EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla supercharger station gets cables stolen.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-22, 04:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
So $2k for a prius battery that has way less capacity than a full BEV.
By the time EVs are as ubiquitous as hybrids and have been around as long, there will be much lower cost options for battery replacements for them as well. So lets see where we've gone, originally you said there were no decent aftermarket/remanufactured battery options for hybrids, and we proved that was wrong. Then you said none of them would be warrantied, we proved that wrong. Then you said they were all NiMH and nobody could do that with Lithium ion, and we proved that wrong. Now it doesnt matter because EVs require bigger batteries. I can't even see the goalposts they are moving so fast lol

Well that kind of exactly what I am saying.
You're saying that because of that we're never going to see a changeover from ICE cars to EVs and thats just not true. Look at all the companies that are saying they will be EV ONLY. They're not all of a sudden going to reverse course. Within 10-15 years all the cars we will want to buy will be EVs.

It is completely correct. Never mind an engine, speak to auto mechanics - most much simple remanufactured parts such as distributors, alternators, bearings, etc are bad right out of the box.
Tons of shoddy repair work doesn't make itself known until time and mileage are passed, and lots of remanufactured parts work fine at first and wear out more quickly over time
Old 02-10-22, 05:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

I can't keep up with your constantly moving goal posts and predictions that go against reality. It reminds of my son when he was 5 years old and we were playing a game where he kept changing the rules so he could never lose. It was fine playing with a 5 year old, but you know, I eventually you get tired and give up
Old 02-10-22, 05:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
By the time EVs are as ubiquitous as hybrids and have been around as long, there will be much lower cost options for battery replacements for them as well. So lets see where we've gone, originally you said there were no decent aftermarket/remanufactured battery options for hybrids, and we proved that was wrong. Then you said none of them would be warrantied, we proved that wrong. Then you said they were all NiMH and nobody could do that with Lithium ion, and we proved that wrong. Now it doesnt matter because EVs require bigger batteries. I can't even see the goalposts they are moving so fast lol
I'm not moving goalposts, I'm responding to information as it is being presented. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to Prius batteries, in one post Amirza claimed Prius batteries were $10k when new, in another he said they are $2.5k brand new from Toyota. Quite the disparity here, if Toyota reduced the price of the battery pack from 10k to 2.5, why bother with a remanufactured one? EV manufacturers will not be reducing lithium battery pack prices.

You're saying that because of that we're never going to see a changeover from ICE cars to EVs and thats just not true. Look at all the companies that are saying they will be EV ONLY. They're not all of a sudden going to reverse course. Within 10-15 years all the cars we will want to buy will be EVs.
Nah, they'll backtrack. BMW already said they will continue ICE development, including V8s. There will be plenty of TTV8 ICE cars we will want to buy in 10-15 years, they'll just equip them with a plug in hybrid system.

Tons of shoddy repair work doesn't make itself known until time and mileage are passed, and lots of remanufactured parts work fine at first and wear out more quickly over time
A properly rebuilt modern engine isn't just about parts wearing out quickly, these engines are extremely complex to assemble, a single mistake and it wont run right from the start. And speak to mechanics, when it comes to rebuilt parts that have rotating assemblies, 2 out of 3 are bad out of the box.
Old 02-10-22, 05:32 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
I'm not moving goalposts, I'm responding to information as it is being presented. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to Prius batteries, in one post Amirza claimed Prius batteries were $10k when new, in another he said they are $2.5k brand new from Toyota. Quite the disparity here, if Toyota reduced the price of the battery pack from 10k to 2.5, why bother with a remanufactured one? EV manufacturers will not be reducing lithium battery pack prices.

Nah, they'll backtrack. BMW already said they will continue ICE development, including V8s. There will be plenty of TTV8 ICE cars we will want to buy in 10-15 years, they'll just equip them with a plug in hybrid system.

A properly rebuilt modern engine isn't just about parts wearing out quickly, these engines are extremely complex to assemble, a single mistake and it wont run right from the start. And speak to mechanics, when it comes to rebuilt parts that have rotating assemblies, 2 out of 3 are bad out of the box.
Read my post again. They were $10k fifteen years ago. Today they are under $2500 new, huge price drop
Old 02-10-22, 05:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Read my post again. They were $10k fifteen years ago. Today they are under $2500 new, huge price drop
So its either Toyota was overcharging for them fifteen years ago, or they are now selling them at a loss to satisfy customers. Either way, this is a bargain, and it is not going to happen with EVs, lithium battery packs are going to remain expensive and will even increase in price as demand for lithium outsrips supply.

My stance on aftermarket and remanufactured packs stays the same. There hasn't been any good aftermarket phone/laptop batteries, never mind car battery packs. And before you start again with the warranty, a POS with a warranty is a guaranteed POS.
Old 02-10-22, 05:44 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Technically yes, however if an idiot, or just a dishonest technician, rebuilds an engine improperly it most likely won't run right from the very start. However if a dishonest technician rebuilds a battery pack improperly with bad unprotected cells, it won't show right away, but then it has a high risk of igniting while being charged. It depends on the dynamics of the battery remanufacturing industry, I imagine most automakers will not approve of remanufactured packs, and will not want to have used packs to even end up in the hands of rebuilders.

In any case, if you only replace a few cells at a time, you'll only be coming back to replace more in the nearmost future, if you replace all of them, it will cost as much as a new pack.
I've seen cars burn down form improper work.
Old 02-10-22, 05:45 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
It is completely correct. Never mind an engine, speak to auto mechanics - most much simple remanufactured parts such as distributors, alternators, bearings, etc are bad right out of the box.
Okay now this I will back up since it is true, I will never forget a 2011 impala that I had to go though 5 alternators to get one that actually worked properly. I also had 13 Moveras transmissions fail on me over a two year period and it resulted in my switching away from advance auto entirely. Utter garbage brand, warranty reimbursement, and they are rebuilt just barely good enough to work for a year or so. Absolute trash. God I lost so much money.

Same issues with cheaper, non-Jap made wheel bearings etc...it's getting worse as time goes on. It's bad enough that for my personal cars I no longer bother with non-OE parts due to such severe quality problems. Used to be that the high end aftermarket was better than stock. Very depressing

Last edited by Striker223; 02-10-22 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-10-22, 05:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
So its either Toyota was overcharging for them fifteen years ago, or they are now selling them at a loss to satisfy customers. Either way, this is a bargain, and it is not going to happen with EVs, lithium battery packs are going to remain expensive and will even increase in price as demand for lithium outsrips supply.

My stance on aftermarket and remanufactured packs stays the same. There hasn't been any good aftermarket phone/laptop batteries, never mind car battery packs. And before you start again with the warranty, a POS with a warranty is a guaranteed POS.
It's because these batteries were exclusively made for hybrids and they were not that many on the road. But let me leave you with this... remember the cost of Prius when it first came to market? It was expensive, and basically a rich and Hollywood celebrity status symbol car trying to prove they were being environmentally conscious. It would take at least 5 to 10 years for the gas savings to be worth it. Now they (hybrids) are cheap. Everyone had the same exact argument as the EV argument, except now a lot of those same people are suddenly hybrid advocates. Think about that for awhile
Old 02-10-22, 06:03 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och

Bull*****. You can REALLY mess up with an engine and it will run, poorly perhaps, but it will run. You can leave half the main caps off and it will run, you can put the valve retainers in upside down and it will run, there are SO many things you can do wrong in the timing system and it will still run.

If BMW is actually serious about one more TTV8 and it is able to be bought in a 7 series.....well if it's 1000hp capable I MAY, strong may, consider one. A plug in EV mode would be useful for store runs instead of having to take the long loop home to ensure oil temp and space for one 100mph run. With a plug in mode I can just do the 4 miles and not care as much. Currently I just don't take any of the 8s there for that run
Old 02-10-22, 06:04 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

It's because these batteries were exclusively made for hybrids and they were not that many on the road. But let me leave you with this... remember the cost of Prius when it first came to market? It was expensive, and basically a rich and Hollywood celebrity status symbol car trying to prove they were being environmentally conscious. It would take at least 5 to 10 years for the gas savings to be worth it. Now they (hybrids) are cheap. Everyone had the same exact argument as the EV argument, except now a lot of those same people are suddenly hybrid advocates. Think about that for awhile
Hybrids suck for the most part. Just pick one or the other unless the systems are standalone, aka you can drive it full gas or full electric and the EV system is under 400lb total.
Old 02-10-22, 06:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Okay now this I will back up since it is true, I will never forget a 2011 impala that I had to go though 5 alternators to get one that actually worked properly.

Same issues with cheaper, non-Jap made wheel bearings etc...
True story from years ago, when I was young and poor. I had my first car, a Honda Civic, I drove it to a store about 40 blocks from where I lived. Finished shopping, got in the car, it cranked but would not start, and I determined it was a bad distributor. I did not want to spend the $ for a tow, so I pushed it home 40 blocks with my wife at the steering wheel. Then I found a cheap distributor on ebay that was about $100 cheaper than OEM, and installed it myself. When I installed it, the car first started, and the engine was missing and running poorly for about 30 seconds, then it died, and no matter how much I adjusted timing it just wouldn't start. It started a few times for a few seconds, coughing and puffing, and then completely refused to start.

At that point I gave up, and had it towed to the repair shop. Their technician laughed, said to never use aftermarket distributors, installed a genuine distributor and had to pull out the spark plugs and torch dry them as they were flooded. Lesson learned, instead of initially spending the extra $100 on genuine part, it cost me at least $600 more for the tow, mechanic's bill, and the bad distributor that I could not even return. Not to mention at least a week without the car, and the time I spend working on it myself. Only other time I used aftermarket parts were aftermarket ball joints on my LS400. They lasted less than a year.

Good aftermarket parts are ones that are purpose made to meet or exceed OEM specs, and their price usually reflects that. Cheap aftermarket and remanufactured parts are generally junk, and in case of remanufactured lithium battery packs also a fire hazard.
Old 02-10-22, 06:09 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Bull*****. You can REALLY mess up with an engine and it will run, poorly perhaps, but it will run. You can leave half the main caps off and it will run, you can put the valve retainers in upside down and it will run, there are SO many things you can do wrong in the timing system and it will still run.
Correct, that's why I said such engine wont run right from the start.

If BMW is actually serious about one more TTV8 and it is able to be bought in a 7 series.....well if it's 1000hp capable I MAY, strong may, consider one. A plug in EV mode would be useful for store runs instead of having to take the long loop home to ensure oil temp and space for one 100mph run. With a plug in mode I can just do the 4 miles and not care as much. Currently I just don't take any of the 8s there for that run
Their engines are already 1000hp capable, transmissions not so much.

Old 02-10-22, 06:17 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Hybrids suck for the most part. Just pick one or the other unless the systems are standalone, aka you can drive it full gas or full electric and the EV system is under 400lb total.
I fully agree, not a fan of them, never have, but I will say, the 55 mpg fuel economy of the Prius is impressive. Not fun, but impressive
Old 02-10-22, 06:20 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

What? Google original Prius MSRP, it was 20k, and leases were often heavily discounted, plus many municipalities offered a bunch of perks such as use of HOV lane and discounted tolling. I dont think Hollywood celebrities actually drove their Priuses, they added them to their car collections just to virtue signal to plebs.
Old 02-10-22, 06:27 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
What? Google original Prius MSRP, it was 20k, and leases were often heavily discounted, plus many municipalities offered a bunch of perks such as use of HOV lane and discounted tolling. I dont think Hollywood celebrities actually drove their Priuses, they added them to their car collections just to virtue signal to plebs.
​​​​​​No, wrong. They were above $40k and had all kinds of markups. My friend bought a Prius C for $28k in 2015, that was the cheaper Prius. Sorry, they were expensive and mainly driven by Silicone Valley types as well as celebrities in the early 2000's. Tomorrow I'll post some links

Quick Reply: Tesla supercharger station gets cables stolen.