EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Who has driven a Tesla?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-22 | 09:38 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Well that’s $100 today when EVs are what 3-5% of new cars.
How about when they are 50%?! That $100 fee will be a few grand at least.

Death and taxes are the only sure bets. No way the government will lose gas tax revenue and not figure another way to tax EVs to make up for it.

For now though- I agree it is cheaper but will not last long.
You have to share where you are getting this information. If what you are saying is true, only the wealthy will be able to afford cars. What you are doing is called "reaching". It's the same arguments I've heard when cars started getting emissions requirements more than 30 years ago

I guess in your new EV world order only the rich will be car owners

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-10-22 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-10-22 | 09:40 AM
1111GS

Originally Posted by Kingmatt24
Mach E that barely anyone is buying.
Why don't people like it? I'm not an EV fan but I thought it looked pretty good. I had not seen it for a long time then all the sudden I saw one yesterday and another one today.
Old 02-10-22 | 09:44 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
So i will pay for road tax but that will be more expensive than the gas tax? Makes no sense. Gas tax is very expensive and states are already charging upfront the lost revenue in higher registrations. I already pay the road tax and my EV will save at least $25k over a comparable ICE in the period I will own it. Until I actually see EVs being as expensive as ICE with my own eyes, ICE will always be way more expensive than EV. Not even remotely close.
And here I'm waiting for EVs to get cheap enough to make any sense over an ICE car.....
Old 02-10-22 | 09:45 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Why don't people like it? I'm not an EV fan but I thought it looked pretty good. I had not seen it for a long time then all the sudden I saw one yesterday and another one today.
They are selling pretty well. In 2020 Ford sold 8,285 and in 2021 they sold 27,140 Mach e. That's a lot in my book

https://carfigures.com/us-market-bra...mustang-mach-e
Old 02-10-22 | 09:45 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Those things are selling like hotcakes. Its supply constrained like all the other cars.
Old 02-10-22 | 09:47 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
And here I'm waiting for EVs to get cheap enough to make any sense over an ICE car.....
It depends on your buying preference. My EV will be cheaper than any comparable ICE as I refuse to buy used. You buy used and do your maintenance. We are completely different buyers.
Old 02-10-22 | 09:54 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

They are cheaper to own, the cost in fuel savings alone pays for the extra $100 or $150 registration fee, which we would pay anyway in gas taxes driving an ICE. Depending on what EV you are buying, they cost the same as a RAV4. If someone can afford a new Camry, RAV4, Tundra. IS, LS etc can afford an EV, which is cheaper to drive than all the cars I mentioned. Since I bought my Polestar, I pay less than $25 a month to drive it, my IS was costing me $70 a fill up every week. BTW, we are talking new cars, not used. The used market is completely different
Old 02-10-22 | 10:06 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
It depends on your buying preference. My EV will be cheaper than any comparable ICE as I refuse to buy used. You buy used and do your maintenance. We are completely different buyers.
What do you consider a comparable ICE car? I would consider a Camry/accord comparable in terms of features/fit finish with the obvious exception of speed stock. The accord would likely get my pick since stage II would get it close enough to your car aka around 4.5-4.7 seconds.

It would be substantially cheaper to buy 33.5k vs 57k including the retune and that leaves over 20k for gas at 26 mpg average is over 160,000 miles and it's still below the cost of the Tesla. I even left 3,500 in there for oil and coolant changes and one set of plugs and a new turbo at 75,000 miles. This is also assuming the Tesla is getting/can get its home charger for free or you have one already and aren't stuck using charging stations only.

Or I could spend 5k more on a hardware change and have "only" 120,000 miles worth of gas I can buy with the price difference. I may even see low 4s/high 3s with this as some people already are starting to get. I can also get my car fixed anywhere with massive parts networks, I can drive anywhere and have instant range reloads, and down the road I can easily increase power more.

Similar situation with the model X vs the explorer 3.5 T, people are already in the 11.5 1/4 mile range on stock hardware with those.
Old 02-10-22 | 10:10 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
They are cheaper to own, the cost in fuel savings alone pays for the extra $100 or $150 registration fee, which we would pay anyway in gas taxes driving an ICE. Depending on what EV you are buying, they cost the same as a RAV4. If someone can afford a new Camry, RAV4, Tundra. IS, LS etc can afford an EV, which is cheaper to drive than all the cars I mentioned. Since I bought my Polestar, I pay less than $25 a month to drive it, my IS was costing me $70 a fill up every week. BTW, we are talking new cars, not used. The used market is completely different
What EV is 26.5k? Normal people aren't going to max out these cars
Old 02-10-22 | 10:13 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

What do you consider a comparable ICE car? I would consider a Camry/accord comparable in terms of features/fit finish with the obvious exception of speed stock. The accord would likely get my pick since stage II would get it close enough to your car aka around 4.5-4.7 seconds.

It would be substantially cheaper to buy 33.5k vs 57k including the retune and that leaves over 20k for gas at 26 mpg average is over 160,000 miles and it's still below the cost of the Tesla. I even left 3,500 in there for oil and coolant changes and one set of plugs and a new turbo at 75,000 miles.

Or I could spend 5k more on a hardware change and have "only" 120,000 miles worth of gas I can buy with the price difference. I may even see low 4s/high 3s with this as some people already are starting to get. I can also get my car fixed anywhere with massive parts networks, I can drive anywhere and have instant range reloads, and down the road I can easily increase power more.

Similar situation with the model X vs the explorer 3.5 T, people are already in the 11.5 1/4 mile range on stock hardware with those.
My car at $57k runs 3s to 60 and mid 11s in the quarter. Also handles far better than a stock accord with track mode and can actually drift at will, has AWD and does 0.95g on the skidpad stock along with a 48/52 weight balance. The natural competitor to the Model 3 is the 3 series and no-one but you compares it to a Camcord. BTW, the Model 3s are doing fantastic at autocross and short track events. They are far from Accords.
Old 02-10-22 | 10:14 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

You have to share where you are getting this information. If what you are saying is true, only the wealthy will be able to afford cars. What you are doing is called "reaching". It's the same arguments I've heard when cars started getting emissions requirements more than 30 years ago

I guess in your new EV world order only the rich will be car owners

I’m not understanding your response.

Right now the government collects BILLIONS of dollars in gas taxes per year.
How will you account for this loss to tax revenue when /if EVs become 50% of new car sales?!
Old 02-10-22 | 10:15 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

What EV is 26.5k? Normal people aren't going to max out these cars
I don't know what car you are referring to, you have to be specific, but even a Civic is plus $30K with dealer markups. My friend just bought at an 11th Gen Civic Si, $35K. A 2022 Nissan Leaf starts at $28K
Old 02-10-22 | 10:17 AM
1111GS

Originally Posted by EZZ
Those things are selling like hotcakes. Its supply constrained like all the other cars.
They are selling pretty well. In 2020 Ford sold 8,285 and in 2021 they sold 27,140 Mach e. That's a lot in my book
https://carfigures.com/us-market-bra...mustang-mach-e
Makes sense.
Death and taxes are the only sure bets.
I and my boy were reading this last night. That guy had a lot of good quotes.
Old 02-10-22 | 10:20 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I’m not understanding your response.

Right now the government collects BILLIONS of dollars in gas taxes per year.
How will you account for this loss to tax revenue when /if EVs become 50% of new car sales?!
You realize that on a per car basis, gas tax is $400 on the high end for federal plus state? How do you get thousands of dollars in tax when the average car only pays between $200-400 in total gas tax per year? I have no problem paying a tax on EVs to offset the gas tax but spouting EVs will pay thousands per year on taxes is completely ludicrous...fake news.
Old 02-10-22 | 10:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kingmatt24
maybe the preference for Tesla owners but even that has been controversial for them over the years. The only other cars I can think of with everything on the screens is the Mercedes EQS, which everyone hates and Mach E that barely anyone is buying. There’s a reason pretty much every EV still has traditional buttons for basic functions.
The new S Class, and all other Mercedes models going forward. The new BMWs...

And people dont hate the hyperscreen in the EQS, its the design of the car. The reviews of the hyperscreen have been very positiive. And the Mach E is a huge sales success, they sold 60k of them last year, its the largest selling non Tesla EV model.

Like it or not, the industry is moving towards all screens.

S Class:

Attached Thumbnails Who has driven a Tesla?-mercedes_sclass_065.jpg  

Quick Reply: Who has driven a Tesla?