EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla supercharger station gets cables stolen.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-22, 09:54 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking Tesla supercharger station gets cables stolen.

https://insideevs.com/news/566070/te...es-cut-stolen/

Absolutely hilarious, and yet another nail in the coffin of the "EVs are the future" pipe dream. Metal prices are skyrocketing, and scrap yards pay top dollar for copper cables. Its only a matter of time until feral proletariats en masse realize a great new source of loot, and start robbing these stations daily. Might also rob all the dead Teslas pulling into these stations for some coal juice.

Name:  KReqvNw.gif
Views: 8
Size:  1.50 MB
Old 02-10-22, 10:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
https://insideevs.com/news/566070/te...es-cut-stolen/

Absolutely hilarious, and yet another nail in the coffin of the "EVs are the future" pipe dream. Metal prices are skyrocketing, and scrap yards pay top dollar for copper cables. Its only a matter of time until feral proletariats en masse realize a great new source of loot, and start robbing these stations daily. Might also rob all the dead Teslas pulling into these stations for some coal juice.

What a nightmare lol!! I think you might be overreacting just a bit.
Old 02-10-22, 10:06 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

I'm not overreacting, I'm gloating.
Old 02-10-22, 12:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

These ATM things are never going to catch on, people are just going to keep going into the bank to do their banking...what a ridiculous think to think people will use something that might be stolen.

Elkridge Gas Station ATM theft:

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/elkri...theft/38461216

All kidding aside, stuff gets vandalized, the Supercharger station will be repaired.
Old 02-10-22, 12:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
These ATM things are never going to catch on, people are just going to keep going into the bank to do their banking...what a ridiculous think to think people will use something that might be stolen.

Elkridge Gas Station ATM theft:

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/elkri...theft/38461216

All kidding aside, stuff gets vandalized, the Supercharger station will be repaired.
supercharge cables are likely to be a lot easier to steal (snip, snip) than an atm!
Old 02-10-22, 12:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
supercharge cables are likely to be a lot easier to steal than an atm!
I dunno, those guys stole that ATM pretty quick!
Old 02-10-22, 12:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Stealing an ATM machine is quite a bit more involved, plus it likely has a tracker device, and cops generally respond to ATM thefts. Meanwhile each supercharger has $20 worth of copper scrap just sitting there. Any deadbeat with a pair of bolt cutters and a bicycle can snip it off and bring it to a scrap yard.

Would be hilarious to see a video of a wealthy suburbanite plug in his Tesla and go get a soy latte, meanwhile a junkie try to cut the live wire and get vaporized by 500v @ 400amps.
Old 02-10-22, 01:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You don't think these facilities have cameras and other security failsafes? They do.

Criminals steal stuff...when you manage property, people try and steal service entry cables and power meters...A/C units, does that mean people don't have these things on their homes? Or that its silly that they have them?

The fact that people want to steal the things that make up an EV car charger doesn't mean that the future is not in EVs lol
Old 02-10-22, 01:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Maybe Tesla should retrofit their superchargers where there is no cable, only a plug, and customers bring their own cable.
Old 02-10-22, 01:05 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Maybe Tesla should retrofit their superchargers where there is no cable, only a plug, and customers bring their own cable.
You can't. The new DC fast charging cables are liquid cooled.
Old 02-10-22, 01:07 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

You don't think these facilities have cameras and other security failsafes? They do.

Criminals steal stuff...when you manage property, people try and steal service entry cables and power meters...A/C units, does that mean people don't have these things on their homes? Or that its silly that they have them?

The fact that people want to steal the things that make up an EV car charger doesn't mean that the future is not in EVs lol
Property theft is not really being prosecuted, cops don't care most of the time. Public charging stations are going to be a source of comedy that will keep on giving. Cable theft, chimpouts over empty spots, beggars harassing customers, huge lines.

Many such cases.
Old 02-10-22, 01:13 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

don't forget, stealing gasoline out of someone's gas tank has been a theft going on for a long time...... some modern cars make it more difficult to get the car fuel door open depending on the model, but theft of gasoline still occurs
I have'nt heard lately, but with gas prices in California over $5 a gallon, I would wonder if that raises the motivation to steal gas.
there will be downsides to all methods of automobile power.....

Old 02-10-22, 01:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

I know something that's way more valuable than charging cables, criminals risk their life stealing it, exhibit violence when confronted, theft rings have been built around them, and it's reached pandemic proportions: Catalytic converter theft. Here's an idea: lets stop driving cars. Sigh

https://www.nicb.org/news/news-relea...ing-nationwide

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-10-22 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-10-22, 01:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Property theft is not really being prosecuted, cops don't care most of the time. Public charging stations are going to be a source of comedy that will keep on giving. Cable theft, chimpouts over empty spots, beggars harassing customers, huge lines.

Many such cases.
And I've had credit cards stolen at gas stations multiple times, people get mugged, raped, people's cars get stolen, there are fires, beggars selling spray wax and cleaning windshields, ever seen gas station lines on the NJ Turnpike?

This is nothing different. Bonus is I can change my EV at home and only have to visit a public charger a couple times a year, can't fuel my ICE car at home and have to risk a gas station once a week per car.

NJ turnpike rest stop gas line:

Old 02-10-22, 01:56 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

And I've had credit cards stolen at gas stations multiple times, people get mugged, raped, people's cars get stolen, there are fires, beggars selling spray wax and cleaning windshields, ever seen gas station lines on the NJ Turnpike?

This is nothing different. Bonus is I can change my EV at home and only have to visit a public charger a couple times a year, can't fuel my ICE car at home and have to risk a gas station once a week per car.

NJ turnpike rest stop gas line:
It's pretty sad when people are entertained by something bad happening to EV's and businesses that are EV related

Quick Reply: Tesla supercharger station gets cables stolen.