60k or under, I would have had one in my yard instead of a Polestar. Lost opportunity
Old 01-27-22, 08:10 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

I respect your opinion but I think it’s very subjective. Those who choose Tesla over traditional luxury ice have their own reasons but certainly can not deny the luxury from other brands. I’m on bimmer forums too and I see those who chose bmw over Tesla for very same reason — luxury. On the other hand as expected I do see more and more Tesla but mostly are 3s and Ys. If you take the pre paid gas and credit off, they are quite cheap compared to similar ice cars.
Old 01-27-22, 08:13 AM
sg021
Intermediate

My point is Tesla owners are just as likely to be former Prius owners as they are former 3series owners.

It created new EV segment where consumers prefer tech and being green over everything else.

I would just call it EV segment and it has the highest growth potential in next 5-10yrs.
I think traditional luxury buyers have more plurality of reasons they were buying luxury cars than is being admitted. I would say Tesla, through tech, performance, green cred, and EV benefits, is taking traditional luxury buyers who weren't in it mainly for the traditional luxury, as well as people from other segments that weren't swayed by traditional luxury.
Old 01-27-22, 08:29 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
​​​​​​This is where Toyota/Lexus completely blew it. If they had an NX or LX that had a range of at least 300 miles, AWD with at minimum 300 hp and offered 2 or 3 years free charging and it was $60k or under, I would have had one in my yard instead of a Polestar. Lost opportunity
Honestly if they took a top trim AWD Ioniq 5 ($55k), gave it upgraded interior materials and RX skin for $65k it would stack up pretty well against a Model Y when you factor in the federal tax credit.
Old 01-27-22, 08:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

understood. and in that arena model 3s/Ys are the 'new new thing' to have vs the stodgy old bmw 3/5, mercedes c/e etc.

ok, fine, going forward i'll think of luxury as a price point, not amenities/materials/plushness/ride/etc.

and if you read me sig/disclaimer, you'll see i'm pretty much aligned with you, i just don't have an EV yet. but i will.

hard to know, but - little known fact to tesla fans it seems - mercedes stock did WAY better than tesla in 2021

as i wrote above, tesla is the cool new thing and at its price point, obviously not accessible to everyone. better off suburbanites like to fit in that 'set' but be different / better / exclusive than what the 'mainstream' drives (honda, toyota, fords, hyundai, etc).

Originally Posted by EZZ
A luxury car is simply a car that provides increases level of comfort, equipment, amenities, quality, performance, technology, status etc etc vs. a mainstream car. A car/manufacturer may not meet all of those qualities but a mixture of some of those qualities and higher pricing make it a luxury car and its generally viewed as such. When the press talks about Tesla or Porsche or Lamborghini, they don't say "premium" car or "sporty" car. They consider those car brands luxury due to price. Its just a category in the auto segment.
got it, going forward will think of luxury as price point, not features/content.

highly doubtful imo. a prius is pretty cheap. a tesla is not. and interesting thing about 3 series owners, probably 2/3rds lease, and with tesla leases not great, they probably don't jump over that much.

S3XY is a pretty simple line-up, crafted and evolving to catch as wide a net as possible. a little refinement/amenity here, a little cost reduction there... but if rumors of a model 2 are to be believed, tesla is truly about MASS MARKET and not luxury, etc. as discussed, it's only luxury because the price point is out of reach for the masses.

that's part of it, but i think another part is being different, cool, exclusive, etc. funny thing, it feels less exclusive when there's zillions of them on the road, but that never stopped bmw model 3's everywhere... people are funny, they want to belong in their 'social strata', but know that what they have can't be had by 'everyone'.

huge growth is not unexpected when it's the new new thing and the numbers are STILL relatively tiny right now. tesla is doing EXACTLY the right thing on the manufacturing front, and that's setting up for GIANT scale. in 5 years, i wouldn't be surprised to see them ship 10M cars in a year. to do that, they will need to increase quality, decrease cost, increase charging network, and add a model or two... and they're working on all of that.

bmw made an effort with the i4 but i think they're in DEEP trouble. their ice cars just aren't cool anymore.
Old 01-27-22, 08:44 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

hard to know, but - little known fact to tesla fans it seems - mercedes stock did WAY better than tesla in 2021
What's the stock symbol? How much do you own?
Old 01-27-22, 08:52 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,672 Posts

ok, fine, going forward i'll think of luxury as a price point, not amenities/materials/plushness/ride/etc.

and if you read me sig/disclaimer, you'll see i'm pretty much aligned with you, i just don't have an EV yet. but i will.
When you finally get one, park it next to your LC and open both hoods (sorry, "Frunk") and post a pic here with the caption "Size doesn't matter"

Quick Reply: Tesla beat BMW for 2021 luxury crown, Cox says