EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-22, 06:54 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Yes there are many problems with the refresh Model S and the problems I have pale in comparison to some so I actually feel lucky. Some include not including all of the parts (cargo covers and floor mats) with the car upon delivery where the customer has to ask them for them and months later have to follow up to actually get them. Another example of crappy customer service was one of the side cameras fell off, the tab was broken. If this was Lexus, the dealer would have replaced it under warranty no questions asked. I had to pay $150 to replace it even after I asked if it would be covered under warranty. The guy at the service center basically said the good thing about Tesla is at least the parts are usually pretty cheap vs. actually fighting for a warranty claim.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy another one, just baffles me that customer satisfaction is so high. Maybe it is so high because the driving experience is great and you don't need to fill up with gas, who knows. All I know is I get in my car and sometimes I have XM functionality and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I can scroll through the radio stations with my steering wheel controls, sometimes it doesn't work.
Honestly, you have a Friday afternoon car. Most people, including many S owners I know, don't have nearly the issues you do. Most have the 3 or Y and those are also way simpler. Your dealer also doesn't sound great. My service center is wonderful. They really go out of their way to help but I have 3 other service centers near me so it's competitive here. 1st year Teslas are rough.
Old 06-09-22, 09:44 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Honestly, you have a Friday afternoon car. Most people, including many S owners I know, don't have nearly the issues you do. Most have the 3 or Y and those are also way simpler. Your dealer also doesn't sound great. My service center is wonderful. They really go out of their way to help but I have 3 other service centers near me so it's competitive here. 1st year Teslas are rough.
Are they refresh owners though? I too have a few Tesla die hard friends with new Model S's with similar glitches. One of my friends openly regrets upgrading from his 2018.
Old 06-09-22, 09:54 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Are they refresh owners though? I too have a few Tesla die hard friends with new Model S's with similar glitches. One of my friends openly regrets upgrading from his 2018.
Yes but its recent and newer...i hear it got better over time. 1st year Tesla's are a mess. I only got my Model 3 in 2019 after I heard the quality issues were much better. I bet Lucid will have these issues as it gets scale too. Its the growing pains of an auto company ramping for scale.
Old 06-09-22, 09:57 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Yes but its recent and newer...i hear it got better over time. 1st year Tesla's are a mess. I only got my Model 3 in 2019 after I heard the quality issues were much better. I bet Lucid will have these issues as it gets scale too. Its the growing pains of an auto company ramping for scale.
My friend's Lucid has had plenty of issues. She loves it though and it gets attention everywhere up here.
Old 06-09-22, 11:00 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Yes there are many problems with the refresh Model S and the problems I have pale in comparison to some so I actually feel lucky. Some include not including all of the parts (cargo covers and floor mats) with the car upon delivery where the customer has to ask them for them and months later have to follow up to actually get them. Another example of crappy customer service was one of the side cameras fell off, the tab was broken. If this was Lexus, the dealer would have replaced it under warranty no questions asked. I had to pay $150 to replace it even after I asked if it would be covered under warranty. The guy at the service center basically said the good thing about Tesla is at least the parts are usually pretty cheap vs. actually fighting for a warranty claim.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy another one, just baffles me that customer satisfaction is so high. Maybe it is so high because the driving experience is great and you don't need to fill up with gas, who knows. All I know is I get in my car and sometimes I have XM functionality and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I can scroll through the radio stations with my steering wheel controls, sometimes it doesn't work.
My brother in law was looking into buying a Model Y, but he is an avid reader of Consumer Reports and has always based his major purchases on his research from CR, and it barely made the recommend list, so he ordered an Ioniq 5, which was high on their recommend list. Most people I know who own Tesla's (a lot of people) love them, and even with some of the minor annoyances would buy another one without hesitation. Your issue with your Plaid just sounds like a nightmare. I'm telling you if I was in your shoes, I would be in the service managers face making sure they fix the issue, even if they have to pull out all the seats and replace them
Old 06-09-22, 11:28 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

I'm sorry what? "Parts are cheap vs warranty"? What?

Why the hell would I want to buy something new/with a warranty if it doesn't work? That's the whole point of new.....

Stuff like this keeps scaring me away since I would not even be able to fix it myself unlike other brands.
Old 06-09-22, 12:13 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't think it's a Friday car, I just think its a 1st year car. They are still having a lot of issues but it is getting better. Here is a recent post for reference:

"Aside from the number of paint, alignment issues like yourself, I have a laundry list of issues: center screen overheating, door handle getting stuck not being able to open the door, mushy brakes, water getting inside the car b/c the window seals are garbage, distortion in the windshield, rear and side glass, key fobs not working. It is a much longer list but these are just some of the issues i found on inspection day and within the first 100 miles. I continue to find other issues as i've driven the car a hand full of times at most.

I can live with all the issues, knowing they will eventually get fixed. But the lack of customer support is more egregious than the issues themselves. Almost no communication from the service center. Having to wait 3-4 months to resolve these issues is inexcusable for car this expensive. My neighbor purchased a new hybrid from toyota, with zero issues. 10 years in and Tesla still can't figure out how to make a car without these issues b/c they don't give a damn about quality control or customer service.

If lucid didn't have such a long wait list, I would have gone that route instead. I need the range, hence the S, was looking at Porsche, but range is pathetic. I was going to buy the Roadster, at least i didn't blow 200K+ on this type of quality and service."

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
My brother in law was looking into buying a Model Y, but he is an avid reader of Consumer Reports and has always based his major purchases on his research from CR, and it barely made the recommend list, so he ordered an Ioniq 5, which was high on their recommend list. Most people I know who own Tesla's (a lot of people) love them, and even with some of the minor annoyances would buy another one without hesitation. Your issue with your Plaid just sounds like a nightmare. I'm telling you if I was in your shoes, I would be in the service managers face making sure they fix the issue, even if they have to pull out all the seats and replace them
I do love my Tesla and my car isn't a nightmare compared to some I have read about. It's just when I see something about customer satisfaction being so high I feel that I have to provide my experience which isn't out of the norm. I have been to both service centers by me which are about 45 minutes away and while the people were nice, I would rather not waste half of my Saturday sitting there again only to be told incorrectly that the problem was fixed or it may be fixed at a later date in the future.

Originally Posted by Striker223

Why the hell would I want to buy something new/with a warranty if it doesn't work? That's the whole point of new.....

Stuff like this keeps scaring me away since I would not even be able to fix it myself unlike other brands.
There was no way to prove that I didn't break the camera myself besides my word and I wasn't getting anywhere with it so I just folded. With a Lexus dealer, they would either fix it under warranty or just goodwill it. I have had Lexus goodwill something I actually did myself like curbed wheels.
Old 06-09-22, 01:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

You have to remember about the Plaid, it's a high performance car that's still evolving, and as we know about Tesla, it's the early adopters that buy these. This is actually not that different from other high priced performance cars issues I see. A friend has a fairly new Evora that has a ton of issues like the AC just stops working, the car won't start, the window won't go up. He constantly takes it to the dealer, they fix it and it stops working again. Patgilm is right, this is probably among their first batches of Plaid. They will continue to get better and better as the new gens come out. One of my co-workers recently received his Model Y, no issues, the paint and body is all good
Old 06-09-22, 06:56 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

You have to remember about the Plaid, it's a high performance car that's still evolving, and as we know about Tesla, it's the early adopters that buy these. This is actually not that different from other high priced performance cars issues I see. A friend has a fairly new Evora that has a ton of issues like the AC just stops working, the car won't start, the window won't go up. He constantly takes it to the dealer, they fix it and it stops working again. Patgilm is right, this is probably among their first batches of Plaid. They will continue to get better and better as the new gens come out. One of my co-workers recently received his Model Y, no issues, the paint and body is all good
It's a car that has been around since 13, I'm sure they aren't using all new everything. It's not a high performance car like an evora, it's supposed to be a normal everyday driver or that's what the owners usually say
Old 06-09-22, 07:04 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

It's a car that has been around since 13, I'm sure they aren't using all new everything. It's not a high performance car like an evora, it's supposed to be a normal everyday driver or that's what the owners usually say
It's an entire new car built on a new platform you're mistaking it for a regular S from 13 lol. I'm not even going to comment on your high performance statement
Old 06-09-22, 08:19 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

It's an entire new car built on a new platform you're mistaking it for a regular S from 13 lol. I'm not even going to comment on your high performance statement
So you are excusing these types of issues in an 140k car?
Old 06-09-22, 08:20 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

So you are excusing these types of issues in an 140k car?
Absolutely not. It's unacceptable to me. That's why I haven't bought a Tesla yet until they reign in quality
Old 06-09-22, 08:27 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Absolutely not. It's unacceptable to me. That's why I haven't bought a Tesla yet until they reign in quality
That's my main point lol! Your car is actually put together well by the sound of things as are the Audis and other major brands who make EVs
Old 06-09-22, 08:35 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

That's my main point lol! Your car is actually put together well by the sound of things as are the Audis and other major brands who make EVs
​​​​​​ I've made this criticism of Tesla many times. But quality and reliability are two different things. They (Tesla's) are extremely reliable, panel gaps and pieces not fitting are a different issue, and don't make the car unreliable. They have the best drivetrain and battery packs than everyone else, but for me over all quality is important. I also don't like their layout, and their "controls". It's the main reason I never bought one
Old 06-09-22, 08:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

this is about lucid not tesla.

Quick Reply: Lucid Air quality