EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla is no longer delivering new cars with charging cables

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-22 | 05:20 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I have the portable cable plugged into a NEMA 14-50 on a hanger. 28 to 30 MPH. There is no need for a Wall Charger. The real benefit comes from Solar Planels!

Again, there is no need for a Wall Charger. Its a luxury item that many Tesla owners opt for because its a slightly nicer experience. I also like to keep the charger in my car on the off-day that I have to take a quick trip and can leave the car plugged in at work. The other benefit is that the cord is longer and I can charge my car at 44 miles per hour.
Old 04-19-22 | 05:43 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Hopefully my used 3 has one still with it lol! I have my solar array ironed out so now I'm just waiting for a cheap EV to serve as a test unit for viability for local use. I don't want to run a level 2 cable 200 ft to the garage until I know this makes any sense.

Crazy expensive project though, if I include a car at 20k I'm over 100k in this...would suck to afford for normal people. It will never replace my gas cars and it will serve as the beater if I do manage to find one that isn't beat to **** and needing a battery for a "low" price. I wouldn't even be entertaining this if it wasn't for the solar project since it would otherwise never pay for itself. It's only chance to make sense is if it doesn't have a single think break/need repaired for 4 years.

If not the candidate just needs 200 miles range in winter conditions and some form of ability to be repaired on demand. It's painful since all the below cars cost more than something like my 07 that vastly outclasses them and is cheaper to run since there is such a price difference and the experience is so superior, all of the linked "options" would need to drive for 4 years to match an old flagship just for price and all of them fail the amount of range that we would need. My wife is a district manager and sometimes drives 300 miles in a day so it would need to get at least 200 for 80% usability and it would still never be the same as an LS for that job.

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/2132...paign=referral
https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1635...paign=referral
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/e...paign=atempest
https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/2188...paign=referral

I am willing to try out a Tesla though since they are the best on range/are the only ones that have any chance to be competitive. The other major issue would be to somehow convince her to give up a V8 for a month to just try it and see if it's viable, that will be the hardest part since she likes cruising at 110 on the morning drive.

Last edited by Striker223; 04-19-22 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-19-22 | 08:03 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
NO. Because the IS is a rwd/awd car whereas at the Corolla is a FWD car. (I am still astonished as per the comparison l am lost just like you)
That was kind of my point. M3 is also either rwd or awd. Just two completely different platforms. I guess he's sticking to that script...
Old 04-19-22 | 08:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I have the portable cable plugged into a NEMA 14-50 on a hanger. 28 to 30 MPH. There is no need for a Wall Charger. The real benefit comes from Solar Planels!

I agree with you, it's more for convenience than anything else
Old 04-19-22 | 08:15 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I agree with you, it's more for convenience than anything else
Yup. Convenience. Also, I think hell just froze over when Striker is considering an EV. The end is near...
Old 04-19-22 | 08:21 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Hopefully my used 3 has one still with it lol! I have my solar array ironed out so now I'm just waiting for a cheap EV to serve as a test unit for viability for local use. I don't want to run a level 2 cable 200 ft to the garage until I know this makes any sense.

Crazy expensive project though, if I include a car at 20k I'm over 100k in this...would suck to afford for normal people. It will never replace my gas cars and it will serve as the beater if I do manage to find one that isn't beat to **** and needing a battery for a "low" price. I wouldn't even be entertaining this if it wasn't for the solar project since it would otherwise never pay for itself. It's only chance to make sense is if it doesn't have a single think break/need repaired for 4 years.

If not the candidate just needs 200 miles range in winter conditions and some form of ability to be repaired on demand. It's painful since all the below cars cost more than something like my 07 that vastly outclasses them and is cheaper to run since there is such a price difference and the experience is so superior, all of the linked "options" would need to drive for 4 years to match an old flagship just for price and all of them fail the amount of range that we would need. My wife is a district manager and sometimes drives 300 miles in a day so it would need to get at least 200 for 80% usability and it would still never be the same as an LS for that job.

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/2132...paign=referral
https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1635...paign=referral
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/e...paign=atempest
https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/2188...paign=referral

I am willing to try out a Tesla though since they are the best on range/are the only ones that have any chance to be competitive. The other major issue would be to somehow convince her to give up a V8 for a month to just try it and see if it's viable, that will be the hardest part since she likes cruising at 110 on the morning drive.
We are going to get you into an EV yet my friend! My wife was so skeptical about getting an EV as she had been driving our 2013 Sienna for years (beautiful 3.5L V6), now she loves her Ioniq and we rarely drive the Sienna. Just like you, I've been driving almost nothing but V'6's and V8 rentals (Mustang GT, Charger RT, Toyota Sequoia SUV) when I would travel to our Texas office, and now that I have an EV, I can't go back. I still love ice vehicles, but I wouldn't buy another one unless it was a weekend car
Old 04-19-22 | 08:43 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

We are going to get you into an EV yet my friend! My wife was so skeptical about getting an EV as she had been driving our 2013 Sienna for years (beautiful 3.5L V6), now she loves her Ioniq and we rarely drive the Sienna. Just like you, I've been driving almost nothing but V'6's and V8 rentals (Mustang GT, Charger RT, Toyota Sequoia SUV) when I would travel to our Texas office, and now that I have an EV, I can't go back. I still love ice vehicles, but I wouldn't buy another one unless it was a weekend car
Like I said I really do want to see if they will work but I just am not seeing it since repairs for an LS or A8 are no different than a Camry for me so ownership cost equations get REALLY weird in my case. I also run the hell out of my daily, I TRY and not hit 100 but I have yet not been able to hold back even once and I just can't get that out of an EV unless I pay 4x the price and I'm still left with a car that lacks in all the other areas I like. It also doesn't help I drive the best of the best ICE cars in the first place, it would be very different if I had something like the 07 ES I have to flip right now.........thing is absolutely horrible compared to my other cars. I would never consider keeping it or driving one so I totally get the feeling you have of tasting better and not wanting to go back, issue for me is that EVs are just not better than what I have yet.

I view a EV like a mustang, fast but seriously loud and unrefined vs top tier ICE cars that I can get for 10-40k range.....but you already know my position for the most part on that lol!

Still I like to learn stuff so I need one to serve as an accompaniment to my solar array since those go hand in hand. It won't be my main car but I think it would do me well to pull one apart and see how it is to live with, I just don't want to buy a leaf even if it is cheap because dear god I don't know if I could stand driving that even for evaluation reasons!

Last edited by Striker223; 04-19-22 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-19-22 | 08:49 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Yup. Convenience. Also, I think hell just froze over when Striker is considering an EV. The end is near...
As a tech investigation and to see how it stacks up....issue is every single one I linked costs more than I paid for my 460 including all the parts and new tires I put on and are inferior in literally every way possible. I don't really want to have to pay model 3 money to just try one out with my solar grid lol! I am kind of being forced that what though since I would like to get some type of useful role out of one, it's like buying a diesel car to learn it then selling it when you are done type of thing for me. I would not use one as one of my real cars but I would own one to have for learning reasons, I have an 07 ES right now I bought for extremely cheap to flip but I would never consider driving it as my daily/main. It's just not a good enough car ride/noise/power/everything wise vs my LS and I have a similar issue with current EVs they are fastish but lack in all other areas and for the price I just cant....I leave too much behind to more money.

If you could give me a car that is otherwise just like my A8 or LS but with a 650hp EV driveline and 700 mile range that I can buy every part for I would be 1000% in on this. Until then it would never be more than a 3/4th car for me since it just doesn't provide the same experience/feeling/emotion when driving one, the S is the only one I have driven that I would say is somewhat luxury. It's really hard to leave behind a nicer car for one that is just faster and even worse when you also have one that is already quite fast by any standard.

I mean what's one more car lol! I already have like 8? Something like that.....the storage costs are low in Ohio anyway.

Last edited by Striker223; 04-19-22 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-19-22 | 09:01 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

As a tech investigation and to see how it stacks up....issue is every single one I linked costs more than I paid for my 460 including all the parts and new tires I put on and are inferior in literally every way possible. I don't really want to have to pay model 3 money to just try one out with my solar grid lol! I am kind of being forced that what though since I would like to get some type of useful role out of one, it's like buying a diesel car to learn it then selling it when you are done type of thing for me. I would not use one as one of my real cars but I would own one to have for learning reasons, I have an 07 ES right now I bought for extremely cheap to flip but I would never consider driving it as my daily/main. It's just not a good enough car ride/noise/power/everything wise vs my LS and I have a similar issue with current EVs they are fastish but lack in all other areas and for the price I just cant....I leave too much behind to more money.

If you could give me a car that is otherwise just like my A8 or LS but with a 650hp EV driveline and 700 mile range that I can buy every part for I would be 1000% in on this. Until then it would never be more than a 3/4th car for me since it just doesn't provide the same experience/feeling/emotion when driving one, the S is the only one I have driven that I would say is somewhat luxury. It's really hard to leave behind a nicer car for one that is just faster and even worse when you also have one that is already quite fast by any standard.

I mean what's one more car lol! I already have like 8? Something like that.....the storage costs are low in Ohio anyway.
Initially EV'S are going to be more expensive, no doubt. Prices will go down as they are adopted and there is more competition, and this supply chain shortage ends
Old 04-19-22 | 09:08 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Initially EV'S are going to be more expensive, no doubt. Prices will go down as they are adopted and there is more competition, and this supply chain shortage ends
That's what I am hoping for since I would love to have something somewhat decent/representative of a "normal" EV to live with/test. No leafs for me unless it's like 2-3k max since they are just such bad cars
Old 04-19-22 | 09:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

That's what I am hoping for since I would love to have something somewhat decent/representative of a "normal" EV to live with/test. No leafs for me unless it's like 2-3k max since they are just such bad cars
I wouldn't want a Leaf either. My wife said straight out no when we were shopping for EV'S in 2020 and we went to test drive one
Old 04-19-22 | 09:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't want a Leaf either. My wife said straight out no when we were shopping for EV'S in 2020 and we went to test drive one

The only people who would want a Leaf are those who think that money grows on trees.
Old 04-19-22 | 09:23 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Yeah. The new Hyundai stuff is decent, feels reasonable and I would consider one over the 07 ES I have if that was the type of car I was shopping for. However I am not paying that much for a testing car, that would be enough money for me to trade out my A8 for a V10 or stage3 S8+ so no!
Old 04-19-22 | 09:23 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The only people who would want a Leaf are those who think that money grows on trees.
Definitely not among my favorite cars
Old 04-19-22 | 09:42 PM
GS3Tek

Confrontational and rude remarks have been removed.
If anyone can't post civil remarks, please don't post.

Quick Reply: Tesla is no longer delivering new cars with charging cables