EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla beat BMW for 2021 luxury crown, Cox says

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-22, 02:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
5.3 seconds
5.8 according to Tesla.com, and they been know to exaggerate.
Old 01-27-22, 02:43 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Not for performance. Unlike Lexus 0-60 times, people have actually been able to reproduce the website published times multiple times and there is a huge thread in every Tesla subforums with published VBOX/Draggy times. They used to publish my Model 3 Performance at 3.2s with rollout and many have broken that time with 3s flat at high states of charge. Even the Plaid numbers have been reproduced at drag strips because EVs are stupid simple to launch and reproducible by anyone.
Old 01-27-22, 02:44 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
@EZZ posted the corrected 0-60. I would only buy the dual motor Model 3 and not the base if I was in the market for a Tesla
Old 01-27-22, 02:47 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
5.8s is the new Base 3 with LFP battery. The old one was about 5.2s with the NCA pack. The Dual Motor is 4.2s and the Performance is about 3.1s (although people have gotten 2.99s on a draggy). I agree that he Base Model 3 is slow. Anything above 5s is slow though.
Whew...my IS350 just made it off your slow list at 5 seconds 0 to 60
Old 01-27-22, 02:53 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Whew...my IS350 just made it off your slow list at 5 seconds 0 to 60
My 3IS was rated at 0-60 in 5.6s and that was only achievable if I brake boosted at the launch. Its also hard to launch the IS350 from my experience...just bogs down most of the time. It felt decently quick at freeway passing speeds but the low end torque was nothing to write home about. Of course this was in the mid 2000s and early 2010s so it was competitive at that time. Now, its just going to get stomped by pretty much any performance oriented car and most EVs will run away from it. Who said the horsepower wars have died

Also, people are confusing the luxury segment with actually being luxurious. The luxury segment is a catch all for expensive vehicles. I've seen Lambo, Mclaren, even Lotus bucketed in this group and we know they aren't really luxurious...just premium and fast and exclusive. The Model 3/Y is not luxurious at all but will continued to be compared in the luxury segment strictly based on price. It is what it is.
Old 01-27-22, 03:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
My 3IS was rated at 0-60 in 5.6s and that was only achievable if I brake boosted at the launch. Its also hard to launch the IS350 from my experience...just bogs down most of the time. It felt decently quick at freeway passing speeds but the low end torque was nothing to write home about. Of course this was in the mid 2000s and early 2010s so it was competitive at that time. Now, its just going to get stomped by pretty much any performance oriented car and most EVs will run away from it. Who said the horsepower wars have died

Also, people are confusing the luxury segment with actually being luxurious. The luxury segment is a catch all for expensive vehicles. I've seen Lambo, Mclaren, even Lotus bucketed in this group and we know they aren't really luxurious...just premium and fast and exclusive. The Model 3/Y is not luxurious at all but will continued to be compared in the luxury segment strictly based on price. It is what it is.
The thing about the 2IS, its lighter and more aggressively tuned than the 3 or 4IS. The trans is also geared lower and more aggressive. The 3 and 4IS were made to be more "refined". You'll be surprised at the cars I've beaten, everything from WRX/STi to Veloster N. Low end torque is really good in this car. Also when I changed my oil, I decided to try Amsoil XL, and that oil made a huge, huge difference. I go to redline much easier and smoother. The only cars I can't really hang with for long are the TT V6 and TT V8's, but most turbocharged 4's are no problem
Old 01-27-22, 03:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I don't think 3 or 4 are considered luxury lines. Maybe 20 years ago when you had to order and waited for a 3.

That's the thing. It's pathetic when people say 3s are luxury cars, not even Ys imo. If 0-60 is a measure of luxury, then yes, it's damn luxurious.
A 3 and 4 from BMW are definitely luxury vehicles. No doubt that BMW is a luxury brand. For the price point, experience and design, I would consider Tesla a luxury brand.

Originally Posted by swajames
Anyone who has held Tesla stock for a while knows you don't get excited by 10% single-day increases and you don't need to worry about 10% single-day declines.

The stock dropped today because despite excellent results Musk put the focus on supply chain issues and confirmed that there would be no new products this year. None of which is particularly controversial, but with Tesla the dips are big and so are the rebounds.

The bottom line, though, is that for the past few years, the rebounds have been bigger.
I have always considered Tesla and the whole EV industry being in a bubble like the .com era. I guess we shall see. Stock market is like a house made out of a deck of cards..can crumble any moment.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-27-22 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-27-22, 03:17 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Tesla has been taking market share from the lux brands; they know the Model Y might become one of the top 5 selling cars at any price. We are talking Corolla numbers... That consumes their SUV sales, which is their bread and butter nowadays.
The RX is Lexus' biggest seller, for example.
Barrons on Model Y
Yeah, I'm aware. Does that mean the Germans are "terrified?" I really don't think so. BMW and Mercedes don't even have anything to compete with the Model Y yet- The EQE SUV isn't out until next year and the next-gen iX3 won't be here before 2025. They're well aware Tesla is eating up the market even in their home country but also know there will be customers that come right back to them when they have an entry. Tesla is no doubt real competition but it's not like the legacy car makers in the luxury segment are sitting there stunned without a path forward.

If there are full fledged Model Y competitors on the market and they still can't slow the defection rate then oh yes then that's the time to be terrified.
Old 01-27-22, 03:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have always considered Tesla and the whole EV industry being in a bubble like the .com era. I guess we shall see. Stock market is like a house made out of a deck of cards..can crumble any moment.
Fundamentals matter not the stock price. Tesla has cash on hand, very low debt and the best margins of any mainstream automaker. And why are you putting Tesla in with .com companies they are in the same sphere and Lexus. If you want to see a house of cards look at General Motors the debt they are carrying is very concerning as is their shrinking sales.
Old 01-27-22, 03:30 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
A 3 and 4 from BMW are definitely luxury vehicles. No doubt that BMW is a luxury brand. For the price point, experience and design, I would consider Tesla a luxury brand.

You can't compare todays stock and EV market to the .dot com era. Not even remotely do they resemble each other. The .dot com era was HS dropouts with not even a business plan getting millions of dollars in venture capital funding for some stupid idea, taking that money and blowing on drugs and cars, and walking away from everything after they ran out of cash. Almost no .dot com companies produced anything tangible, and never delivered anything except drug fueled waste. EV's are real, millions of people buy them and drive them. Tesla actually makes Billions (with a B) in revenue and profit. No deck of cards here, real investments, with real returns
Old 01-28-22, 01:56 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

I'd love to hear how with a balance sheet like this Tesla is a .com bubble company.

Tesla beat BMW for 2021 luxury crown, Cox says-4t1su7c.png
Old 01-28-22, 01:59 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah. Highest margin in the industry too. More than Toyota even. It's okay...some people still think Apple is in a bubble.
Old 01-28-22, 02:04 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Yeah. Highest margin in the industry too. More than Toyota even. It's okay...some people still think Apple is in a bubble.
Apple is an impenetrable force field. Its Apple consumers who have bubbles around them...

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 01-28-22 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-28-22, 02:12 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Apple is an impenetrable force field. Its Apple consumers who have bubbles around them...
Right now, Tesla is growing into its valuation. Its highly impressive and they show no signs of slowing down. They even said that they don't expect 4680 constraints on the Model Y this year and the first one will ship this quarter. Its highly impressive how they are executing and people still doubt them even with no debt and millions of units sold...lol. It is what it is.
Old 01-28-22, 02:27 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Right now, Tesla is growing into its valuation. Its highly impressive and they show no signs of slowing down. They even said that they don't expect 4680 constraints on the Model Y this year and the first one will ship this quarter. Its highly impressive how they are executing and people still doubt them even with no debt and millions of units sold...lol. It is what it is.
People just don't want to accept EV's are here to stay. They are trying hard to convince themselves that it's a fad that will go away, a bubble that's going to burst. There's are women I work with, her and her husband are car enthusiasts to the max. She drives (or drove) a big giant Chevy Suburban and an Alfa Giulia, refused to buy gas from Costco because "its the cheap stuff". Her husband owns a business where they build custom lips for Italian sports cars. Was I shocked when last week she pulled in with an Audi E-Tron. Good God, I would have never thought. I asked her today how she liked it, and she said she's never driving the Suburban again, and started raging on how much money she's saving on not having to buy gas, how smooth it is, how much power it has etc etc. Another co-worker was shaking his head saying he has to get away from EV owners.

Tesla's growth can only be stopped by Tesla. How it evolves and reacts to other EV's, both here and up and coming will determine its future, which is extremely bright

Quick Reply: Tesla beat BMW for 2021 luxury crown, Cox says