EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Test Drove a Model Y performance 2022

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-22, 11:43 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
how is your Tesla treating you?
Our Mid Range Model 3 has been soooo much fun and not a single issue. We let others take it for a spin; I have to believe I have sold at least 5 Teslas...
Wifey drives it to work now due to the $6 gas. She loves the TSX and doesn't worry about company parking lots... But is saving a good $50 per week now.

I would buy a Model 3 Performance, but in reality it would not do anything more than the Mid Range, only faster.
The car needs HUD and outside mirror BSM. Are you listening Elon?
We love the Model 3; zero regrets. I will buy another.
Old 06-02-22, 11:54 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Our Mid Range Model 3 has been soooo much fun and not a single issue. We let others take it for a spin; I have to believe I have sold at least 5 Teslas...
Wifey drives it to work now due to the $6 gas. She loves the TSX and doesn't worry about company parking lots... But is saving a good $50 per week now.

I would buy a Model 3 Performance, but in reality it would not do anything more than the Mid Range, only faster.
The car needs HUD and outside mirror BSM. Are you listening Elon?
We love the Model 3; zero regrets. I will buy another.
Elon is actually part of the problem. He's so focused on getting attention and pulling stunts he's hurting Tesla right now. I almost think it would be a better company without him and his ego
Old 06-03-22, 02:22 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Elon is actually part of the problem. He's so focused on getting attention and pulling stunts he's hurting Tesla right now. I almost think it would be a better company without him and his ego
As an owner of 3 teslas presently, 100% agree. Wish he would focus on things Tesla is terrible at: 1) initial quality 2) service expansion and 3) more customizations. Great car, but really bland and I worry if I ever need service on it that'll it'll take months to do.
Old 06-03-22, 04:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

That is the face of an extremely anguished man. Shortly after this, he bought a built block from from Two Step Performance and a year later blew his transmission (4th, and 5th gears)
Buys a used transmission and a few months later, the head bolts break and the head lifts while doing a run, of course running at 38 psi doesn't really help things
Does he give up? No, he buys a new built block, a remanufactured head and stronger head bolts

Now he is replacing his gears
really doesn't have anything to do with model y performance, does it? maybe you could start a thread titled "don't bother with extreme modding an econobox, just get an EV"
Old 06-03-22, 06:19 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
As an owner of 3 teslas presently, 100% agree. Wish he would focus on things Tesla is terrible at: 1) initial quality 2) service expansion and 3) more customizations. Great car, but really bland and I worry if I ever need service on it that'll it'll take months to do.
Service was my greatest concern. Up until recently we had few issues, and they were addressed by mobile service.
We're 45 minutes from service center, so this was our first time in 3.5 years to replace the control arms (not uncommon if you Google it). Using Uber is not great because it's not reliable enough if you have to be at work at a certain time, or use your car for work, or need it to shuttle kids around. The allowance was pretty high, and since I was working remote part of the time I had enough to use Uber premier (XTS, Model Y for example) for my rides at least. That's manageable to me.
Collision repair was unacceptable, and that's where they need to drastically improve. They don't do body work at service centers, and there's only a few authorized shops in the Philadelphia region. The result was no car for 4+ months. Reading forums before we bought, I knew it's been an issue since the beginning. Parts shortages are just a way of life at Tesla.
They make great cars, at least to my taste. I like the interior aesthetic. Only the Model S is truly beautiful, but the 3 is good from most angles. The Y is ok, I could live with it. If there was a three row Y available at the time we most likely would have gotten it instead. The service, and Elon's out of control ego, have definitely left the door open to other brands in my mind. We will eventually be an all electric household, but at this point I don't think we'll have two Teslas.
It's hard to speculate on when Elon has worn out his welcome as CEO. He pushes the technological limit, that is for sure, and Tesla has benefited greatly in that way. Most likely they would have failed and IMO been absorbed by Mercedes if not for him. Now that they're becoming less of a start-up and EV is becoming embraced by rivals, it's hard to gauge when/if they can keep recruiting as a passion project. By that I mean will people still want a high stress, long hours, no remote job because Tesla is cool.

Last edited by sg021; 06-03-22 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-03-22, 07:58 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sg021
Service was my greatest concern. Up until recently we had few issues, and they were addressed by mobile service.
We're 45 minutes from service center, so this was our first time in 3.5 years to replace the control arms (not uncommon if you Google it). Using Uber is not great because it's not reliable enough if you have to be at work at a certain time, or use your car for work, or need it to shuttle kids around. The allowance was pretty high, and since I was working remote part of the time I had enough to use Uber premier (XTS, Model Y for example) for my rides at least. That's manageable to me.
Collision repair was unacceptable, and that's where they need to drastically improve. They don't do body work at service centers, and there's only a few authorized shops in the Philadelphia region. The result was no car for 4+ months. Reading forums before we bought, I knew it's been an issue since the beginning. Parts shortages are just a way of life at Tesla.
They make great cars, at least to my taste. I like the interior aesthetic. Only the Model S is truly beautiful, but the 3 is good from most angles. The Y is ok, I could live with it. If there was a three row Y available at the time we most likely would have gotten it instead. The service, and Elon's out of control ego, have definitely left the door open to other brands in my mind. We will eventually be an all electric household, but at this point I don't think we'll have two Teslas.
It's hard to speculate on when Elon has worn out his welcome as CEO. He pushes the technological limit, that is for sure, and Tesla has benefited greatly in that way. Most likely they would have failed and IMO been absorbed by Mercedes if not for him. Now that they're becoming less of a start-up and EV is becoming embraced by rivals, it's hard to gauge when/if they can keep recruiting as a passion project. By that I mean will people still want a high stress, long hours, no remote job because Tesla is cool.
Elon is a great CEO for a startup. You need someone with ego to grab attention and push the envelope in the beginning. But Tesla is now beyond that stage. At this point he's busy trying to move attention away from his sexual harassment allegations and his failed Twitter adventure. Working in a startup environment for more than 20 years and recently moving to the public phase myself, I would say Tesla needs to dump Elon and find a CEO focused on building on their strengths and moving them forward, not someone focused on gaining as much attention as they can. As someone recently stated, he's a grifter
Old 06-03-22, 08:04 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Elon is Tesla's head engineer lose him and and you lose one of the greatest innovators in recent history. Tesla's almost impossible rise to success is because of Musk it's crazy to now say well yea they did great but dump the driving force. Some of you have lost all perspective IMO.

As for the Twitter deal that has yet to be finalized or not.
Old 06-03-22, 08:47 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Elon is Tesla's head engineer lose him and and you lose one of the greatest innovators in recent history. Tesla's almost impossible rise to success is because of Musk it's crazy to now say well yea they did great but dump the driving force. Some of you have lost all perspective IMO.

As for the Twitter deal that has yet to be finalized or not.
And therein lies the problem. I don't want to make this an Elon Musk debate, but micromanaging is not good for innovation and for the company, IMO. The founder of the current company I work for (and CEO of the former) is one of the most innovative inventors in the medical device world. He's an engineer by training with an added background in medicine, and both a brilliant engineer and scientist. He's started up dozens of companies that were acquired by companies like Medtronics, St Jude Medical etc. But he's also a micromanager and doesn't have the temperment for running a public company, so when one of his startups went public the board chose to hire it's own CEO. He basically only has an advisory role.

If Elon really cares about Tesla, he would stop focusing on nonsense like pretending he's buying Twitter, getting into public tweet brawls, staying out of politics and focusing a bit more on quality and building a more affordable vehicle. Now they shouldn't a 100 percent focus on quality because then they would end up like Lucid, not being able to produce cars in enough numbers.

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-03-22 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-03-22, 08:52 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
really doesn't have anything to do with model y performance, does it? maybe you could start a thread titled "don't bother with extreme modding an econobox, just get an EV"
I was just reinforcing your mod comment . And yes
Old 06-03-22, 09:20 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Elon is Tesla's head engineer lose him and and you lose one of the greatest innovators in recent history.
Agree
And therein lies the problem. I don't want to make this an Elon Musk debate, but micromanaging is not good for innovation and for the company, IMO.
Also agree.

The biography by Ashlee Vance painted him as brilliant, obsessive, and visionary, but also a stubborn insufferable micromanager. I think we've seen those traits continue to play out in amazing products like the S, overreaches like the X, overcoming challenges getting the 3/Y to market, doubling down on FSD while presenting a picture of progress that pushes the limit of truth, and petty fueds with cave divers. He cuts both ways.
Old 06-03-22, 09:23 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sg021
Agree

Also agree.

The biography by Ashlee Vance painted him as brilliant, obsessive, and visionary, but also a stubborn insufferable micromanager. I think we've seen those traits continue to play out in amazing products like the S, overreaches like the X, overcoming challenges getting the 3/Y to market, doubling down on FSD while presenting a picture of progress that pushes the limit of truth, and petty fueds with cave divers. He cuts both ways.
He is brilliant, but he's bored now. He needs to move on to his next thing, like maybe building his future house on mars
Old 06-03-22, 10:45 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Another example of why Elon just needs to go:

Elon Musk seeks 10% job cuts at Tesla over ‘super bad feeling’ about economy

Email to executives also calls for hiring freeze at electric car maker, which has 100,000 staff worldwide

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-hiring-freeze
Old 06-03-22, 10:49 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Actually, isn't he just doing his job. He is CEO.
Old 06-03-22, 10:52 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Actually, isn't he just doing his job. He is CEO.
No he's not. He tanked his own shares with his Twitter stunt, he pretends like he's ordering people back to the office but there is actually no room for all those employees so they will have to "lay them off". A good CEO would just cut the fat and do a layoff without drama. As much as I want Tesla to succeed, I think the company is better off without him, and many people much smarter than me have said the same thing
Old 06-03-22, 11:00 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

No he's not. He tanked his own shares with his Twitter stunt, he pretends like he's ordering people back to the office but there is actually no room for all those employees so they will have to "lay them off". A good CEO would just cut the fat and do a layoff without drama. As much as I want Tesla to succeed, I think the company is better off without him, and many people much smarter than me have said the same thing
He's not CEO? It's his responsibility to run the business. If he thinks hard economic times are coming, it's his job to rightsize the opex. In the end, the cost structure of the business is his responsibility and so he is trying to manage it. It's a letter to his execs, not an open tweet.

Quick Reply: Test Drove a Model Y performance 2022