EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla supercharger station gets cables stolen.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-22, 03:22 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Here's a company that sells and replaces the battery for under $2K:

https://greenbeanbattery.com/prius-hybrid-battery/

They are going to 1000 percent become cheaper, that's how all electronics work, from TV's to Microwaves. You guys have negative waves that just emanate all around you
Old 02-10-22, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Battery packs are not getting cheap, no way. The demand for rare earth metals is only going to increase, and so will the price of battery packs. Salvage and remanufactured packs are going to be good for a few month at best, and a huge fire hazard.
Thats just ridiculous. They have been selling used and remanufactured battery packs for hybrids for 10+ years and they aren't terribly expensive at all. Perfectly safe, warrantied

Ugh, no. For instance I have a driveway that on paper can accommodate 3-4 cars, in reality I never use it because it is super inconvenient, and it is typical for cities. NYC alone is 12 million people, so take that out of your 64% bs statistic. Most neighborhoods in NYC, if they somehow get public charging stations, the cables will get stolen the very next day, lol.
You live in NYC, most people don't. I'm in the real estate business in an executive capacity with a national company. I have watched inventory and traveled all over the country and seen the housing inventory. Most homes in suburban areas can accommodate a vehicle charging solution. Urban settings are a different story.

And its not my statistic...look it up. Similar stats are available from a variety of sources.

You hate EVs and dread whats coming, but this absurd gaslighting has got to stop. All of this will work itself out in time. Remember, people used to have horses that pulled buggies and to them cars were playthings for the rich, imagine how improbable the current infrastructure for cars looked then.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-10-22 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-10-22, 03:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Your totally wrong. in 2008 a battery pack for a Prius was $10K, my friend just replaced his for $900 and some change with a warranty. I don't know why you guys are in such a state of denial. Wake up and smell reality
You simply do not understand how warranty on these remanufactured parts works. The $900 battery pack is some old almost depleted pack, if it fails before the warranty fails the manufacturer will provide replace it with another one that is just as bad, and he'll still be on the hook for labor to replace it. A new battery pack from the factory has not gotten any cheaper.
Old 02-10-22, 03:27 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
You simply do not understand how warranty on these remanufactured parts works. The $900 battery pack is some old almost depleted pack, if it fails before the warranty fails the manufacturer will provide replace it with another one that is just as bad, and he'll still be on the hook for labor to replace it. A new battery pack from the factory has not gotten any cheaper.
Your just so negative. He been running on this battery pack for two years and it hasn't lost capacity yet. Even if it does in the next 3 or 4 years its so cheap you can replace them again
Old 02-10-22, 03:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
And you think the repairs people "who don't have $50 to rub together" make to their "old dilapidated cars" come with warranties? You think they aren't replacing dead transmissions with almost dead transmissions?!

There are ABSOLUTELY legitimate warrantied solutions for replacement battery packs for hybrids and there have been for years.
Old 02-10-22, 03:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Here's a company in MD. Just Google.

https://greenbeanbattery.com/prius-h...AaAqIbEALw_wcB
Old 02-10-22, 03:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Here's a company in MD. Just Google.

https://greenbeanbattery.com/prius-h...AaAqIbEALw_wcB
My brain is hurting just reading all this denial, might as well not provide proof because it seems to be a pretty meaningless exercise
Old 02-10-22, 03:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Thats just ridiculous. They have been selling used and remanufactured battery packs for hybrids for 10+ years and they aren't terribly expensive at all. Perfectly safe, warrantied
There are very few remanufactured parts that are quality, they are mostly junk. Unlike the hybrids, most EVs use lithium battery which have the chemistry akin to dynamite - premixed for explosion. There is nothing safe about a battery pack remanufactured by some shady shop.

You live in NYC, most people don't. I'm in the real estate business in an executive capacity with a national company. I have watched inventory and traveled all over the country and seen the housing inventory. Most homes in suburban areas can accommodate a vehicle charging solution. Urban settings are a different story.

And its not my statistic...look it up. Similar stats are available from a variety of sources..
Suburban areas yes, but your 64% statistic includes urban areas such as NYC, that's why I call BS.

You hate EVs and dread whats coming, but this absurd gaslighting has got to stop.
I don't hate EVs, and I don't dread what's coming, lol. There will be plenty of ICEs for my lifetime, the EV narrative will encounter some "unforeseen difficulties" because reality is a thing. I'm just enjoying watching the turdshow.
Old 02-10-22, 03:42 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

A brand new battery pack from Toyota is $2500, and a new engine from Toyota for a Prius is $4000 plus. Most people don't buy new, they buy used or refurbished regardless if it's an engine, transmission or a hybrid battery pack. Even the lead acid batteries we buy for our cars are all refurbs
Old 02-10-22, 03:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

On the stolen cables, I don't know if they have copper in them or not, but, if they do, right there is one possible clue why they were stolen. Copper, right now, is like gold on the black market.......has been for several years. Thieves are ripping copper-parts off left and right. Just ask any plumber....he or she is likely to have been ripped off recently, as our own condo-maintenance man was.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-10-22 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-10-22, 03:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

And you think the repairs people "who don't have $50 to rub together" make to their "old dilapidated cars" come with warranties? You think they aren't replacing dead transmissions with almost dead transmissions?!
Oh absolutely, and by doing that they are often only digging themselves deeper into the hole. Pay to replace a dead part with an almost dead part, get stuck on the road, pay for the tow truck, pay for labor to install another half dead part.

Lithium battery packs are expensive for a reason, it is not just manufacturers being greedy, and experts agree they will only increase in price as demand increases.

Last edited by Och; 02-10-22 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-10-22, 03:51 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
On the stolen cables, I don't know if they have copper in them or not, but, if they do, right there is one possible clue why they were stolen. Copper, right now, is like gold on the black market.......has been been for several years. Thieves are ripping copper-parts off left and right. Just ask any plumber....he or she is likely to have been ripped off recently, as our own condo-maintenance man was.
Of course, there are construction demolition crews bringing whatever copper wire to the scrap yards all the time. The Tesla supercharger cable is rated for over 500V/400A, there is a lot of copper in it. Once the word spreads, cable theft is going to become widespread.

Last edited by geko29; 02-10-22 at 07:26 PM. Reason: removed political content
Old 02-10-22, 03:54 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Of course, there are construction demolition crews bringing whatever copper wire to the scrap yards all the time. The Tesla supercharger cable is rated for over 500V/400A, there is a lot of copper in it. Once the word spreads, cable theft is going to become widespread.
An EV cable, they might get $10 if they are lucky, so I would worry more about getting my CAT stolen, which gets a thief gets between $50 and $200 per CAT

Last edited by geko29; 02-10-22 at 07:26 PM. Reason: removed quoted political content
Old 02-10-22, 04:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
There are very few remanufactured parts that are quality, they are mostly junk. Unlike the hybrids, most EVs use lithium battery which have the chemistry akin to dynamite - premixed for explosion. There is nothing safe about a battery pack remanufactured by some shady shop.
I think this is a situation where you think you know more about this than you do. Where are all the reports of these remanufactured battery packs exploding? There aren't any. There will be remanufactured EV battery packs

And in any event, a new from Tesla pack for a Model 3 is about $7,000. On the Chrysler Pacifica forums owners are paying $9,000 for new engines.

Suburban areas yes, but your 64% statistic includes urban areas such as NYC, that's why I call BS.
Again, not my statistic but yes it includes urban areas, that just shows you how high the % is in non-urban areas to compensate for the % being that high. Its from the American Housing Survey as part of the US Census. But, I guess thats not legitimate either? (thats the gaslighting)

If you would like to read the whole survey here it is:

https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...filtergroup2=1

Here's the breakdown:

I don't hate EVs, and I don't dread what's coming, lol.
Oh, please! LMAO.

Originally Posted by Och
Oh absolutely, and by doing that they are often only digging themselves deeper into the hole. Pay to replace a dead part with an almost dead part, get stuck on the road, pay for the tow truck, pay for labor to install another half dead part.
And they will do the same with old EVs.

Old 02-10-22, 04:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
An EV cable, they might get $10 if they are lucky, so I would worry more about getting my CAT stolen, which gets a thief gets between $50 and $200 per CAT
Apples to oranges. I'll take measures to protect my own property, but I couldn't care less if someone steals cables at an EV charging station. The people stealing these cables for $10 at the scrapyard are not exactly rational human beings, they are just trying to score a hit of meth, lol.

Quick Reply: Tesla supercharger station gets cables stolen.