EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

1 less lucid dream air edition

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-22, 09:47 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Lucid still building a store next to me, its been almost a year now….
Old 04-30-22, 09:52 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Hmmm, that's not suspicious....
All these years, various media outlets hyped up the likes of Nikola, Lucid, Rivian, Lordstown and others, and one by one each company falls to some major scandal out of nowhere.

EV's aren't going away anywhere, but I don't expect shady startup EV brands to have much appeal left to investors in the near future.
Old 04-30-22, 10:18 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
No doubt ICE vehicles are more prone to fires, that’s a no brainer and there are a lot more too just based on the number of ICE cars out there. I think some are pointing out that when there is a fire in an EV car it’s much much more difficult to put out.

I wonder if the tanker that was carrying all those cars that sank would have the same fate if there were no EVs on board? I would assume that it would have suffered the same fate but who knows if they could have put it out.
Total bullcrap, ICEs are not anymore prone to fires. Only 1% of car fires start at the gas tank, most car fires are electrical or mechanical when someone is draggings/etc. These types of fires apply to all types of cars, ICEs and EVs.

Self igniting lithium battery fires are a new phenomenon, and certainly a huge concern. It happens spontaneously, when the car is unattended, and these types of fires are impossible to put out.
Old 04-30-22, 10:21 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
LOL, you know nobody wants to know that. EV fire I say!
It was a diesel truck carrying that EV bomb, diesel fuel doesn't burn under normal conditions. 99% the fire was started by the EV.
Old 04-30-22, 10:29 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
It was a diesel truck carrying that EV bomb, diesel fuel doesn't burn under normal conditions. 99% the fire was started by the EV.
Most things don't burn under normal conditions. Does your phone spontaneously combust sitting there. Read the article. Pretty sure the investigator on-site has a better grasp of the situation than you.
Old 04-30-22, 10:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Except all that fire that moved far enough back from the cab of the truck to ignite the cars behind it. Which had to be a big fire…
Old 04-30-22, 10:52 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Most things don't burn under normal conditions. Does your phone spontaneously combust sitting there. Read the article. Pretty sure the investigator on-site has a better grasp of the situation than you.
Remember the exploding samsung phones?

Either way, the cause of fire is not known, and the only evidence we have of the fire starting in the engine department of the truck is a tweet from Len Devanna - head of digital experience of Lucid. Obviously he's trying to deflect the blame from his EV bomb, lol.
Old 04-30-22, 11:09 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Except all that fire that moved far enough back from the cab of the truck to ignite the cars behind it. Which had to be a big fire…
It's a heavy duty diesel tow truck, there is literally nothing in it to burn except bits of interior and wiring. Highly unlikely for the fire to start at the trunk and burn with enough intensity to transfer to the trailer and ignite the Lucid. Most likely the fire started at the EV, and the intensity with which the lithium batteries burn they set the diesel tanks on fire as well.
Old 04-30-22, 11:29 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
It's a heavy duty diesel tow truck, there is literally nothing in it to burn except bits of interior and wiring. Highly unlikely for the fire to start at the trunk and burn with enough intensity to transfer to the trailer and ignite the Lucid. Most likely the fire started at the EV, and the intensity with which the lithium batteries burn they set the diesel tanks on fire as well.
We will see who is right. Statistics heavily skew toward the IcE being the culprit.
Old 04-30-22, 11:33 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

If the truck had an injector stick open/turbo oil sea dial and entered runaway it will light the oil and fuel on fire severely......diesels can light up same as anything else.
Old 04-30-22, 11:41 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Sigh, looks like I have to post this again.

Government data show gasoline vehicles are up to 100x more prone to fires than EVs

Going to leave the giant text maybe some of you will get the message this time.
The government hates fossil fuels. You don't think they are going to paint ICE vehicles in a bad light?

I wouldn't consider any website that's called "Electrek" credible for giving a fair spin on ICE vs EV.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Than you basically don't want a car in your garage. Or a lawnmower, paint thinner, can of gasoline, lights and electrical outlets or anything plugged into them. Oh yeah, Kingsford Matchlight Charcoal...
We don't think twice about charging our phones, cameras, etc. Why would we? For most of us we don't think about it. You're not going to think about a fire risk when you charge your phone. The problem is the size of the EV battery. When you have a battery that weighs half a ton or more and it is designed to re-charge relatively quickly considering the massive weight, combined with how new the tech is, combined with the horror stories we've heard about these catching fire and destroying everything in its path with nothing you can do about it, yes, some of us have a real issue with these things.
Old 04-30-22, 11:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Amazing that you know more than the investigators working on the situation. Because they said it likely started at the truck…but I’m sure you’re right
Old 04-30-22, 11:48 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
The government hates fossil fuels. You don't think they are going to paint ICE vehicles in a bad light?

I wouldn't consider any website that's called "Electrek" credible for giving a fair spin on ICE vs EV.

We don't think twice about charging our phones, cameras, etc. Why would we? For most of us we don't think about it. You're not going to think about a fire risk when you charge your phone. The problem is the size of the EV battery. When you have a battery that weighs half a ton or more and it is designed to re-charge relatively quickly considering the massive weight, combined with how new the tech is, combined with the horror stories we've heard about these catching fire and destroying everything in its path with nothing you can do about it, yes, some of us have a real issue with these things.
I charge two EV'S every night next to my house every single night and don't think twice about it. At least 80 percent of the one million EV owners in California charge theirs in their garage or next to their house... and don't think about it. I'm more worried about an extinction level meteorite hitting my house. Another words, I don't lose sleep over the millions of EV'S on the road catching fire
Old 04-30-22, 11:52 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Amazing that you know more than the investigators working on the situation. Because they said it likely started at the truck…but I’m sure you’re right
LOL the passion! I think there should be an EV haters meme...oh wait

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 04-30-22 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-30-22, 12:12 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Investigators can say what they want. There is an agenda to eliminate all ICE in this country. Any chance at ******* ICE vehicles and saying how unsafe they are, they will take it.

In other words, they can say it was the truck but I'm leaning more to the EV. They don't have all the kinks worked out in their cars. Understandable, since they are new to building cars.

Quick Reply: 1 less lucid dream air edition