EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Q4 & Full Year 2021 Financials + New Factory in Saudi Arabia

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-22, 07:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I completely disagree. The Lucid Air was one of the most exciting cars I have sat in in a long time, and the only EV that has come out so far that I have any desire to own. Like I said, the store was full of other enthusiastic people and all the reviews have been really enthusiastic. Wait and see.
Old 03-03-22, 07:41 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Sure individual models can falter and company survives.
When i sat in LS500, i knew right away it was going to be epic failure when i hit my head on the headliner. My dad drove LS for many years and i know the market.
Lexus/Toyota can withstand the hit of new LS being a failure. Now if it was original LS400, Lexus brand would never have been able to achieve its success.

The Lucid car is NOTHING special at all.
Its REALLY expensive, does nothing new that Tesla has not already done, zero innovation, no cool “techy” features to capture the general public imagination, no showman CEO to get following for the brand, no national/govt support like Toyota/Hyundai/Ford etc benefit from.

The best LUCID can do is eventually sell its IP to anther larger automaker.
At this point they are bleeding money and will be for many years.
Everyone who has seen and driven a Lucid, including people like J Leno who is pretty much the ultimate enthusiast would completely and utterly disagree with you. So would all the people who help sell out the reservation for the top of the line model
Old 03-03-22, 08:12 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

The best LUCID can do is eventually sell its IP to anther larger automaker.
At this point they are bleeding money and will be for many years.
At least this means they will be around for many years.
Old 03-03-22, 11:26 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

This company has no chance to survive.
I have said this from the day i saw the car in person.

The stock price should be under $10.
It’s always more less like gamble. You could short now if you feel so strong it would go below 10. Imo though 37.9B cap should be a safe bet. Just don’t buy s $$$$ load at once

. Today looks like a good entry point.
Old 03-03-22, 01:43 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Everyone who has seen and driven a Lucid, including people like J Leno who is pretty much the ultimate enthusiast would completely and utterly disagree with you. So would all the people who help sell out the reservation for the top of the line model
I don’t disagree that its a capable car.

But its really expensive and doesn’t stand out in anything and doesn’t bring anything new that is “i gotta have it for the rich” or “cool factor” to trend on social media.

Its like a meh product…..
Old 03-03-22, 01:48 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1111GS
It’s always more less like gamble. You could short now if you feel so strong it would go below 10. Imo though 37.9B cap should be a safe bet. Just don’t buy s $$$$ load at once

. Today looks like a good entry point.
I think it has more room to drop - the war and further shortages are very bad for everyone but especially small companies like Lucid. Not to mention the higher costs for all raw materials. Look at Rivian announcement.

Facebook right now looks like a tremendous value. I rather gamble on it being around in 5yrs.
Old 03-03-22, 01:52 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I completely disagree. The Lucid Air was one of the most exciting cars I have sat in in a long time, and the only EV that has come out so far that I have any desire to own. Like I said, the store was full of other enthusiastic people and all the reviews have been really enthusiastic. Wait and see.
Honest question- what did u find exciting compared to your Sclass?!
The tech in it is not great and Matt Farah had several bugs on his test with it.
Tesla is light years ahead with their infotainment.

The interior colors/trim are all plain and limited compared to other true luxury cars.
Old 03-03-22, 06:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its like a meh product…..
Your opinion

Honest question- what did u find exciting compared to your Sclass?!
My S Class isn't an EV. I can list MANY things I preferred about the Lucid Air over the EQS.

I love the styling, materials inside were very good, I like the normal seating position, the interior space relative to the exterior size, all the reviews say it rides and drives great, 500 miles to a charge.

Much more appealing than a Model S too IMO, its an old design, the interior is improved but the yoke is a deal killer for me. The Model S doesnt ride/drive as well nor is it as quiet.

I would only buy a Lucid Air if I was going to go EV, I still prefer the S Class. But I wouldn't even consider an EQS over a Lucid Air.
Old 03-03-22, 06:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Facebook right now looks like a tremendous value. I rather gamble on it being around in 5yrs.
off topic, but i see fb p/e is pretty low now, but is it on its way to being the new aol / myspace and become irrelevant? besides fb app/website itself, instagram, whatsapp have massive user bases, but will it hold? it seems a ton of the market has moved to tiktok (ugh).

But I wouldn't even consider an EQS over a Lucid Air.
hilarious you'd consider a car from a company that's only shipped, what, a few hundred if that, vs a company that's shipped tens of millions and has been in business for over a century.

the lucid air like the model s is technically impressive. but it seems the lucid infotainment is woefully unfinished (good luck waiting years for OTA updates to get it more complete). i also find the bar of soap design wanting and the interior not cohesive and imo, not very attractive. but technically, between power and range, it's pretty amazing.

Old 03-04-22, 05:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
hilarious you'd consider a car from a company that's only shipped, what, a few hundred if that, vs a company that's shipped tens of millions and has been in business for over a century.

the lucid air like the model s is technically impressive. but it seems the lucid infotainment is woefully unfinished (good luck waiting years for OTA updates to get it more complete). i also find the bar of soap design wanting and the interior not cohesive and imo, not very attractive. but technically, between power and range, it's pretty amazing.
I will not consider any car that I don't like, regardless of how "experienced" they are at making cars. I strongly dislike the EQS, just no way I would ever get one. Would you spend $125,000+ on a car that you hate looking at? This is not an economy "transportation" car purchase.

If I were buying a car for forever then I would be worried about all of that from Lucid, but I lease and its gone in 3 years. If the Lucid experiment was awful, I would just ditch it. Cars are not a permanent thing in my garage. Infotainment, supposedly they now have Carplay, which is all I need. I never even use a car's native infotainment.
Old 03-04-22, 07:22 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

I will not consider any car that I don't like, regardless of how "experienced" they are at making cars. I strongly dislike the EQS, just no way I would ever get one. Would you spend $125,000+ on a car that you hate looking at? This is not an economy "transportation" car purchase.
If I were buying a car for forever then I would be worried about all of that from Lucid, but I lease and its gone in 3 years. If the Lucid experiment was awful, I would just ditch it. Cars are not a permanent thing in my garage. Infotainment, supposedly they now have Carplay, which is all I need. I never even use a car's native infotainment.
I too can not spend money on something I don't like. A car can have wonderful features but if I can not like how it looks, I just can't justify for the purchase, let alone a big purchase. I can "give up" some features but I have to like how it looks outside (I walk to the car at least twice a day and I wash it too ) and inside is a must. Btw, what is it about CarPlay that you like so much? Except text notification, for me I don't see anything else special about it. And since it has become a common thing, I feel... it looks kind of cheap. I have it off on mine.
Old 03-04-22, 11:32 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Your opinion

My S Class isn't an EV. I can list MANY things I preferred about the Lucid Air over the EQS.

I love the styling, materials inside were very good, I like the normal seating position, the interior space relative to the exterior size, all the reviews say it rides and drives great, 500 miles to a charge.

Much more appealing than a Model S too IMO, its an old design, the interior is improved but the yoke is a deal killer for me. The Model S doesnt ride/drive as well nor is it as quiet.

I would only buy a Lucid Air if I was going to go EV, I still prefer the S Class. But I wouldn't even consider an EQS over a Lucid Air.
LOL all of your points are Subjective and you only want comparison to EVs.
You like the styling and materials? - have you sat in a Taycan TurboS. It blows away this Lucid in material quality, design, options, customization etc. It definitely looks and handles better also. Plus its a PORSCHE, not a no-name brand that nobody knows.
BTW if Porsche is too sporty, go check out Audi E-tron GT. Another amazing design with incredible build quality.

The Model S has the “it” and “cool” factor. It has amazing tech inside that connects with young people who like this yoke wheel and all the other silly nonsense.

The interior and exterior colors on Lucid are so plain. Exterior styling is not unique nor does it have good technology.

The fact that it “rides” well is subjective. Its $150k luxury car. That should not be even something out of the ordinary. The back seat space is tight especially headroom.

It’s just not an Aspirational or Unique car. For a new company to get traction, you need to be a market changer. LS400 did that for Lexus. Prius did that. Tesla did that.
I don’t see anything new that Lucid is providing that I can’t get from another automaker.
Old 03-04-22, 11:43 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
off topic, but i see fb p/e is pretty low now, but is it on its way to being the new aol / myspace and become irrelevant? besides fb app/website itself, instagram, whatsapp have massive user bases, but will it hold? it seems a ton of the market has moved to tiktok (ugh)[size=33px].
[/size]

If you look at the financials, Revenue growth continues to be incredibly strong. I think the future guidance they provided scared everybody off. This is a company that has a profit margin of 30%. I just don’t get the huge drop.
I also believe in Zuckerberg and think he will continue to innovate. With 5G, you will have way more ways to connect digitally. Whether Metaverse is the new FB or not, i think he will be able to monetize some of the services built from those programs.
FB is definitely not next Aol/myspace. But they do need to develop another strong revenue stream.
Old 03-04-22, 12:30 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,672 Posts

LOL all of your points are Subjective and you only want comparison to EVs.
You like the styling and materials? - have you sat in a Taycan TurboS. It blows away this Lucid in material quality, design, options, customization etc. It definitely looks and handles better also. Plus its a PORSCHE, not a no-name brand that nobody knows.
BTW if Porsche is too sporty, go check out Audi E-tron GT. Another amazing design with incredible build quality.

The Model S has the “it” and “cool” factor. It has amazing tech inside that connects with young people who like this yoke wheel and all the other silly nonsense.

The interior and exterior colors on Lucid are so plain. Exterior styling is not unique nor does it have good technology.

The fact that it “rides” well is subjective. Its $150k luxury car. That should not be even something out of the ordinary. The back seat space is tight especially headroom.

It’s just not an Aspirational or Unique car. For a new company to get traction, you need to be a market changer. LS400 did that for Lexus. Prius did that. Tesla did that.
I don’t see anything new that Lucid is providing that I can’t get from another automaker.
You're right, so as someone who's owned and driven many different types of ICE vehicles over the last 30 years and just recently got into EV'S, EV'S are superior. As God is my witness, I will never buy another brand new ICE again, unless I'm forced to replace my Sienna with another Minivan, and only because there are no EV alternatives... at this moment. And I'm not saying this lightly to start a debate or for shock purposes. I'm about 90 percent@SW17LS will never turn back to ICE once he eventually buys or leases his first one. I'm not saying that lightly either. I'm only holding on to my IS350 for nostalgic reasons, not because it's practical.

Yes, looks are subjective. If you don't like the way it looks, you have that right. But I think you are wrong it will be a failure as a company and product. The same thing was predicted for Tesla, and a lot of people are eating Elon's leftover crow

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-04-22 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-04-22, 12:52 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786

Yes, looks are subjective. If you don't like the way it looks, you have that right. But I think you are wrong it will be a failure as a company and product. The same thing was predicted for Tesla, and a lot of people are eating Elon's leftover crow
Tesla almost didn’t make it.
Elon will tell you himself that its a miracle they survived to this point.

Tesla had a ton of publicity and Elon is a magnet for attention. Tesla was 1st with this revolutionary technology not just as EV but also with the interior driver interface.

Lucid has none of this. Plus this perfect storm of war, increased gas prices, all types of shortages etc makes production costs skyrocket. Not good for a company that has poor liquidity already.

Quick Reply: Lucid Q4 & Full Year 2021 Financials + New Factory in Saudi Arabia