EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla is no longer delivering new cars with charging cables

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-22, 09:11 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I spoke to my friend who is an electrician, and he told me wall chargers that are hard wired have higher amperage, and are more efficient than the 240v chargers that need to be plugged in. Plus it's just more convenient than pulling the charger out
$500 is like a tank of gas these days
Old 04-18-22, 09:27 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
$500 is like a tank of gas these days
LOL, well not exactly, but the money you save on gas in a month will pay for the wall charger
Old 04-19-22, 04:17 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Most of my Tesla friends have wall chargers. They just like the convenience of leaving their charger in the car and having a home solution. In the end $500 is a tiny amount in the total transaction.
That’s exactly why I bought the Tesla wall charger, plus it looks really nice and tidy.
Old 04-19-22, 04:22 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

We put a 240v in the garage and use the mobile charger. I preferred to have something brand agnostic installed, and we didn't really have a use case for the mobile charger otherwise.
To me, not including it only makes sense as money saving for Tesla. It's not like a phone where you accumulate chargers, unless the car was wrecked the charger is going to go to the next owner.
Old 04-19-22, 06:46 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

If you are going to overpay that much for a glorified electric Corolla, I don't see where $500 is a big deal. And if you are buying a Model S, $500 shouldn't be that big deal.
Old 04-19-22, 07:27 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bob04
If you are going to overpay that much for a glorified electric Corolla, I don't see where $500 is a big deal. And if you are buying a Model S, $500 shouldn't be that big deal.
LOL I'm not sure how you came out with that comparison. Sorry, I respect your opinions but that's just whacky
Old 04-19-22, 07:47 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

I spoke to my friend who is an electrician, and he told me wall chargers that are hard wired have higher amperage, and are more efficient than the 240v chargers that need to be plugged in. Plus it's just more convenient than pulling the charger out
Not exactly... The charger is in the car. The Wall Unit or cable supplys the juice. My car, a 2018 Mid Range, can only take 32A so the Wall Unit does nothing beyond keeping the cable in the frunk.
For most people, the Wall Unit provides convenience and is a good idea if you have 2 Teslas, but the cable is all you really need.
Old 04-19-22, 07:55 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Not exactly... The charger is in the car. The Wall Unit or cable supplys the juice. My car, a 2018 Mid Range, can only take 32A so the Wall Unit does nothing beyond keeping the cable in the frunk.
For most people, the Wall Unit provides convenience and is a good idea if you have 2 Teslas, but the cable is all you really need.
My Polestar supports up to 68A, and only a wall charger can provide that. The cable that comes with the Polestar can only support up to 48A. It's really not that much, and the money I save not driving my Lexus for a month in half pays for the wall charger
Old 04-19-22, 08:18 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
It's not about need for sure. It's about convenience and if I'm to charge my car everyday for the next 5-8 years, $500 is a pittance to any level of increased convenience.

Also turns out that the increased cable length of the Wall Charger allows me to get another EV and not have to move my car. Bonus
Old 04-19-22, 08:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by kolokmee
I believe the only other car that doesn't come with any mobile charging cable is the Kia EV6 (in the US at least). All the other manufacturers still provide at least level 1 cables. For now, at least. Other companies seem to want to copy the worst of the Tesla decisions, so I won't be surprised if more companies remove that as a 'freebie'.
Level 1 cables sux because they are soooo slow in the USA at 110v... but they are good for just in case scenario.

With 240v in Europe, they are actually very useful and I use it all the time. Just replenished 40% overnight with it, and by tomorrow morning I will be at 100%.

In Europe, lots of manufacturers dont offer mobile chargers or ac cables included (two that I screenshoted), you have to pay extra and people dont know this. For instance, VW group locally.
Old 04-19-22, 09:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's not about need for sure. It's about convenience and if I'm to charge my car everyday for the next 5-8 years, $500 is a pittance to any level of increased convenience.

Also turns out that the increased cable length of the Wall Charger allows me to get another EV and not have to move my car. Bonus
i dont think it is about $250, but 90% of people will not order it, and then you will not have it when you need it the most.

People do not know what they need, EVs are new for most of the buyers.
Old 04-19-22, 09:54 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

LOL I'm not sure how you came out with that comparison. Sorry, I respect your opinions but that's just whacky
https://www.businessinsider.com/tesl...atures-2019-10

Not so different. Almost exactly the same size. Electrons vs gas.

As the author noted " A quick note before we get started: YES, I KNOW THESE ARE VERY DIFFERENT CARS CONCEPTUALLY. But
formally, they aren't so divergent. You could electrify the Corolla or gasify the Model 3 and have something of an interchangeable experience."

If the Model 3 had a gas engine, it would be a direct competitor with the Corolla. Only thing really special is the fact that it's an EV, and that contributes to it's high price.

Old 04-19-22, 10:39 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

As the author noted " A quick note before we get started: YES, I KNOW THESE ARE VERY DIFFERENT CARS CONCEPTUALLY. But
formally, they aren't so divergent. You could electrify the Corolla or gasify the Model 3 and have something of an interchangeable experience."

If the Model 3 had a gas engine, it would be a direct competitor with the Corolla. Only thing really special is the fact that it's an EV, and that contributes to it's high price.
I've driven and owned Corollas, and I've driven in a Model 3, and they are in no way comparable. The Model 3 is far superior in technology, performance, and efficiency. The Model 3 is a technological marvel, the Corolla is...a Corolla. Performance wise Model 3 competes with the BMW 240i coupe, and M340i. In no way is the Corolla even close in any type of comparison with a M3, except maybe it has four wheels
Old 04-19-22, 10:54 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I've driven and owned Corollas, and I've driven in a Model 3, and they are in no way comparable. The Model 3 is far superior in technology, performance, and efficiency. The Model 3 is a technological marvel, the Corolla is...a Corolla. Performance wise Model 3 competes with the BMW 240i coupe, and M340i. In no way is the Corolla even close in any type of comparison with a M3, except maybe it has four wheels
Such a weird comparison. My IS350 F-Sport couldn't hold a candle to my Model 3 in terms of performance and handling capability. A Corolla drives like econobox and way worse than the Mazda 3 we have. I had a Corolla for a week as a rental...garbage drive.

Old 04-19-22, 10:58 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

By that measure, my IS F is pretty much a Corolla, too. Same brand, it literally has a gas engine, and it's about the same size.

Once you add in the other qualifiers: "They each have four doors, six windows, and four wheels.", we're pretty much there.

Quick Reply: Tesla is no longer delivering new cars with charging cables