EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla beat BMW for 2021 luxury crown, Cox says

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-22, 10:06 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Well apart from the drivetrain, the performance, their lead in technology, their brand appeal, the likelihood of post-purchase increases in features, range and performance, and that these things and more appeal to affluent consumers.
A giant tablet in the center console does not qualify as "lead in technology", its total garbage. Most people don't care for drivetrains or performance either, most Teslas I see on the road are base model 3. Very few truly "affluent" consumers are cross shopping Teslas with true luxury automobiles.
Old 01-27-22, 10:08 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
But they are impacting sales. There are many potential EV customers that will never consider a Tesla because a) they are about as luxurious as a city bus, b) awful QC, c) horror stories when it comes to repairs.
That's what Tesla customers love, their simplicity. And they are awesome to drive. Horror repair stories are few and far in between and amplified by Tesla haters. To your point, this is where Toyota/Lexus missed an opportunity to take the segment of the market that likes more comfort and companies like Ford (Mach e), Hyundai/Kia, Polestar, and now Lucid, Rivian etc have smartly move in
Old 01-27-22, 10:10 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
A giant tablet in the center console does not qualify as "lead in technology", its total garbage. Most people don't care for drivetrains or performance either, most Teslas I see on the road are base model 3. Very few truly "affluent" consumers are cross shopping Teslas with true luxury automobiles.
Again, your interjecting your own opinion that very biased and non factual. Tesla buyers love that giant tablet, and sales prove it. Not my cup of tea, but t's anything but junk
Old 01-27-22, 10:17 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Your opinion is just that. The sales numbers, the growth in demand and the supply constraints are real.

And it might be time to update your definition of "technology".
Old 01-27-22, 10:19 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
That's what Tesla customers love, their simplicity. And they are awesome to drive. Horror repair stories are few and far in between and amplified by Tesla haters. To your point, this is where Toyota/Lexus missed an opportunity to take the segment of the market that likes more comfort and companies like Ford (Mach e), Hyundai/Kia, Polestar, and now Lucid, Rivian etc have smartly move in
This isn't the only market opportunity that Lexus/Toyota have missed, they make a lot of business decisions that are infuriating to their enthusiasts. There is a clearly an decent size niche segment for EV automobiles, and traditional brands will take a piece of the pie.

Again, your interjecting your own opinion that very biased and non factual. Tesla buyers love that giant tablet, and sales prove it. Not my cup of tea, but t's anything but junk
I'm not interjecting anymore than you are, for whatever its worth. I actually considered a model X last time I shopped for a car, and the awful interior and giant ipod are the reason I did not get one. Plenty of potential buyers, especially in the nigher end segment, have exact the same views. Traditional luxury brands will take a huge chunk out of Tesla high end sales, even with half assed efforts.
Old 01-27-22, 10:23 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Remember when the Jaguar I-Pace was going to eat Tesla's lunch? True luxury no way Tesla can compete.
Old 01-27-22, 10:24 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
This isn't the only market opportunity that Lexus/Toyota have missed, they make a lot of business decisions that are infuriating to their enthusiasts. There is a clearly an decent size niche segment for EV automobiles, and traditional brands will take a piece of the pie.

I'm not interjecting anymore than you are, for whatever its worth. I actually considered a model X last time I shopped for a car, and the awful interior and giant ipod are the reason I did not get one. Plenty of potential buyers, especially in the nigher end segment, have exact the same views. Traditional luxury brands will take a huge chunk out of Tesla high end sales, even with half assed efforts.
I'm not interjecting at all. I personally don't care for the tablet, but sales shows that people, lots and lots of people like it, so what you and I think of it is irrelevant looking at the big picture. Of course I understand that there are those who don't, but they don't really matter at the end of the day because Tesla's sales numbers and profits are insane
Old 01-27-22, 10:29 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Remember when the Jaguar I-Pace was going to eat Tesla's lunch? True luxury no way Tesla can compete.
Exactly. The market, what the consumer wants has changed, and so luxury it seems. "Luxury" brands are becoming less relevant
Old 01-27-22, 10:41 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Give me data to support that assertion please. I know many many millionaires that drive Model S/X as their daily. My kids attend school where the average home transaction price is $2-3M and all i see are Teslas. If you can afford a Model S/X, whose sales are in-line with the flagships from Merc, BMW, Lexus, then you are affluent by definition.
Old 01-27-22, 10:51 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Give me data to support that assertion please. I know many many millionaires that drive Model S/X as their daily. My kids attend school where the average home transaction price is $2-3M and all i see are Teslas. If you can afford a Model S/X, whose sales are in-line with the flagships from Merc, BMW, Lexus, then you are affluent by definition.
I’m sure these folks are 45 or younger.

I honestly have never seen an Sclass or Gwagon type buyer say oh ye I want a Tesla now.

Its mostly young ppl that like the gadgets and cache of what Tesla brand represents.
Old 01-27-22, 10:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

What's the stock symbol? How much do you own?
1. DDAIF, actually big growth has been over past 2 years... recently it's been up/down.

2. none of your business.

Old 01-27-22, 10:59 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
1. DDAIF, actually big growth has been over past 2 years... recently it's been up/down.

Congrats on your investments, but to be fair, I think alot of stocks look to have a similar curve since the bottom of the market in March 2020. I think VOO (S&P 500) looks to have similar results during that time.
Old 01-27-22, 11:03 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Same answer when you keep asking me what cars I own and why.

As for the stocks you said 2021 then moved the goal posts.
Old 01-27-22, 11:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
There is absolutely nothing luxury about a Tesla, especially a model 3. It's interior is far worse than most econoboxes such as Mazda 3.
Originally Posted by Och
your arguments remind me a bit of a blackberry user slamming the original iphone. we see how that worked out.

while you hate the tesla, obviously millions now have it or aspire to have it. the 'minimalism' appeals to them.

and i have to say that while the first model 3's were pretty much junk inside imo, the latest is improved by a pretty significant margin (materials, design, features).

When you finally get one, park it next to your LC and open both hoods (sorry, "Frunk") and post a pic here with the caption "Size doesn't matter"
that's funny.

i don't remember your false strawman, and obviously jaguar didn't have a charging network, the range, the tech, etc.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I honestly have never seen an Sclass or Gwagon type buyer say oh ye I want a Tesla now.
Its mostly young ppl that like the gadgets and cache of what Tesla brand represents.
ok so what's your point? all car makers would do ANYTHING to have buyers 45 and younger dying to buy their product!

i expect the average age of an s-class and g-wagon buyer is about 60. i do know an 80+yr old nr me that has a bentley and a tesla model s and others though.

as always, there's people who want the cool leading (or bleeding) edge, and others less bold who want 'establishment' product (s-class for example). that's one reason mb has both eqs and s-class. there's no way they were about to walk away from s-class business until it's fading naturally over the next decade.

Old 01-27-22, 11:05 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

You'd be wrong. Many of my personal friends with Teslas and good wealth are 50-60. Doctors, lawyers, engineers, business owners....Teslas are everywhere in so-cal and they've replaced BMW and Mercedes where I live. If you can afford a Model S/X, you typically are not young.

edit: https://hedgescompany.com/blog/2018/...la%20owners%3F

turns out the average Tesla owner is 50 years old.

Quick Reply: Tesla beat BMW for 2021 luxury crown, Cox says