EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

charging EVs on long trips...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-22, 06:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
There are nuances, but we're probably drifting too far away from the charging during the long trips subject.
thank you, this thread isn't about apartment complex chargers.

if i had to go on a 1000 mile trip, based on what i've seen, and the fact that i'm not in california, i wouldn't want to do it in an EV. having said that, i have no interest in going on a 1000 mile trip at all, so it's moot.

i will have an EV, but my timing is not for at least a couple more years and things will have improved by then. plus they likely will make it brutally expensive to get another ice car.
Old 03-29-22, 06:06 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thank you, this thread isn't about apartment complex chargers.

if i had to go on a 1000 mile trip, based on what i've seen, and the fact that i'm not in california, i wouldn't want to do it in an EV. having said that, i have no interest in going on a 1000 mile trip at all, so it's moot.

i will have an EV, but my timing is not for at least a couple more years and things will have improved by then. plus they likely will make it brutally expensive to get another ice car.
I think that's going to be perfect timing. If I was in your shoes, I would wait until end of 2024/2025. I wouldn't want to drive 1000 miles either, EV or not
Old 03-30-22, 12:01 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

We plan to take a little road trip this summer to Los Angeles to visit the natural science museum, space shuttle Endeavor at the California Science Center, and explore some beaches and other tourist spots. We look forward to taking the trip in our Model Y.

ABetterRoutePlanner estimates needing two Supercharger stops, one for 10 minutes and another for 27 minutes. The charging time doesn’t bother me at all because my family would require 1-2 breaks anyways if we were to make the 400-mile, 6-hr drive with a gas car. Tesla Superchargers are pleasant stops because they’re usually located near food and bathroom facilities (with business names listed onscreen for you and how many charging stalls are in active use). One of my favorite Superchargers would have to be at the Harris Ranch Steakhouse and the Kettleman City Supercharger with its own private Tesla lounge with barista station, chairs, and clean bathrooms.

I would get frustrated with EV life if I had to rely on the spotty Electrify America network but Tesla Superchargers have not let me down in almost three years with a Model S and now Model Y. EV sales continue to increase as more and more people realize charging isn’t the bane of EV ownership that folks feared. The overwhelming majority of charging happens at home while you’re asleep. With the charging infrastructure continually expanding, range anxiety becomes less worrisome. I have spent more time waiting in Costco gas lines, or In-n-Out/Chick-fil-A/Starbucks drive-thru lines than Supercharger stops.

EV market share continues to grow, doubling to 5% in the U.S. since 2020, and already 10% in Europe and 15% in China (ignoring plug-in hybrids in all territories ). Five percent in the U.S. doesn’t sound like a lot at face value but that is tremendous growth in a short time and Tesla inventory is basically sold out already for 2022 despite price hikes. I agree with Elon, Tesla could make a 600-mile range car today but you’d needlessly carry around extra weight most of the year. Instead, continue to improve charging speed and expand the charging network for travel.

EVs won’t work for everyone but I think they can work for far more people than are willing to admit. I am not a historian but didn’t the early gas cars require you to hand-crank the engine to start it? Cumbersome as that sounds, it didn’t stop the automobile revolution. Alas, our modern society can’t fathom the indignity of inserting a plug into the car and relaxing in a climate-controlled cocoon while perusing Netflix while the car juices up during a road trip. And aren’t road-trips supposed to be fun and relaxed anyways? If you really want to talk range anxiety then let’s talk about driving a natural gas car or hydrogen fuel-cell vehicle. Where is the infrastructure for that?!?!

I know this post is too long, but I wanted to touch on the earlier comment about charging standards. Tesla announced plans to open up the Supercharger network to other EVs. On the flipside, there’s a contingent of TeslaMotorsClub forum members anxiously awaiting the Tesla CCS adapter to be released in the U.S. Both actions will expand fast-charging options for all EVs.

Lastly, we don’t just plan road-trips within California. We also are considering a road trip from California to New Jersey, down to D.C. and Charleston, onwards to Florida, and back to California. We are still working out the itinerary to see if it makes more sense to fly+rental cars or better to take the Model Y. Point is, we are absolutely comfortable making the cross country trip in an EV.

Kettleman City Supercharger location with Tesla lounge (not common but still nice to have):

Last edited by FatherTo1; 03-30-22 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-30-22, 07:03 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Well said FatherTo1. People tend to think of EVs in terms of ICE vehicles. But you learn. I will buy another.
Old 03-30-22, 07:51 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
However, the EV owner usually states the just do not want to wait and want to sleep while the charging is going on, management's reply is that no one is stopping you from sleeping in your car while you get charged.
HAHAHHAAAHHAHAAAA I love how management swatted down the entitled owner! I looooove it! You want to make orange juice, go buy your own damn oranges lol.
Old 03-30-22, 07:53 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
We plan to take a little road trip this summer to Los Angeles to visit the natural science museum, space shuttle Endeavor at the California Science Center, and explore some beaches and other tourist spots. We look forward to taking the trip in our Model Y.

ABetterRoutePlanner estimates needing two Supercharger stops, one for 10 minutes and another for 27 minutes. The charging time doesn’t bother me at all because my family would require 1-2 breaks anyways if we were to make the 400-mile, 6-hr drive with a gas car. Tesla Superchargers are pleasant stops because they’re usually located near food and bathroom facilities (with business names listed onscreen for you and how many charging stalls are in active use). One of my favorite Superchargers would have to be at the Harris Ranch Steakhouse and the Kettleman City Supercharger with its own private Tesla lounge with barista station, chairs, and clean bathrooms.

I would get frustrated with EV life if I had to rely on the spotty Electrify America network but Tesla Superchargers have not let me down in almost three years with a Model S and now Model Y. EV sales continue to increase as more and more people realize charging isn’t the bane of EV ownership that folks feared. The overwhelming majority of charging happens at home while you’re asleep. With the charging infrastructure continually expanding, range anxiety becomes less worrisome. I have spent more time waiting in Costco gas lines, or In-n-Out/Chick-fil-A/Starbucks drive-thru lines than Supercharger stops.

EV market share continues to grow, doubling to 5% in the U.S. since 2020, and already 10% in Europe and 15% in China (ignoring plug-in hybrids in all territories ). Five percent in the U.S. doesn’t sound like a lot at face value but that is tremendous growth in a short time and Tesla inventory is basically sold out already for 2022 despite price hikes. I agree with Elon, Tesla could make a 600-mile range car today but you’d needlessly carry around extra weight most of the year. Instead, continue to improve charging speed and expand the charging network for travel.

EVs won’t work for everyone but I think they can work for far more people than are willing to admit. I am not a historian but didn’t the early gas cars require you to hand-crank the engine to start it? Cumbersome as that sounds, it didn’t stop the automobile revolution. Alas, our modern society can’t fathom the indignity of inserting a plug into the car and relaxing in a climate-controlled cocoon while perusing Netflix while the car juices up during a road trip. And aren’t road-trips supposed to be fun and relaxed anyways? If you really want to talk range anxiety then let’s talk about driving a natural gas car or hydrogen fuel-cell vehicle. Where is the infrastructure for that?!?!

I know this post is too long, but I wanted to touch on the earlier comment about charging standards. Tesla announced plans to open up the Supercharger network to other EVs. On the flipside, there’s a contingent of TeslaMotorsClub forum members anxiously awaiting the Tesla CCS adapter to be released in the U.S. Both actions will expand fast-charging options for all EVs.

Lastly, we don’t just plan road-trips within California. We also are considering a road trip from California to New Jersey, down to D.C. and Charleston, onwards to Florida, and back to California. We are still working out the itinerary to see if it makes more sense to fly+rental cars or better to take the Model Y. Point is, we are absolutely comfortable making the cross country trip in an EV.
Well written. Tesla is way ahead of anybody else when it comes to public charging infrastructure, but I've never had any issues with EA chargers, and I've used them from San Jose to Tracy. Several Polestar owners from NorCal have told me that they haven't had any issues with EA charging traveling to SoCal. I'll be doing a trip from San Jose to Eastvale in May.

Anyway saving $200 or $300 on fuel for an extra 30 minutes is way worth it to me. That's what it would cost if I took my IS350

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-30-22 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-30-22, 08:00 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
You know Och is generally a pretty smart guy, I have a ton of respect for him, but his information on EV's is a bit "selective". I did a 150 mile round trip in my Polestar, I was at 95 percent when I started the trip, reached my destination with 69 percent, and got back home with 38 percent left, no stopping at any charger. Average speed was 75 mph, a lot of uphill. On the way back it was 38F, and the car had 5 passengers
Comes down to battery size so using percentages can be misleading. It is also how aggressively you accelerate and decelerate, wind direction, temperature while going and coming back, length is was parked for and how much regen happened while driving local and the aggressiveness of the street driving. That uphill section also becomes a downhill section when you travel home. In other words, its many things. The same applies to ICE (without the regen unless its a hybrid), but ICE you can refuel in a few minutes, go take a bathroom break, grab a bite at your leisure on long road trips, like you dont have to force yourself to make a 1hr pit stop if you dont have to.
Old 03-30-22, 08:02 AM
bowser
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

just chiming in to say that i've never had any problems using EA chargers, which I have used exclusively since getting an EV early this year. I always see this comment that "EA chargers are unreliable/spotty", mostly from Tesla owners who probably have never used an EA charger since they have the more advanced and very reliable SC stations. can't wait to get access to those Tesla SC stations
Old 03-30-22, 08:18 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Comes down to battery size so using percentages can be misleading. It is also how aggressively you accelerate and decelerate, wind direction, temperature while going and coming back, length is was parked for and how much regen happened while driving local and the aggressiveness of the street driving. That uphill section also becomes a downhill section when you travel home. In other words, its many things. The same applies to ICE (without the regen unless its a hybrid), but ICE you can refuel in a few minutes, go take a bathroom break, grab a bite at your leisure on long road trips, like you dont have to force yourself to make a 1hr pit stop if you dont have to.
The 1 hr pit stop only happens if you have a Toyota BEV. All the ones coming out need about 15-20 min. Out of my many road trips, longest charge was 23 min and that was a 10-80% charge because I had time. Most of the time, you drive 2 hrs, charge 10-15 minutes. Rinse repeat.
Old 03-30-22, 08:50 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by situman
Basically my battery is a 78 kWh battery with 77 kWh available, and a 240 mile range (EPA says 249, but it's actually 9 less real world). My driving style is moderate to aggressive, on the freeway I generally drive 75 mph, sometimes 80 but I try to keep it below 80 so I don't get a ticket. With that driving style I'm burning about 36 kWh per 100 miles which is about .36 kWh per mile...not bad for a 408 whp 487 ft-lbs torque vehicle that weighs 5000 plus lbs! As far as charging, 95 percent is at home, and the other 5 percent has been public fast charging. If I were to make a trip to SoCal (380 miles one way), I would have to make two 20 minute stops at a 350 Kwh fast charger. I do that anyway when I take my Lexus or our Sienna...one quick bathroom break and one gas stop/bathroom break. You can't drive 6 hours without at least one bathroom break, and by the time I get into LA county I'm usually down to quarter tank gas
Old 03-30-22, 08:54 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bowser
just chiming in to say that i've never had any problems using EA chargers, which I have used exclusively since getting an EV early this year. I always see this comment that "EA chargers are unreliable/spotty", mostly from Tesla owners who probably have never used an EA charger since they have the more advanced and very reliable SC stations. can't wait to get access to those Tesla SC stations
In my area (San Jose), I see Tesla's charging at the EA near my house all the time (there is one charger that has a CHAdeMo connector). I've been to 4 of them, and they are all well maintained and have been working. They also have excellent 24 hour customer service. The first time I charged I didn't how to use their app, I called the 800 number and got someone immediately that showed me how to use the app to start the charging cycle
Old 03-30-22, 08:57 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks for sharing your EA experience, @bowser and @AMIRZA786! I personally have not used EA charging stations yet and apologize for my ignorance. Glad they've been reliable for you and it will extend my fast-charging options on trips.

This also makes me feel better if I ever pull the trigger on a Taycan 4S, or upcoming Macan EV.
Old 03-30-22, 09:04 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Thanks for sharing your EA experience, @bowser and @AMIRZA786! I personally have not used EA charging stations yet and apologize for my ignorance. Glad they've been reliable for you and it will extend my fast-charging options on trips.

This also makes me feel better if I ever pull the trigger on a Taycan 4S, or upcoming Macan EV.
Oh dude, no need to apologize! I was also reluctant as I heard horror story after horror story about them. The Polestar forum is full of success stories going on long trips. In Canada they have been problematic for sure (Electrify Canada), I think they are more neglected there for some reason. Also EA is going to be building charging stations similar to what Tesla is doing
Old 03-30-22, 10:07 AM
bowser
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

no apologies needed. am just glad to share my EA charging experience so you may consider them a viable alternative option. we (you and AMIRZA) are all in CA so our charging infrastructure is most likely second to none. enjoy your road trip and if you have time please do share your charging experience (good or bad)
Old 03-30-22, 12:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Regarding EV charging, PG&E upgraded line and new circuit breaker have been installed. Just got a quote from the electrician for a dedicated 240v circuit for charging my Polestar. I'll probably add a dedicated Level 2 charging station so I don't have to keep taking my charger out of trunk

Quick Reply: charging EVs on long trips...