EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Who has driven a Tesla?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-22, 08:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingmatt24
I’ve driven a model X and model S and let’s just say I prefer the interior of my GS wayyy more than both. My car is a lot older and it’s still not even close. A big screen that I would barely use doesn’t make up for the poor build quality and terrible layout of Tesla interior imo. Especially since the screens in those cars have issues. Along with all the other build quality issues that include the exterior too. EVs definitely have their advantages and eventually we’ll all be driving them at some point but I’m definitely gonna wait until they are a lot more common and luxury brands start making them with much higher build quality and reliability. Most Tesla’s are really fast and fun to drive but for now I still like hearing my engine/exhaust make a lot of noise
Have you seen the refresh Model S and X? Interiors are MUCH better.
Old 02-10-22, 08:28 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Lol - you will pay for charging and some type of road tax since gas tax revenue will need to be made whole.
I don’t see EVs being cheaper to operate than ICE.
So i will pay for road tax but that will be more expensive than the gas tax? Makes no sense. Gas tax is very expensive and states are already charging upfront the lost revenue in higher registrations. I already pay the road tax and my EV will save at least $25k over a comparable ICE in the period I will own it. Until I actually see EVs being as expensive as ICE with my own eyes, ICE will always be way more expensive than EV. Not even remotely close.
Old 02-10-22, 08:30 AM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

Lol - you will pay for charging and some type of road tax since gas tax revenue will need to be made whole.
charging your car at home is much cheaper than gas.. and none of the ICE maintenance exists on EVs.. the fees aren’t enough to make it cost more than operating a normal car. There has been multiple Tesla’s in my family so I’m pretty familiar with them now
Old 02-10-22, 08:31 AM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
If you owned a Tesla you would be using the screen 99 percent of the time, as most functions are in the screen. I would dispute their screens have issues, I know tons of people who drive Tesla, both techies and non techies and they love their Tesla's and love the screens and I've only known one owner with a screen issue. Yes, quality is an issue with Tesla, but I think their owners are willing to overlook it because the benefits of ownership outweigh problems
I forgot that everything is on the screen and I hate it. Another bit drawback of Tesla’s interior layout and don’t think they’ll be changing that anytime soon
Old 02-10-22, 08:34 AM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Have you seen the refresh Model S and X? Interiors are MUCH better.
No, I haven’t but that’s good news. Still hate the layout of everything being reliant on the center screen. Pretty much every other EV have more traditional interiors which I prefer a lot
Old 02-10-22, 08:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

No, I haven’t but that’s good news. Still hate the layout of everything being reliant on the center screen. Pretty much every other EV have more traditional interiors which I prefer a lot
The Model S and X have a gauge display like a normal car.

Like it or not, everything being reliant on a screen is the design preference right now, EV or not.
Old 02-10-22, 08:44 AM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The Model S and X have a gauge display like a normal car.

Like it or not, everything being reliant on a screen is the design preference right now, EV or not.
maybe the preference for Tesla owners but even that has been controversial for them over the years. The only other cars I can think of with everything on the screens is the Mercedes EQS, which everyone hates and Mach E that barely anyone is buying. There’s a reason pretty much every EV still has traditional buttons for basic functions.
Old 02-10-22, 09:00 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,672 Posts

We already pay for road tax, I think this was mentioned many, many, many times. We are charged an extra $100 a year registration fee, which covers lost gas tax revenue. You can spin it all you want. electricity will never be as expensive as gas, even if they raise the cost by 100 percent
Old 02-10-22, 09:04 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I forgot that everything is on the screen and I hate it. Another bit drawback of Tesla’s interior layout and don’t think they’ll be changing that anytime soon
For the same reasons you don't like Tesla, I'm in that camp as well, so I bought a Polestar 2. If you haven't seen my thread on it, check it out. They are gaining popularity
Old 02-10-22, 09:08 AM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

For the same reasons you don't like Tesla, I'm in that camp as well, so I bought a Polestar 2. If you haven't seen my thread on it, check it out. They are gaining popularity
those are really nice
Old 02-10-22, 09:13 AM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

We already pay for road tax, I think this was mentioned many, many, many times. We are charged an extra $100 a year registration fee, which covers lost gas tax revenue. You can spin it all you want. electricity will never be as expensive as gas, even if they raise the cost by 100 percent
for anyone who has any doubts on EVs being cheaper and why they will dominate the market. Watch this vid at the 3:10 mark
Old 02-10-22, 09:24 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

for anyone who has any doubts on EVs being cheaper and why they will dominate the market. Watch this vid at the 3:10 mark https://youtu.be/wjBGr1CvTek
I'll watch the video later on in the day, but I want to mention that Mach-e was another one on my list
Old 02-10-22, 09:33 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Well that’s $100 today when EVs are what 3-5% of new cars.
How about when they are 50%?! That $100 fee will be a few grand at least.

Death and taxes are the only sure bets. No way the government will lose gas tax revenue and not figure another way to tax EVs to make up for it.

For now though- I agree it is cheaper but will not last long.
Old 02-10-22, 09:34 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

for anyone who has any doubts on EVs being cheaper and why they will dominate the market. Watch this vid at the 3:10 mark https://youtu.be/wjBGr1CvTek
Excellent video. To the point, well articulated. When he talks about Horse and buggy owners, I just had to say hmmmmm
Old 02-10-22, 09:38 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Well that’s $100 today when EVs are what 3-5% of new cars.
How about when they are 50%?! That $100 fee will be a few grand at least.

Death and taxes are the only sure bets. No way the government will lose gas tax revenue and not figure another way to tax EVs to make up for it.

For now though- I agree it is cheaper but will not last long.
Whats the basis of few grand? Completely made up and fake news. California gets $100-$150 per car per year on gas tax and so the registrations are charged that way.

Quick Reply: Who has driven a Tesla?