EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Who has driven a Tesla?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-22, 09:35 AM
NoMoreEv
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Good luck with the NX. Will it be the new version? Hopefully, you don't miss the speed because the Nx will feel glacial comparatively but it will probably be much more luxurious.
Yes, it is the new version (2022) and ETA is sometime in April. After I sold my P car before Christmas, I don’t think I will miss the Tesla base on the speed and torque alone. I will miss the ability to watch Netflix and the rear heated seats for my kids.

Seeing all the people having issue with their heater ( head pump & resister version ) I have cold feet keeping the Tesla long term as I don’t want to deal with any issue once the warranty expire.

The new NX is extremely quiet compare to the Tesla model 3 even the NX come with RFT.

Old 02-09-22, 10:05 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350noob
especially the auto-deceleration you feel if you let off the gas pedal. Stopping without hitting the brake pedal is exceptionally weird.
Do you have any experience with manual transmissions or engine braking? Because that's exactly what it feels like to me, which was immediately familiar (and desirable).

For me, it's not so much about being quick or fast-- it's about the immediate throttle response, which can't be replicated with ICE vehicles. I don't have high tolerance for lag, and so I drove my previous gas cars in the performance or sport setting 100% of the time. Electric improved on that, and next to efficiency and practicality, it's the standout feature, IMO.
Old 02-09-22, 10:08 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreEv
Yes, it is the new version (2022) and ETA is sometime in April. After I sold my P car before Christmas, I don’t think I will miss the Tesla base on the speed and torque alone. I will miss the ability to watch Netflix and the rear heated seats for my kids.

Seeing all the people having issue with their heater ( head pump & resister version ) I have cold feet keeping the Tesla long term as I don’t want to deal with any issue once the warranty expire.

The new NX is extremely quiet compare to the Tesla model 3 even the NX come with RFT.
The heat pump issue was a software issue. Electrek has a great article on why it happened. Supposed software fix does really mitigate issue but the ones that were affected badly will have to have it repaired at the service center. I plan to keep my Tesla until the powertrain runs out which is 8 years. Its the most convenient car i've ever had...no dealership visits for maintenance, no gas stations...its simply wonderful.

Good luck with the new NX...it looks like a beautiful compact SUV and the luxury levels look great.

https://electrek.co/2022/02/09/tesla...-nhtsa-recall/
Old 02-09-22, 10:21 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 193 Posts

Re: the coasting thing - most people I've met that own/drive EVs seem to think that regen is the magic to "high efficiency" and go out of their way to regen whenever possible, even "to maximize their range". Same weird reasoning happens with hybrids as well. Regen is obviously better when you have to actually slow down but it won't magically make your car go farther or anything along the lines. And driving on public roads (extra urban) without using the brakes and without being a douche is absolutely possible - assuming that people are not afraid of curves and pick a sensible speed. Anyways.
Old 02-09-22, 10:26 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Re: the coasting thing - most people I've met that own/drive EVs seem to think that regen is the magic to "high efficiency" and go out of their way to regen whenever possible, even "to maximize their range". Same weird reasoning happens with hybrids as well. Regen is obviously better when you have to actually slow down but it won't magically make your car go farther or anything along the lines. And driving on public roads (extra urban) without using the brakes and without being a douche is absolutely possible - assuming that people are not afraid of curves and pick a sensible speed. Anyways.
For me the love of regen braking is about convince, you let off on the excelerator and the car slows. Plus you save on brake pad wear. I have yet to see any brake dust cover my wheels
Old 02-09-22, 10:43 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lets Drive
Do you have any experience with manual transmissions or engine braking? Because that's exactly what it feels like to me, which was immediately familiar (and desirable).

For me, it's not so much about being quick or fast-- it's about the immediate throttle response, which can't be replicated with ICE vehicles. I don't have high tolerance for lag, and so I drove my previous gas cars in the performance or sport setting 100% of the time. Electric improved on that, and next to efficiency and practicality, it's the standout feature, IMO.
I have a Polestar 2, I love that the power is instant. Many times I quickly merge lanes, it happens so quickly that the drivers brain I just merged in front of doesn't even have time to process what happened. If I floor it, it will actually make me dizzy, the first time I did it I thought I was having a stroke!
Old 02-09-22, 11:45 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

well dont test drive a model S Plaid; you might get a heart attack too.
Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I have a Polestar 2, I love that the power is instant. Many times I quickly merge lanes, it happens so quickly that the drivers brain I just merged in front of doesn't even have time to process what happened. If I floor it, it will actually make me dizzy, the first time I did it I thought I was having a stroke!
Old 02-09-22, 11:47 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I am curious, since you also have a ISF and model 3; I get the model 3 is faster but how does the ISF compares you still kept the ISF?
Originally Posted by Lets Drive

Old 02-09-22, 11:51 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UZ214
well dont test drive a model S Plaid; you might get a heart attack too.
Plaid actually scares me, that much power should be illegal
Old 02-09-22, 01:43 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
I am curious, since you also have a ISF and model 3; I get the model 3 is faster but how does the ISF compares you still kept the ISF?
Yeah, I've kept the F because I have the garage space and put a lot of time and energy into it, with only minor issues. I'd be forcing a comparison, given the F is based on an 06 chassis and the 3 is a newer, dedicated BEV platform. The F makes fun noises when you want to announce yourself, and it was an underrated car for the time, but it pretty much falls behind anywhere else (including most measures of performance, efficiency, storage, features, etc). I'd have liked to see a 2nd gen, but time and tech march on.
Old 02-09-22, 01:52 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

Regenerative braking.... It's real simple. Regen allows for better range on stop and go vs freeway speeds.
You might think of it as the opposite of ice vehicles.

From Wikipedia:
Regenerative braking is an energy recovery mechanism that slows down a moving vehicle or object by converting its kinetic energy into a form that can be either used immediately or stored until needed. In this mechanism, the electric traction motor uses the vehicle's momentum to recover energy that would otherwise be lost to the brake discs as heat. This contrasts with conventional braking systems, where the excess kinetic energy is converted to unwanted and wasted heat due to friction in the brakes, or with rheostatic brakes, where the energy is recovered by using electric motors as generators but is immediately dissipated as heat in resistors. In addition to improving the overall efficiency of the vehicle, regeneration can significantly extend the life of the braking system as the mechanical parts will not wear out very quickly.
Old 02-10-22, 04:32 AM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350noob
I drove a friend's the other day. I liked and and disliked it at the same time. I was very impressed by the tech stuff like the camera system and all the automated safety features. I was really not a fan of the feeling of the drive. It felt like riding on an electric monorail train (like BART in the bay area if you've ever ridden it), and the lack of shifts was very foreign. I would have a hard time adjusting to this. I must admit the car is definitely quick, but there's something about it that is not fun at all. Basically all modern cars have a lot of nanny features and are not visceral like driving an loud, older car with no traction control etc. The driving experience felt like driving a very fast golf cart, especially the auto-deceleration you feel if you let off the gas pedal. Stopping without hitting the brake pedal is exceptionally weird.

It actually has made me appreciate my car more. .
I’ve driven a model X and model S and let’s just say I prefer the interior of my GS wayyy more than both. My car is a lot older and it’s still not even close. A big screen that I would barely use doesn’t make up for the poor build quality and terrible layout of Tesla interior imo. Especially since the screens in those cars have issues. Along with all the other build quality issues that include the exterior too. EVs definitely have their advantages and eventually we’ll all be driving them at some point but I’m definitely gonna wait until they are a lot more common and luxury brands start making them with much higher build quality and reliability. Most Tesla’s are really fast and fun to drive but for now I still like hearing my engine/exhaust make a lot of noise
Old 02-10-22, 04:35 AM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

But electric cars are definitely the future and it’s gonna feel good to not have to pay for gas and worry about maintenance anymore.
Old 02-10-22, 07:55 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kingmatt24
I’ve driven a model X and model S and let’s just say I prefer the interior of my GS wayyy more than both. My car is a lot older and it’s still not even close. A big screen that I would barely use doesn’t make up for the poor build quality and terrible layout of Tesla interior imo. Especially since the screens in those cars have issues. Along with all the other build quality issues that include the exterior too. EVs definitely have their advantages and eventually we’ll all be driving them at some point but I’m definitely gonna wait until they are a lot more common and luxury brands start making them with much higher build quality and reliability. Most Tesla’s are really fast and fun to drive but for now I still like hearing my engine/exhaust make a lot of noise
If you owned a Tesla you would be using the screen 99 percent of the time, as most functions are in the screen. I would dispute their screens have issues, I know tons of people who drive Tesla, both techies and non techies and they love their Tesla's and love the screens and I've only known one owner with a screen issue. Yes, quality is an issue with Tesla, but I think their owners are willing to overlook it because the benefits of ownership outweigh problems
Old 02-10-22, 08:09 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingmatt24
But electric cars are definitely the future and it’s gonna feel good to not have to pay for gas and worry about maintenance anymore.
Lol - you will pay for charging and some type of road tax since gas tax revenue will need to be made whole.
I don’t see EVs being cheaper to operate than ICE.

Quick Reply: Who has driven a Tesla?