EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Who has driven a Tesla?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-22 | 11:24 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna-seca-post-1988

The link you put didn't have the Model 3 times. I posted Laguna which actually has a comparison. Model 3 Performance runs about the same as an M4 which is significantly faster than an M340. Thanks for proving the point.

Also, now you are comparing a ZL1 to a family car? Again, very flattering to a family sports sedan.
Same price tier since you brought up racing classes. When racing it's usually one person driving. Since you refuse to compare the 3 to accord in roles it's compatible in why not? Also, again, do you track your car?
Old 02-10-22 | 11:25 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
But for the price are they as good/practical? That's the issue here, the 3P is a borderline miracle of new car price/performance ratio.
However the fact is that is someone wants more than what it offers the options are just more expensive due to how well it's positioned, kinda like trying to beat the C8 vette at base price. Damn near impossible.

I'm not gonna drive a leaf, or Hyundai EV or something like that for 40k. And most people agree with me based on who buys what and how much spent on cars on average.

Tesla has an astounding price to performance ratio in the 3P that other makes really don't have.
Than you haven't seen the reviews for the Hyundai Ioniq 5, the Kia EV6, the Mustang Mach e or the Polestar 2. Or the F-150 Lightning if you like trucks. All got great reviews, all with models starting under $40K
Old 02-10-22 | 11:34 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I'm not sure why you are comparing an Accord with a Model 3. They don't even compete. As @EZZ mentioned, wrong wheel drive
Originally Posted by EZZ
He is totally grasping at straws to discredit the Model 3 with ridiculous arguments. Its not as fast as an M3 (~$90k price) or handles as well as a ZL1 (track package for a 6.2L Camaro V8). He can compare it to an Accord but nobody really compares them. Ridiculous
Counter my main points then. The 3P is the ONLY one with a good price to performance ratio. Both of you haven't addressed anything I've mentioned about price at all vs what you actually get as an overall package not just 0-60 of the best version of the 3 and it's short track/autocross performance while also insisting track times don't matter.

If someone cares about track times they WILL be cross shopping against the ZL1 and if they don't care about performance at all they WILL cross shot against the cars I mentioned. You keep flip flopping as to what people are shopping for. If I focus on practical and overall actually cost you bring up 0-60 and autocross that those people will never do, if I bring up track focused cars you say it's unfair since the 3 is a family car.

What is the use case we are discussing? I was under the impression it's the actual costs to buy, run, and how much the difference is for actually normal every day use. The fact is the gas car can drive 120-160k miles pending on situation/EV it's compared against before reaching the same price while fulfilling the usage goal/roles for most people and that's with me throwing in the free and assumed possible home charger. That's my point. The point of entry for a given level of function of a car is higher price wise with an EV and takes too long to normalize unless you want the brand to have it.
Old 02-10-22 | 11:36 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Than you haven't seen the reviews for the Hyundai Ioniq 5, the Kia EV6, the Mustang Mach e or the Polestar 2. Or the F-150 Lightning if you like trucks. All got great reviews, all with models starting under $40K
Great! Now how do those compare performance, range, and cost wise vs their gas direct equivalents. They probably beat some of them but for some people the lifestyle changes required break that equation.

I drove a 3P last year and it just doesn't give me anything over my gas cars at all for more money. The S does for 0-60 but I lose luxury and high speed outside of the plaid and P100 b it the cost is way too much for something that doesn't excite or feel special. So for me it doesn't make any sense but that's not the point here.

I am just providing a counter point. I don't actually have much investment aside from literal investments in T and rivian. I really hope Tesla can have something at the 30k price point that is mass market ready.

Last edited by Striker223; 02-10-22 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-10-22 | 11:46 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Great! Now how do those compare performance, range, and cost wise vs their gas direct equivalents. They probably beat some of them but for some people the lifestyle changes required break that equation.

I drove a 3P last year and it just doesn't give me anything over my gas cars at all for more money. The S does for 0-60 but I lose luxury and high speed outside of the plaid and P100 b it the cost is way too much for something that doesn't excite or feel special. So for me it doesn't make any sense but that's not the point here.

I am just providing a counter point. I don't actually have much investment aside from literal investments in T and rivian. I really hope Tesla can have something at the 30k price point that is mass market ready.
This is a unique market situation right now, everything is expensive, new and used cars. People are actually bragging about how much they paid over MSRP, where it used to be people bragged about how much they paid under invoice. EV's will get cheaper as more people adopt them, and they will only getter better. Although the concept of EV's goes way back, due to massive technological advances, the modern EV is in it's infancy. And if anyone likes it or not, they are future
Old 02-10-22 | 11:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

back to the thread topic please.
Old 02-10-22 | 11:53 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Counter my main points then. The 3P is the ONLY one with a good price to performance ratio. Both of you haven't addressed anything I've mentioned about price at all vs what you actually get as an overall package not just 0-60 of the best version of the 3 and it's short track/autocross performance while also insisting track times don't matter.

If someone cares about track times they WILL be cross shopping against the ZL1 and if they don't care about performance at all they WILL cross shot against the cars I mentioned. You keep flip flopping as to what people are shopping for. If I focus on practical and overall actually cost you bring up 0-60 and autocross that those people will never do, if I bring up track focused cars you say it's unfair since the 3 is a family car.

What is the use case we are discussing? I was under the impression it's the actual costs to buy, run, and how much the difference is for actually normal every day use. The fact is the gas car can drive 120-160k miles pending on situation/EV it's compared against before reaching the same price while fulfilling the usage goal/roles for most people and that's with me throwing in the free and assumed possible home charger. That's my point. The point of entry for a given level of function of a car is higher price wise with an EV and takes too long to normalize unless you want the brand to have it.
Someone buying a fast sports sedan will not consider a 2 door track machine...one is a swiss army knife, the other is a purposeful tool. We are discussing options within a segment meaning that people that cross shop a Model 3, cross shop the BMW 3 series and in that segment, the total cost of ownership of a Model 3 is significantly lower than a 3 series. A Tesla has no premium over a 3 series in terms of price, so its actually cheaper to own day 1.

If you compare a base Model 3 to a a decently equipped Accord at $30k, that is a $14k difference? If I save $2k-$3k on fuel each ear with no maintenance, you are looking at a 5-7 year breakeven with an Accord....which isn't even in the same class but you keep insisting on comparing. I paid $50 a month (pre-solar) to power my Model 3 Performance while I was driving 12-15k miles a year. I paid about $3000 in gas per year with my IS350 (same car, same class, way less performance) so my savings were about $2300 per year in fuel, $500 in maintenance on average (brakes, oil, lube, etc.). I've owned both types of cars now for many years and can easily say the breakeven with an Accord is only 5-7 years for a significantly inferior car. I don't know where you get your 120-160k miles. I've given you real world figures which I've kept every invoice on.
Old 02-10-22 | 12:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Someone buying a fast sports sedan will not consider a 2 door track machine...one is a swiss army knife, the other is a purposeful tool. We are discussing options within a segment meaning that people that cross shop a Model 3, cross shop the BMW 3 series and in that segment, the total cost of ownership of a Model 3 is significantly lower than a 3 series. A Tesla has no premium over a 3 series in terms of price, so its actually cheaper to own day 1.

If you compare a base Model 3 to a a decently equipped Accord at $30k, that is a $14k difference? If I save $2k-$3k on fuel each ear with no maintenance, you are looking at a 5-7 year breakeven with an Accord....which isn't even in the same class but you keep insisting on comparing. I paid $50 a month (pre-solar) to power my Model 3 Performance while I was driving 12-15k miles a year. I paid about $3000 in gas per year with my IS350 (same car, same class, way less performance) so my savings were about $2300 per year in fuel, $500 in maintenance on average (brakes, oil, lube, etc.). I've owned both types of cars now for many years and can easily say the breakeven with an Accord is only 5-7 years for a significantly inferior car. I don't know where you get your 120-160k miles. I've given you real world figures which I've kept every invoice on.
You live in Cali don't you?