EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

charging EVs on long trips...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-22, 10:24 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Plenty of info on it just a quick google search away. The 20% loss maybe without cabin heating, 40% with cabin heating. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/co...ies-2019-02-07

The new Tesla heat pump design is a completely fail, it doesn't work in extreme colds. https://electrek.co/2022/01/12/tesla...failing-badly/

Ironically, global warming can't come fast enough, as it is the only saving grace for EVs.
Oh my. I gave you a 2022 article on the most recent stats with the newest EVs and you provide an archaic 2019 article that doesn't even include the latest EVs with heat pumps? There was already a software fix that resolved the heat pump issues...old news already.

Again, a google search will show that you are just spreading fake news and complete bull****. 40% was the old tech with resistive heaters like the i3 and garbage Bolt. The latest EVs are in the 20% range in cold weather. Again, where is your magical 400 mile range EV that loses 40%? Sad.
Old 03-29-22, 10:25 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Plenty of info on it just a quick google search away. The 20% loss maybe without cabin heating, 40% with cabin heating. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/co...ies-2019-02-07

The new Tesla heat pump design is a completely fail, it doesn't work in extreme colds. https://electrek.co/2022/01/12/tesla...failing-badly/

Ironically, global warming can't come fast enough, as it is the only saving grace for EVs.
You would agree that countries like Sweden and Denmark have very cold winters? In the Polestar 2 forum which I belong, owners from colder climate regions are reporting up to 20 percent range loss when using the cabin heater when equipped with heat pumps
Old 03-29-22, 10:30 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Oh my. I gave you a 2022 article on the most recent stats with the newest EVs and you provide an archaic 2019 article that doesn't even include the latest EVs with heat pumps? There was already a software fix that resolved the heat pump issues...old news already.

Again, a google search will show that you are just spreading fake news and complete bull****. 40% was the old tech with resistive heaters like the i3 and garbage Bolt. The latest EVs are in the 20% range in cold weather. Again, where is your magical 400 mile range EV that loses 40%? Sad.
Uh, no, people are reporting heat pump issues after multiple software "fixes". It is a physical design flaw, the software fix is nothing but a bandaid that does not fully resolve it.

So then 40% loss with old tech, and the new tech just doesn't work.
Old 03-29-22, 10:34 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
You would agree that countries like Sweden and Denmark have very cold winters? In the Polestar 2 forum which I belong, owners from colder climate regions are reporting up to 20 percent range loss when using the cabin heater when equipped with heat pumps
There are what, 12 Polestars in the whole of Sweden?

I'm sure most EV owners in cold climates have the ability to preheat and indoor parking.
Old 03-29-22, 10:39 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
There are what, 12 Polestars in the whole of Sweden?

I'm sure most EV owners in cold climates have the ability to preheat and indoor parking.
There were over 20,000 alone sold in Europe in 2021, they are extremely popular in places like Sweden and Denmark. Most people don't even know what they are and they are selling like crazy. They suspended sales to April 11th due to high demand. But it looks like you are just resorting to deflection on this issue
Old 03-29-22, 10:42 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Uh, no, people are reporting heat pump issues after multiple software "fixes". It is a physical design flaw, the software fix is nothing but a bandaid that does not fully resolve it.

So then 40% loss with old tech, and the new tech just doesn't work.
All new EVs come with heat pumps. Any new system with any heat pump will lose 20% in the winter. Its not magic.
Old 03-29-22, 01:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I suspect most wealthy EV owners will also have a second ICE car for long trips.
fire up the G Wagon, GLS, X7, LX or Range Rover

What I write about is actual real world daily use.
california is, uh, unique. the rest of the country doesn't have as high gas prices, has less solar, sunshine, and chargers.

The problem is that extremely smart and logical people seem to allow bias to overtake their thinking when it comes to EV's.
in both (optimistic and pessimistic) directions.

There were over 20,000 alone sold in Europe in 2021, they are extremely popular in places like Sweden and Denmark.
most likely due to HUGE government subsidies like in norway. norway's EV "success" is pointed out a lot, but you'd be an idiot NOT to buy an EV with those kind of incentives. the irony to me is their ECONOMY is based on OIL they get from ocean. (great series show to watch based on this: occupation)

Originally Posted by EZZ
All new EVs come with heat pumps. Any new system with any heat pump will lose 20% in the winter. Its not magic.

one problem i have with tesla in particular is their EPA #'s have repeatedly been shown to be unattainable - they're too optimistic. now the opposite WLTP standard appears to be absurdly exaggerated too but that's not the car's fault. now i just saw an article saying kia's ev6 isn't meeting its #'s either. the only EVs i've seen that seem to meet or exceed #'s are mach-e's and taycans.

anyway, all this will continue to improve as the cars/batteries improve and infrastructure improves.
Old 03-29-22, 01:31 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
california is, uh, unique. the rest of the country doesn't have as high gas prices, has less solar, sunshine, and chargers.
No doubt, California is unique, which is why EV's will do well here. But I personally would still buy and EV regardless for many reasons I've stated

in both (optimistic and pessimistic) directions.
That's also true, but I don't try to paint EV's in false light, I will freely admit and share their deficiencies and shortcomings

most likely due to HUGE government subsidies like in norway. norway's EV "success" is pointed out a lot, but you'd be an idiot NOT to buy an EV with those kind of incentives. the irony to me is their ECONOMY is based on OIL they get from ocean. (great series show to watch based on this: occupation)
I don't have problem with that. Better tax dollars go to promoting technology than some of the other stuff it funds

anyway, all this will continue to improve as the cars/batteries improve and infrastructure improves.
Old 03-29-22, 01:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Where I hear about EVs the most on a daily basis is usually someone who wants to move to where I live (apartment complex) and they want the association to install a charger, not realizing who will pay for it and also why one parking space in particular should be entitled to it. Luckily, management has said no every time it gets brought up and state there is plenty of charging stations nearby. However, the EV owner usually states the just do not want to wait and want to sleep while the charging is going on, management's reply is that no one is stopping you from sleeping in your car while you get charged.
The issue with this is that an apartment complex is a service business. When it gets to where having EV chargers is a requirement for them to continue to attract the tenants they want and substantiate the rent they want to charge, they will install chargers, just like any other amenity.

Right now people with EV cars are a small enough % of their pool of customers that they can say that. When that % goes up, they will be singing a different tune.
Old 03-29-22, 01:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The issue with this is that an apartment complex is a service business. When it gets to where having EV chargers is a requirement for them to continue to attract the tenants they want and substantiate the rent they want to charge, they will install chargers, just like any other amenity.

Right now people with EV cars are a small enough % of their pool of customers that they can say that. When that % goes up, they will be singing a different tune.

They will also be raising rents accordingly.
Old 03-29-22, 01:44 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

And it doesn't really cost that much to install a Level 2 charger (or chargers) and incorporate a small amount of the cost into the rent. My handyman quoted me a couple hundred dollars to pull a 240v circuit and mount the charger
Old 03-29-22, 01:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
And tenants will happily pay those rents if they are getting the amenities they are looking for. If they raise rents too high, people won't rent their apartments. Thats how this works.
Old 03-29-22, 01:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

And tenants will happily pay those rents if they are getting the amenities they are looking for. If they raise rents too high, people won't rent their apartments. Thats how this works.
There are nuances, but we're probably drifting too far away from the charging during the long trips subject.
Old 03-29-22, 02:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
There are nuances
Again, remember I am in the real estate business, and specifically I own a residential property management firm.
Old 03-29-22, 05:08 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Or attracting customers. In Silicon Valley, prospective job candidates commonly ask for charging capabilities at work.
And companies advertise subsidized or even free charging to attract new employees.

Apartment and especially condo complexes are moving this way as we speak.

Last edited by JeffKeryk; 03-29-22 at 05:11 PM.

Quick Reply: charging EVs on long trips...