EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Polestar 3 SUV premiering in October 2022

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-22, 01:14 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Well, the C40 Recharge is a crossover while the Polestar 2 is a sedan, so obviously the C40 would have worse range due to the higher ride height but otherwise they're the same car underneath. Even the infotainment is the same Android Automotive system. I don't actually mind any of that because platform and technology sharing between brands is nothing new, but I really shouldn't be thinking of a Volvo when looking at a Polestar.

From what I'm reading right now it seems that the Polestar 3 is the crossover coupe version of the upcoming three-row XC90 EV. Perhaps that's what Polestar wants to be, the "more stylish" version of Volvo. But I don't see how that's enough to warrant its own brand. The upcoming Polestar 5 looks good, I hope they don't dilute that car with a Volvo equivalent.
We will have to see what happens after the Polestar merger on June 22nd. The companies will be forced to seperate
Old 06-07-22, 02:30 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Platform sharing is understandable, but this is literally a Volvo design with a different badge. They even gave it the Thor's Hammer headlights shared with every Volvo. Makes no sense to go through all the effort to establish Polestar as a separate brand when they're about as distinguished from Volvo as a Maybach is to a Mercedes. Which would have worked had Polestar been established as a higher-end brand than Volvo, but so far their cars just run parallel to each other in price barring the one-off Polestar 1.
Count me as confused as well. I do think Volvo is eventually trying to make Polestar upmarket from Volvo and more sporty/adventurous.
Old 06-07-22, 04:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Count me as confused as well. I do think Volvo is eventually trying to make Polestar upmarket from Volvo and more sporty/adventurous.
Remember, Polestar was a racing division, originally called Polestar Racing. They did performance upgrades, think of them like the like BMW's M division. I believe Volvo bought them in 2015. They currently share platforms with Volvo, but that may change after they merge and go public. Honestly when I looked at the C40 Recharge, I see a different car than my Polestar, there are some Volvo bits here and there but for me it's a different car