EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla beat BMW for 2021 luxury crown, Cox says

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-22, 03:56 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Tesla beat BMW for 2021 luxury crown, *** says

Didn't expect Tesla to overtake the Germans so quickly.

https://us.newschant.com/auto/tesla-...rown-***-says/

Tesla beat BMW for 2021 luxury crown, *** says

Tesla would not sometimes get away U.S. gross sales as a part of its earnings report, however data from *** Automotive suggests the EV chief snatched the luxury gross sales crown from BMW final year, no matter gasoline sort.

Tesla reported international car gross sales earlier this month and reported fourth-quarter monetary outcomes Wednesday. Tesla garnered a 72 % share of the U.S. EV market in 2021, down from almost 80 % in 2020, *** mentioned in a report Tuesday on EV and electrified car gross sales.

EVs are outlined as autos powered solely by batteries, whereas electrified autos embrace hybrids and plug-in hybrids, that are primarily powered by inside combustion engines.
Relatively new fashions to the EV market such because the Volkswagen ID4, Porsche Taycan and Ford Mustang Mach-E took a small share from Tesla, along with features by established fashions such because the Chevrolet Bolt, Hyundai Kona electrical and Nissan Leaf, *** mentioned.

The 89 % surge in EV gross sales final year put deliveries of battery-electric autos at 487,460, of which 352,471 had been Tesla autos out of the company’s Fremont, Calif. plant. Compared to luxury rivals that promote largely combustion-engine autos, Tesla fared nicely, *** mentioned.

“Tesla didn’t only dominate the EV market, Tesla dominated the overall luxury market, outselling Audi, BMW, Lexus, and Mercedes-Benz in the U.S.,” *** mentioned.
A separate report by *** estimated Tesla model gross sales within the U.S. final year at 352,471, for a 71 % enhance over the 205,600 items offered in 2020. Tesla gross sales in 2021 got here largely from the Model Y crossover at 190,393 and Model 3 sedan at 121,877, *** mentioned.

BMW model gross sales final year had been 336,644 and Lexus got here in at 304,476 deliveries, in line with *** and producer knowledge. Mercedes struggled with semiconductor chip provide and offered 276,102 luxury autos within the U.S. final year, in line with the automaker.
Old 01-26-22, 04:01 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

Only problem is Tesla is not a luxury car outside of price. A Camry has better interior quality
Old 01-26-22, 04:10 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Only problem is Tesla is not a luxury car outside of price. A Camry has better interior quality
Yeah I’m not sure about the luxury part but people keep buying them. They expect to have full self drive this year so more will buy too.

Old 01-26-22, 04:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

That's absolutely true, and last year I would have bought a Camry over a Tesla, but the market has changed drastically. Speaking about myself specifically, today if I was in the market for a new car, it wouldn't be ICE. Although I do plan to hold on to both my 2006 Camry and my IS350, I am going to replace my 2013 Sienna the moment an EV SUV/Minivan comes on the market that offers at least a 400 mile range. So to your point, if I had an existing Camry I would keep it, but if I was buying and the choice was a Camry or a Model 3, Model 3 wins
Old 01-26-22, 04:50 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

just because it costs as much as a luxury car doesnt mean its built like one
Old 01-26-22, 04:57 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
just because it costs as much as a luxury car doesnt mean its built like one
But it most likely takes the place of one given its ASP. Tesla isn't a luxury car maker but it is a premium brand due to pricing and its customer base reflects the demographics that the other luxury brands sell to. So it basically has the highest sales share now in the luxury space.
Old 01-26-22, 05:21 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
But it most likely takes the place of one given its ASP. Tesla isn't a luxury car maker but it is a premium brand due to pricing and its customer base reflects the demographics that the other luxury brands sell to. So it basically has the highest sales share now in the luxury space.
Like I said earlier, the market is changing drastically. I recently dumped some money my wife handed me that she got from her previous company (they were supposed to go into shares, but she moved to another company before it was invested) into Tesla while it was down, and thank God I did that! She was nervous about me buying Tesla because it had gone down quite a bit...I told her to trust me. Now I can gloat!
Old 01-26-22, 06:47 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
That's absolutely true, and last year I would have bought a Camry over a Tesla, but the market has changed drastically. Speaking about myself specifically, today if I was in the market for a new car, it wouldn't be ICE. Although I do plan to hold on to both my 2006 Camry and my IS350, I am going to replace my 2013 Sienna the moment an EV SUV/Minivan comes on the market that offers at least a 400 mile range. So to your point, if I had an existing Camry I would keep it, but if I was buying and the choice was a Camry or a Model 3, Model 3 wins
Why? The Camry will be cheaper in the long term unless you just lease and doesn't limit you in so many ways. Plus CPO before anyone mentions gas costs if you ignore the massive price difference.
Old 01-26-22, 06:51 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Tesla is not a luxury car and title is misleading.

It should say Tesla is leading the EV market which is growing YOY and will continue to expand.

They have 4 models with only 2 that have any significant volume therefore they don’t really compete directly with MB, BMW etc especially considering those brands don’t even offer any EVs.

Tesla created the EV niche and it will be segment leader for next 5-10yrs.
Old 01-26-22, 07:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

tesla with a luxury crown? LOL

however, more seriously, i have no doubt that tesla stole a LOT of sales away from bmw. remember bmw used to be the 'ultimate driving machine'? not any more.

they're similarly priced and where bmw used to be cool, it's tesla that's cool now. that's the problem with the fashion business.

a tesla has all sorts of problems right away, and a bmw has all sorts of problems once the warranty runs out.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-26-22 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-26-22, 09:48 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Why? The Camry will be cheaper in the long term unless you just lease and doesn't limit you in so many ways. Plus CPO before anyone mentions gas costs if you ignore the massive price difference.
It has nothing to do with cheaper. Take the Camry...if I bought one, it would not be the Inline 4, but the V6 XSE or TRD, which is nearly $40K, which means I'm spending more money on one Camry model over another. But let's forget the Camry statement because that brand in no way competes with any of Tesla models. Price and performance wise a cars like the Model 3 and Y competes with BMW 3 and 4 series more than any Toyota or Lexus product. As far as the Tesla beating BMW for the "luxury crown", that title is a bit misleading as Tesla's are definitely not very luxurious. A better title would be that Tesla outsold BMW luxury models, but, people want catchy titles to get clicks.

Why I wouldn't buy another new ICE? EV's IMO have reached the point (and will continually evolve) where they are now practical, have long range, charge quickly, and batteries are designed to last the life of the car, which is around 300K, and there are more options other than Tesla. Plus 400 to 600 whp with no penalty, costing under $30 to drive 400 miles. I just want to add the quick caveat that all of what I stated is true if you live in an area with high EV adoption, available charging infrastructure, and the ability to charge at home or have nearby convenient charging

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 01-26-22 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-26-22, 10:04 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Whether or not you think Tesla is a premium or luxury brand or whatever is a distinction without a difference.

No one cares.

But the fact Tesla outsold BMW, Lexus, Audi and Mercedes in the US is a big deal.
Old 01-26-22, 10:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
Whether or not you think Tesla is a premium or luxury brand or whatever is a distinction without a difference.

No one cares.

But the fact Tesla outsold BMW, Lexus, Audi and Mercedes in the US is a big deal.
And my Tesla stock thanks all those people
Old 01-26-22, 10:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
tesla with a luxury crown? LOL
Yes and no. The Model S would probably qualify.....I'm not so sure about the rest of the line.

however, more seriously, i have no doubt that tesla stole a LOT of sales away from bmw. remember bmw used to be the 'ultimate driving machine'? not any more.
Before the Chris-Bangle days and the later changes to the steering/suspension, BMW's in a number of ways, WERE the Ultimate Driving Machine, if one judged that criteria by what was arguably the world's best hydraulic power-steering units that almost allowed you to steer and handle blindfolded, by tactile-feels alone, or by a suspension that could magically give you the best in both ride-comfort and steering-precision. I remember driving a older-generation 335i that was nothing short of superb. In fact, I almost bought one, except that it was more money than I wanted to spend, and they had notorious fuel-pump issues.

a bmw has all sorts of problems once the warranty runs out.
Never mind the end of the warranty. They sometimes have problems even brand-new, sitting on the lot. Some time ago, I remember once trying to sample a new M3 that had such bad electrical shorts in it that it took a half an hour (even with tech-assistance in the service-bay) to get the power-seat into a position that allowed my big frame to fit in and drive. This, on the same car, after the entire arm-rest assembly in the back seat pulled completely out and dropped on the floor...it had never been properly-attached at the factory; simply stuffed into the hole in the seat. That's the kind of stuff we saw from Chrysler back in the 1970s LOL.

Ordinarily, I don't test-drive many high-performance road-scorchers like that, but, as I remember it, I think I had a CL-request for that one.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-26-22 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-26-22, 10:28 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
And my Tesla stock thanks all those people
Yes indeed. As does mine.

Quick Reply: Tesla beat BMW for 2021 luxury crown, Cox says