EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Preview of Electric Lineup RZ

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-22, 07:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It was some time ago, but back when Lexus introduced the first IS300, the industry knew about it, and its details, well in advance, although it can also be argued that because it was so strongly based on the non-U.S.-market Toyota Altezza, many of those specs/details were already known. As you probably know, I liked the 1Gen IS300, and bought one...that's how I joined CL.
it was over 20 years ago, and the 'industry' knew details, as you point out, because the car was already on the market as the identical altezza.
Old 03-15-22, 07:25 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
When have you EVER known Lexus to release a bunch of information and details early? It's always been their MO, don't act surprised.
Most recent example is the LX600, which had its first spyshots in August last year, and the full reveal came two months later with almost every major spec sheet number. Meanwhile we first saw images of the RZ production model with some technical details in December last year, now 3 months on we have yet to see any official numbers.
Old 03-15-22, 07:29 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It was some time ago, but back when Lexus introduced the first IS300, the industry knew about it, and its details, well in advance, although it can also be argued that because it was so strongly based on the non-U.S.-market Toyota Altezza, many of those specs/details were already known. As you probably know, I liked the 1Gen IS300, and bought one...that's how I joined CL.
As you say, folks only knew those details because the car had already been out for a couple of years in Japan as the Altezza. It wasn’t due to any early press release from Lexus.

Sorry Mike not the same scenario at all and 20+ years ago isn’t all that relevant.

Originally Posted by Motorola
Most recent example is the LX600, which had its first spyshots in August last year, and the full reveal came two months later with almost every major spec sheet number. Meanwhile we first saw images of the RZ production model with some technical details in December last year, now 3 months on we have yet to see any official numbers.
lol so spyshots are now part of the official Lexus press release cycle?

website and magazine pics don’t change that they are notoriously and annoyingly tight lipped on official info until the last minute. Expecting anything else will just get you frustrated

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-15-22 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-15-22, 07:44 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

lol so spyshots are now part of the official Lexus press release cycle?
That's my point. The LX's entire debut cycle from our first view of it in public to its full showing with every major spec sheet number was shorter than the time it's taking for the RZ to complete a fraction of that cycle. More to the point, the LX had most spec sheet numbers the moment it was officially announced, while the RZ still has nothing 3 months after it was announced.

I don't recall the last Lexus model that took this long in between showing the production version to announcing the technical details and specs.
Old 03-15-22, 08:06 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Lol so what was the cycle like on the last Lexus BEV released?

Just saying your expectations are way out of whack and not likely to be appeased. This is not unusual or worthy of complaint imo.
Old 03-15-22, 08:14 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Lol so what was the cycle like on the last Lexus BEV released?

Just saying your expectations are way out of whack and not likely to be appeased. This is not unusual or worthy of complaint imo.
You mean the UX300e? The full specs of the battery size and range were revealed the moment the car was announced.

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/lexus/30609957.html

My expectations are completely reasonable for the RZ based on previous Lexus announcements.
Old 03-15-22, 08:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Let’s move on, as you clearly are just picking and trying to get under my skin.

You can just sit on your hands and wait like we always do to get the specs when they come out (and then complain about them too)….
Old 03-15-22, 08:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Specs will come closer to the sales date.

For now they are talking about Bz which started sales already and will start deliveries in 2 months.

Baterry size and performance will be interesting, i am sure it will have good regular vehicle features.
Old 03-15-22, 08:40 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 469 Likes on 310 Posts

Perhaps RZ is compact like Motorola says, because the vehicle below does look a little compact on big wheels with beautifully short overhangs [I can't stand long overhangs], but then it should be NZ, because RZ tends to denote midsize?

The other possibility is that RZ is a medium sized 4 door coupe, and the 4 door coupe nature makes it a little smaller than the RX?
I think more of the latter, but you never know...

Old 03-15-22, 08:43 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Technically the BZ4X has a longer wheelbase than the RX (112 vs 110 inches), so despite being a smaller car on the outside it still has more passenger room on the inside. That's how I think they can justify giving this a midsize R name even if it's dimensionally identical to the BZ.
Old 03-15-22, 08:53 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Technically the BZ4X has a longer wheelbase than the RX (112 vs 110 inches), so despite being a smaller car on the outside it still has more passenger room on the inside. That's how I think they can justify giving this a midsize R name even if it's dimensionally identical to the BZ.
I don't have equivalent photos from the same angle, but to me, the RZ looks bigger than bZ?
RZ seems to have bigger wheels, taller, longer wheelbase and shorter overhangs?
But of course, all questionable...

Old 03-15-22, 09:06 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

They look almost the same size, even the door for the charging port cover looks proportionally the same and is in the exact same position. The Lexus has slightly longer overhangs and larger wheels that better fill in the wheel gap.

Last edited by Motorola; 03-15-22 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-15-22, 09:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

The charge door location hints that most everything is stuffed under the hood meaning no funk space. Hopefully not but looks that way.
Old 03-15-22, 09:50 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

They look almost the same size, even the door for the charging port cover looks proportionally the same and is in the exact same position. The Lexus has slightly longer overhangs and larger wheels that better fill in the wheel gap.
The old ICEV Toyota K Platform certainly has a shorter wheelbase than EV e-TNGA, but it could be anything...

Old 03-16-22, 05:42 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
The charge door location hints that most everything is stuffed under the hood meaning no funk space. Hopefully not but looks that way.
or toyota has figured out if people tow it would be a better idea to have the charge port at the front. A simple concept that other manufacturers are unable to figure out.

Quick Reply: Preview of Electric Lineup RZ