EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla supercharger station gets cables stolen.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-22, 02:00 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
It's pretty sad when people are entertained by something bad happening to EV's and businesses that are EV related
Its fine...all they can do as the impending transition happens with or without their blessing. Probably why the cables were stolen in the first place...people hate change. I love how vandalism at 1 Supercharger station out of the tens of thousands gets noticed. Tesla news all the time...love it.
Old 02-10-22, 02:07 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Its fine...all they can do as the impending transition happens with or without their blessing. Probably why the cables were stolen in the first place...people hate change. I love how vandalism at 1 Supercharger station out of the tens of thousands gets noticed. Tesla news all the time...love it.
I guess then watching denial and desperation can be entertaining as well. When you have lemons, make lemonade!
Old 02-10-22, 02:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Four fast chargers every 50 miles—US unveils EV infrastructure plan

Nationwide EV charging network is moving forward quickly

More cable to steal?

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/02...tructure-plan/
Old 02-10-22, 02:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And I've had credit cards stolen at gas stations multiple times, people get mugged, raped, people's cars get stolen, there are fires, beggars selling spray wax and cleaning windshields, ever seen gas station lines on the NJ Turnpike?

This is nothing different. Bonus is I can change my EV at home and only have to visit a public charger a couple times a year, can't fuel my ICE car at home and have to risk a gas station once a week per car.

NJ turnpike rest stop gas line:

Few things. First, we have long established that EVs are great for the tiny minority of wealthy suburbanies who have the luxury to be able to afford them, maintain them, and charge them at home. No arguments here, except even they might want to have a second ICE car for long trips.

When it comes to gas lines, they only happen during cataclysmic events. I travel the turnpike NYC to VA at least once a month, never seen a line.

That being said, depending on location, a lot of gas stations are shoddy places, you want to be in and out ASAP. For instance I don't even let my wife go to gas stations alone because the beggars problem around my area is completely out of hand. Difference is, a gas station visit is a five minute ordeal, when people spending hours at charging station, this is going to attract all kinds of crime.
Old 02-10-22, 02:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

You don't think these facilities have cameras and other security failsafes? They do.
in the article (hint) it says most don't have cameras. the article wondered if a Tesla were there with its camera recording would help.
Old 02-10-22, 02:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

It's pretty sad when people are entertained by something bad happening to EV's and businesses that are EV related
I'm not so much entertained by something bad happening to EVs in particular, but more by the overall clown world degeneracy this country is spiraling down into with full support and encouragement of our leaders.

When opportunistic crime isn't being punished, there will be plenty of lowlives to steal these cables for $20 at the scrapyard, meanwhile it will cost tesla hundreds if not thousands to replace each one of them.
Old 02-10-22, 02:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
I'm not so much entertained by something bad happening to EVs in particular, but more by the overall clown world degeneracy this country is spiraling down into with full support and encouragement of our leaders.

When opportunistic crime isn't being punished, there will be plenty of lowlives to steal these cables for $20 at the scrapyard, meanwhile it will cost tesla hundreds if not thousands to replace each one of them.
I think my friend you should be more worried about your catalytic converter being stolen than a few EV charging cables
Old 02-10-22, 02:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Few things. First, we have long established that EVs are great for the tiny minority of wealthy suburbanies who have the luxury to be able to afford them, maintain them, and charge them at home. No arguments here, except even they might want to have a second ICE car for long trips.
63% of people have garage or carport parking. Very soon EVs aren't going to cost any more than ICE vehicles.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles...age-or-carport

When it comes to gas lines, they only happen during cataclysmic events. I travel the turnpike NYC to VA at least once a month, never seen a line.
And I travel the NJT to NJ all the time, and I have never not seen a line. In fact I specifically avoid fueling up on the NJT because of the lines.

And...I stood in line for gas in PA just this weekend.

That being said, depending on location, a lot of gas stations are shoddy places, you want to be in and out ASAP. For instance I don't even let my wife go to gas stations alone because the beggars problem around my area is completely out of hand. Difference is, a gas station visit is a five minute ordeal, when people spending hours at charging station, this is going to attract all kinds of crime.
So I suppose you admit that gas stations are beacons for crime also. And nobody spends hours at a charging station lol

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
in the article (hint) it says most don't have cameras. the article wondered if a Tesla were there with its camera recording would help.
Sounds like they will now.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-10-22 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-10-22, 02:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

63% of people have garage or carport parking. Very soon EVs aren't going to cost any more than ICE vehicles.

And I travel the NJT to NJ all the time, and I have never not seen a line. In fact I specifically avoid fueling up on the NJT because of the lines.

So I suppose you admit that gas stations are beacons for crime also.

Sounds like they will now.
I haven't been to a gas station since January, and I don't miss it one little bit. Well Ok, just a little....
Old 02-10-22, 02:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I haven't been to a gas station since January, and I don't miss it one little bit
Who would?!?
Old 02-10-22, 02:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Just no on so many levels. Many people have a carspot in the name only, in many of these spots chargers are unfeasible, and in many rural parts of the country people are so poor they can't put 50 bucks together. As far as EVs being cheap, they are not going to be cheap to maintain, those who buy cheap used cars won't be able to afford $10-20k battery replacements, and batteries are never getting cheap.

No idea when you travel, but I never ever seen a line, and I mostly fuel up in NJ. Maybe if you travel during the holidays when there is increased travel, but even then, we often travel for holidays and there is never a line. Plus there are a ton of local gas stations if you get off the turnpike, it's just not an issue.

So I suppose you admit that gas stations are beacons for crime also.
Oh absolutely, that's why you want to be in and out as fast as possible. Charging stations are going to be a lot more convenient for those who want to commit crime.
Old 02-10-22, 02:56 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Who would?!?
Well I did once snap a pic as I was passing by. Does that make me a voyeur?

Old 02-10-22, 03:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Just no on so many levels. Many people have a carspot in the name only, in many of these spots chargers are unfeasible, and in many rural parts of the country people are so poor they can't put 50 bucks together. As far as EVs being cheap, they are not going to be cheap to maintain, those who buy cheap used cars won't be able to afford $10-20k battery replacements, and batteries are never getting cheap.
Once all the cheap used cars are EVs, then thats what they will buy. Battery replacements wont be $10-20k, if they are even needed just like engines aren't $20k even though a new one is. There will be salvage packs, used packs, remanufactured packs, etc. This is a process that will take a REALLY long time...but yes if manufacturers stop making anything but EVs, eventually thats what cheap used cars will be too.

We're talking about garages and carports, not "parking spots". This is NYC thinking, when you get out in the suburbs most homes can accommodate a charger for a car. You'll also have people able to charge at work when parked, etc. For instance, I posted the picture outside my new office there is a whole row of EV chargers. I could charge while parked at work, and never have to charge at home. Thats an amenity that you're seeing pop up in garages like that all over.

No idea when you travel, but I never ever seen a line, and I mostly fuel up in NJ. Maybe if you travel during the holidays when there is increased travel, but even then, we often travel for holidays and there is never a line. Plus there are a ton of local gas stations if you get off the turnpike, it's just not an issue.
Weekends, holidays and not.

Right, its not an issue and this isn't nearly as big an issue as you say it is either.

Well I did once snap a pic as I was passing by. Does that make me a voyeur?

Hey look, a line! lol
Old 02-10-22, 03:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Once all the cheap used cars are EVs, then thats what they will buy. Battery replacements wont be $10-20k, if they are even needed just like engines aren't $20k even though a new one is. There will be salvage packs, used packs, remanufactured packs, etc. This is a process that will take a REALLY long time...but yes if manufacturers stop making anything but EVs, eventually thats what cheap used cars will be too.
Battery packs are not getting cheap, no way. The demand for rare earth metals is only going to increase, and so will the price of battery packs. Salvage and remanufactured packs are going to be good for a few month at best, and a huge fire hazard.

We're talking about garages and carports, not "parking spots". This is NYC thinking, when you get out in the suburbs most homes can accommodate a charger for a car. You'll also have people able to charge at work when parked, etc.
Ugh, no. For instance I have a driveway that on paper can accommodate 3-4 cars, in reality I never use it because it is super inconvenient, and it is typical for cities. NYC alone is 12 million people, so take that out of your 64% bs statistic. Most neighborhoods in NYC, if they somehow get public charging stations, the cables will get stolen the very next day, lol.
Old 02-10-22, 03:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Battery packs are not getting cheap, no way. The demand for rare earth metals is only going to increase, and so will the price of battery packs. Salvage and remanufactured packs are going to be good for a few month at best, and a huge fire hazard.

Ugh, no. For instance I have a driveway that on paper can accommodate 3-4 cars, in reality I never use it because it is super inconvenient, and it is typical for cities. NYC alone is 12 million people, so take that out of your 64% bs statistic. Most neighborhoods in NYC, if they somehow get public charging stations, the cables will get stolen the very next day, lol.
Your totally wrong. in 2008 a battery pack for a Prius was $10K, my friend just replaced his for $900 and some change with a warranty. I don't know why you guys are in such a state of denial. Wake up and smell reality

Quick Reply: Tesla supercharger station gets cables stolen.