EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla supercharger station gets cables stolen.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-22, 04:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Apples to oranges. I'll take measures to protect my own property, but I couldn't care less if someone steals cables at an EV charging station. The people stealing these cables for $10 at the scrapyard are not exactly rational human beings, they are just trying to score a hit of meth, lol.
Than this whole thread is pointless I'm afraid, because if you couldn't care less, why write it, especially with all the hubris from the first post. You should delete it immediately!
Old 02-10-22, 04:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think this is a situation where you think you know more about this than you do. Where are all the reports of these remanufactured battery packs exploding? There aren't any. There will be remanufactured EV battery packs

And in any event, a new from Tesla pack for a Model 3 is about $7,000. On the Chrysler Pacifica forums owners are paying $9,000 for new engines.
Completely different chemistry between a Prius pack and a Tesla pack. NiMH batteries are not even flammable, while Lithium batteries possess severe fire risk. In a shoddily remanufactured pack, a single bad cell can lead to disaster.

Again, not my statistic but yes it includes urban areas, that just shows you how high the % is in non-urban areas to compensate for the % being that high. Its from the American Housing Survey as part of the US Census. But, I guess thats not legitimate either? (thats the gaslighting)

If you would like to read the whole survey here it is:
You are simply ignoring the reality of many of those parking spaces - many of them are not usable, or not suitable for a charger, or in areas where people can't afford EVs and EV chargers.

Oh, please! LMAO.
I legit don't hate EVs, I was excited about them and almost bought one years ago. I hate the forced EV narrative, but I'm not worried about it. Naturally, when the thieves come and snip the cables from the narrative, I gloat, which is the point of this particular thread.

And they will do the same with old EVs.
Yeah, except you can drive a bad ICE with engine that knocks, and smokes, and burns oil for years. A bad battery pack renders the EV useless.
Old 02-10-22, 04:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Completely different chemistry between a Prius pack and a Tesla pack. NiMH batteries are not even flammable, while Lithium batteries possess severe fire risk. In a shoddily remanufactured pack, a single bad cell can lead to disaster.
Um, I hate to break it to you, but Prius use, drumroll....Lithium Ion!
Old 02-10-22, 04:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Um, I hate to break it to you, but Prius use, drumroll....Lithium Ion!
Not the old ones.
Old 02-10-22, 04:26 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Battery packs are not getting cheap, no way. The demand for rare earth metals is only going to increase, and so will the price of battery packs. Salvage and remanufactured packs are going to be good for a few month at best, and a huge fire hazard.

Ugh, no. For instance I have a driveway that on paper can accommodate 3-4 cars, in reality I never use it because it is super inconvenient, and it is typical for cities. NYC alone is 12 million people, so take that out of your 64% bs statistic. Most neighborhoods in NYC, if they somehow get public charging stations, the cables will get stolen the very next day, lol.
I have a lot more faith in someone DIY repairing a battery pack than an engine, it's borderline idiot proof. Check the cell banks, if out of spec check the cells, replace the cells, put it back. Doesn't require much skill to do. Issue is the park has a LOT of cells and to do it right you will need to load balance them and possibly replace a lot of them and that will never get cheaper due to the materials involved.

The 10-20k packs will go away as the only options, but I don't know how low the price will drop. It won't ever drop to the $700-900 range for a good used one.
Old 02-10-22, 04:28 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Not the old ones.
The older Prius can be replaced with Li-Ion as well. The battery pack my friend replaced 2 years ago was a Li-Ion battery pack
Old 02-10-22, 04:28 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
You simply do not understand how warranty on these remanufactured parts works. The $900 battery pack is some old almost depleted pack, if it fails before the warranty fails the manufacturer will provide replace it with another one that is just as bad, and he'll still be on the hook for labor to replace it. A new battery pack from the factory has not gotten any cheaper.
No but refits are common now and for the small/cheap hybrid pack technology it's easy to do. My concern is the newer packs BMS might require a form of DRM moving forward forcing you to buy only OE cells at whatever price they want if they sell them to you at all.
Old 02-10-22, 04:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Hey look, a company that replaces old Prius NiMH batteries with Lithium Ion. Guess what they cost? $2K.

https://projectlithium.com/products/...placement-pack

Yes, the free market will create aftermarket solutions to meet the need. It ALWAYS does.

Originally Posted by Och
Yeah, except you can drive a bad ICE with engine that knocks, and smokes, and burns oil for years. A bad battery pack renders the EV useless.
Not necessarily, a bad battery pack can mean reduced range and performance but the vehicle may still function.

And, when do we design products for those who buy them 25 years down the line and can barely afford to maintain them? Literally nothing we design as a society is geared towards that lowest common denominator. They will figure it out.

In any event, we are decades and decades and decades away from there being no, or even few ICE options for old Cletus to buy for $200 and clack around in lol

You are simply ignoring the reality of many of those parking spaces - many of them are not usable, or not suitable for a charger, or in areas where people can't afford EVs and EV chargers.
And you are ignoring all the other realities of how people will be able to charge cars without having to charge them at home. Like I said, I could charge an EV at work right now, today and never have to charge it at home. That ability is only going to become more widespread.
Old 02-10-22, 04:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
No but refits are common now and for the small/cheap hybrid pack technology it's easy to do. My concern is the newer packs BMS might require a form of DRM moving forward forcing you to buy only OE cells at whatever price they want if they sell them to you at all.
That might be true in the beginning during the warranty period, but there are a number of startups here in the Bay Area that are concentrating on swappable battery packs. The idea is to be able to swap the old batteries (or possibly discharged batteries) for fresh batteries in 10 minutes or less. Here's one of them:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/a...attery-system/
Old 02-10-22, 04:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hey look, EV charging roads:

https://futurism.com/ev-charging-roads-sweden

Innovation will win the day. (not saying this is a solution, just that solutions will come)
Old 02-10-22, 04:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
I have a lot more faith in someone DIY repairing a battery pack than an engine, it's borderline idiot proof. Check the cell banks, if out of spec check the cells, replace the cells, put it back. Doesn't require much skill to do. Issue is the park has a LOT of cells and to do it right you will need to load balance them and possibly replace a lot of them and that will never get cheaper due to the materials involved.
Technically yes, however if an idiot, or just a dishonest technician, rebuilds an engine improperly it most likely won't run right from the very start. However if a dishonest technician rebuilds a battery pack improperly with bad unprotected cells, it won't show right away, but then it has a high risk of igniting while being charged. It depends on the dynamics of the battery remanufacturing industry, I imagine most automakers will not approve of remanufactured packs, and will not want to have used packs to even end up in the hands of rebuilders.

In any case, if you only replace a few cells at a time, you'll only be coming back to replace more in the nearmost future, if you replace all of them, it will cost as much as a new pack.
Old 02-10-22, 04:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Technically yes, however if an idiot, or just a dishonest technician, rebuilds an engine improperly it most likely won't run right from the very start.
That is completely wrong
Old 02-10-22, 04:37 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Hey look, EV charging roads:

https://futurism.com/ev-charging-roads-sweden

Innovation will win the day. (not saying this is a solution, just that solutions will come)
No, no, no, we can't have that! I don't want any road charging my EV without my permission!
Old 02-10-22, 04:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Hey look, a company that replaces old Prius NiMH batteries with Lithium Ion. Guess what they cost? $2K.

https://projectlithium.com/products/...placement-pack

Yes, the free market will create aftermarket solutions to meet the need. It ALWAYS does.
So $2k for a prius battery that has way less capacity than a full BEV.

Not necessarily, a bad battery pack can mean reduced range and performance but the vehicle may still function.

And, when do we design products for those who buy them 25 years down the line and can barely afford to maintain them? Literally nothing we design as a society is geared towards that lowest common denominator. They will figure it out.

In any event, we are decades and decades and decades away from there being no, or even few ICE options for old Cletus to buy for $200 and clack around in lol
Well that kind of exactly what I am saying.

And you are ignoring all the other realities of how people will be able to charge cars without having to charge them at home. Like I said, I could charge an EV at work right now, today and never have to charge it at home. That ability is only going to become more widespread.
More cables to steal.
Old 02-10-22, 04:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

That is completely wrong
It is completely correct. Never mind an engine, speak to auto mechanics - most much simple remanufactured parts such as distributors, alternators, bearings, etc are bad right out of the box.

Quick Reply: Tesla supercharger station gets cables stolen.