EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S stunt goes wrong

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-22, 03:52 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
It wouldn't be hard the car via FSD already knows exactly where you are, speed, elevation, the street and its features. What I'm really saying is I think we are headed to a time when the car will prevent you from driving how you want.
And that's my hatred for EVs. It will happen, just give it time and a slow rollout of "reasonable" restrictions
Old 03-23-22, 04:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
And that's my hatred for EVs. It will happen, just give it time and a slow rollout of "reasonable" restrictions
That doesnt have anything to do with EVs. All of that is just as possible with ICEs.
Old 03-23-22, 05:15 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

that's not happening anytime soon, I was in court for a vehicle violation 5-6 years back, I was fighting a ticket. Cop gave me a ticket for tints and I had a waiver. there was this guy on his 3 or 4th DUI and he was in a crash again, suspended license but he walked no jail Time. For the life of me I didn't stand how he would continue to drive. meanwhile in Delaware.

https://www.fox29.com/news/police-de...pended-license

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Yeah, I don't really want that, although there are people that have no business being behind the wheel of a car, like idiots who put others lives in danger by racing etc. The solution for them is permanently remove their driving privileges, take their cars from them and put them behind bars if they continue to drive
Old 03-23-22, 05:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

That doesn't happen here, 1 DUI and license gone for a year. Another one then not sure could be 5. People still booze and drive anyway.
Old 03-23-22, 06:11 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That doesnt have anything to do with EVs. All of that is just as possible with ICEs.
It's not, a mechanical device can always have standalone operation. A BMS can have a script that locks it out if it doesn't have OTA connection for a given time period. Electronics can be hell if you get locked out, ransomware is a pain to deal with for example since some methods of attack can brick you entirely.
Old 03-23-22, 06:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

It's not, a mechanical device can always have standalone operation. A BMS can have a script that locks it out if it doesn't have OTA connection for a given time period. Electronics can be hell if you get locked out, ransomware is a pain to deal with for example since some methods of attack can brick you entirely.
Any modern car can be bricked by bad code, malicious software, or negligence. I bricked my 2018 Civic Si flashing a stage 1 tune, my laptop went to sleep, interrupting the flash. Luckily I had a backup of the stock map. I was able to re flash back to stock, than flash the tune
Old 03-23-22, 07:18 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Any modern car can be bricked by bad code, malicious software, or negligence. I bricked my 2018 Civic Si flashing a stage 1 tune, my laptop went to sleep, interrupting the flash. Luckily I had a backup of the stock map. I was able to re flash back to stock, than flash the tune
Now extend that to all the BMS controllers, with any engine you can always just run a standalone that you can make out of nearly anything. Batteries in the way they are used in EVs require a lot more management and are much more difficult to come up with an alternative control system. Every hybrid I've worked on has a much more computer system like EV side than any ICE car and full EVs are rolling integrated systems.

I highly dislike any tech that the end user doesn't have control over, the right to repair movement clearly outlines you don't really own something if you can't work on it.
Old 03-23-22, 07:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Absolutely not. It should obey the users inputs at all times.
so people like you can go 150 on public roads.

we're already way beyond that though. automatic emergency braking, lane keep assistance, traction control, heck even anti-lock brakes, etc., modern cars are already doing a lot of stuff. yes, most of that can be turned off, today.

Now extend that to all the BMS controllers, with any engine you can always just run a standalone that you can make out of nearly anything.
hardly. "any" modern engine requires electronics and software to run. whatever 'standalone' devices you're referring to may work on some older engines, but not all of them. i believe your main concern is the impact to your chosen profession which is understandable.

Batteries in the way they are used in EVs require a lot more management and are much more difficult to come up with an alternative control system. Every hybrid I've worked on has a much more computer system like EV side than any ICE car and full EVs are rolling integrated systems.
yes even hybrids, notice how they're not "chipped" like in the old days to get more performance?

I highly dislike any tech that the end user doesn't have control over, the right to repair movement clearly outlines you don't really own something if you can't work on it.
again, we're already way beyond that. you obviously possess skills and tools most people don't so you're not typical. i NEVER want to open the hood of any vehicle.

My answer there would also be no
you really don't want a car to stop someone going 100 through your kid's school zone. mmmkay.

It wouldn't be hard the car via FSD already knows exactly where you are, speed, elevation, the street and its features. What I'm really saying is I think we are headed to a time when the car will prevent you from driving how you want.
exactly.
Old 03-23-22, 07:46 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Now extend that to all the BMS controllers, with any engine you can always just run a standalone that you can make out of nearly anything. Batteries in the way they are used in EVs require a lot more management and are much more difficult to come up with an alternative control system. Every hybrid I've worked on has a much more computer system like EV side than any ICE car and full EVs are rolling integrated systems.

As we've discussed before, most users don't like to, know how to, want to work on their own vehicle. Software on EV'S is not what would break them generally. If an update fails they will fall back to backup firmware or go into limp mode. You would have a battery issue long before you have a software problem
Old 03-23-22, 07:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

People still booze and drive anyway.

They do that because they are not getting caught. And they aren't getting caught because there isn't much traffic enforcement any more. In my area (Northern Virginia), the police don't even enforce license-plate stickers, the front-plate-law, and safety-inspections any more, much less actual traffic laws. We've got large numbers of vehicles running around that are WAY out of date......sometimes several years. I see dozens of them each day.
Old 03-23-22, 07:53 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome to San Francisco. I won't say anything else because it would be too political.
it's in LA not SF

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...l#post11251443
Old 03-23-22, 07:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome to San Francisco. I won't say anything else because it would be too political.
It didn't happen in San Francisco, it happened in LA. Only a Southern Californian would do something that stupid, film it and put it on their YouTube/Ticktock. People in SF have better things to do, like drink $20 coffee, wear old clothes they overpaid for from a thrift store and think they look cool
Old 03-23-22, 07:56 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so people like you can go 150 on public roads.

we're already way beyond that though. automatic emergency braking, lane keep assistance, traction control, heck even anti-lock brakes, etc., modern cars are already doing a lot of stuff. yes, most of that can be turned off, today.

hardly. "any" modern engine requires electronics and software to run. whatever 'standalone' devices you're referring to may work on some older engines, but not all of them. i believe your main concern is the impact to your chosen profession which is understandable.

yes even hybrids, notice how they're not "chipped" like in the old days to get more performance?

again, we're already way beyond that. you obviously possess skills and tools most people don't so you're not typical. i NEVER want to open the hood of any vehicle.

you really don't want a car to stop someone going 100 through your kid's school zone. mmmkay.

exactly.
Any of it can be turned off, blind the sensor or interfere with the system. My A8 has its front camera disabled to prevent it being able to auto brake etc.

A standalone system is something as simple as a PI board etc....much easier to control a mechanical engine were at the end of the day the signals that need to be monitored and sent are very simple.

I have no concern whatsoever profession wise since I'm one of the few who knows how to deal with these due to my other background plus it's not a lifetime career for me. It was just a hobby that people tend to pay me a lot for, car systems are a joke compared to computer coding. Except EVs are very much full computers with admin rights or not, they also have more than enough non-integrated systems I'll have plenty to work on if I want to continue.

You allow any type of external control of your car it will eventually for the sake of "safety" cease to be yours. That is true across any industry that mentality was allowed.
Old 03-23-22, 08:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I don't want cars to enforce laws. Equating these erosions of freedom to necessary safety precautions is how they get passed.

Your logic is the same as saying someone who doesn't want gun rights taken away wants their kids school to be shot up by a mad gunman.
Old 03-23-22, 08:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't want cars to enforce laws. Equating these erosions of freedom to necessary safety precautions is how they get passed.

I have to agree with bit. There are no "freedoms" to do triple-digit speeds on public roads.

Sorry about the SF comment, folks...I'll stand partially-corrected on that. I watched that video on several sources, and some of the comments mentioned SF instead of LA....perhaps assuming that it was one of those notorious steep SF hills. I probably should have looked at a couple more sources, more closely, before commenting.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S stunt goes wrong