EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Mach-E recall. Deliveries halted. Oops...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-22, 11:17 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,672 Posts

I think Ford will eventually get through this and succeed, they are just currently going through a rough patch. On my last trip to SoCal I talked to several Mach-E owners, and they absolutely love them. They have been selling them like crazy, which is probably part of the problem, trying to keep up with the demand in a constrained market like this
Old 06-16-22, 11:22 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Agree. This is an OTA update. Probably more convenient than any of the other OEMS that can't do OTA updates.
That's why I'm all for OTA updates. Thankfully this was not purely a hardware related issue, or it could have been worse
Old 06-16-22, 11:42 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Agree. This is an OTA update. Probably more convenient than any of the other OEMS that can't do OTA updates.
Ford put a stop production on the Mach-E this is more than a software bug. edit - stop sale not stop production (I don't think).

Last edited by LeX2K; 06-16-22 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-16-22, 12:17 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I did not know this was an OTA update, but a stop delivery seems like more than that. Otherwise couldn't the dealer just apply the update? Dunno for sure.
I will need to do a little more research....
Old 06-16-22, 12:23 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I did not know this was an OTA update, but a stop delivery seems like more than that. Otherwise couldn't the dealer just apply the update? Dunno for sure.
I will need to do a little more research....
The OTA update isn't ready yet.
Old 06-16-22, 02:29 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The OTA update isn't ready yet.
Do you have a link to this information? I find it interesting. Thanks in advance.
If they don't have the code modification, how do they know there is a software fix? Again, just curious...

Last edited by JeffKeryk; 06-16-22 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-16-22, 02:43 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Watch the fix be a power/amperage limiter via software reducing performance lol!

You can't fix this with software. An electrical system needs to be designed to not fail under more than maximum projected load.
Old 06-16-22, 02:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

After a certain production date the problem is apparently fixed that's more than software.
Old 06-16-22, 03:03 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Do you have a link to this information? I find it interesting. Thanks in advance.
If they don't have the code modification, how do they know there is a software fix? Again, just curious...
Sure. I read it here:

The repair Ford has issued for this recall is a software update to the Secondary On-Board Diagnostic Control Module (SOBDCM) and Battery Energy Control Module (BECM). While these will be performed with an Over-The-Air (OTA) update, unfortunately it won't be ready to roll out until next month.
Source
Old 06-16-22, 03:20 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
After a certain production date the problem is apparently fixed that's more than software.
Yep. That was my fear/thought when I read what the error was. Software can mask it by limiting power but technically it still is not built strongly enough to work as designed
Old 06-16-22, 03:22 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 985 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Watch the fix be a power/amperage limiter via software reducing performance lol!
You can't fix this with software. An electrical system needs to be designed to not fail under more than maximum projected load.
Originally Posted by LeX2K
That's what Im thinking too.
Old 06-17-22, 09:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

glamglam, exit this thread please.
Old 06-17-22, 10:23 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 985 Likes on 784 Posts
Default Mustang Success

Originally Posted by EZZ
The Model Y is a family SUV that is kinda fast. Mostly a cruiser. A Model 3 Performance is a more capable platform as it has Track Mode which enables the owner to adjust the characteristics of the drivetrain so you can enable things like drift mode. Also, Track Mode cools the car down much faster so you don't overheat during track sessions. The Mach E is more Model Y than Model 3 though as its mostly a fast cruiser.
Thank you EZZ for courtesy reply. In your opinion if all things equal do you like the Mustang style with interior less or more than the Tesla? Just curious.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some of them may (?) have already been sold to the New York City Police Department.

Looks pretty tough and scary having that in the rear view mirror.
Nice pic mmarshal!

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I think Ford will eventually get through this and succeed, they are just currently going through a rough patch. On my last trip to SoCal I talked to several Mach-E owners, and they absolutely love them. They have been selling them like crazy, which is probably part of the problem, trying to keep up with the demand in a constrained market like this
They always seem to make a car people like. I mean come on... a Mustang with a 4 banger and people still bought it. haha
I think they will be wildly successful once they get bugs worked out. What you think?
Old 06-17-22, 10:35 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Thank you EZZ for courtesy reply. In your opinion if all things equal do you like the Mustang style with interior less or more than the Tesla? Just curious.

Nice pic mmarshal!

They always seem to make a car people like. I mean come on... a Mustang with a 4 banger and people still bought it. haha
I think they will be wildly successful once they get bugs worked out. What you think?
It's already a wildly successful car. I see more and more of them on the road. They have been selling over 170,000 year over year. Right now if you want to buy one, you probably have a few months wait. Again I've talked to a large number of Mach E owners and they couldn't be happier. Slower charging getting near 80 percent was the only complaint I've heard
Old 06-17-22, 10:42 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330

Nice pic mmarshal!

I think both have their strengths.

Tesla: Drivetrain, performance, software, charging

Mach E: Handling, quality, looks (both inside and out), range

The Mach E looks much nicer than the Teslas

Quick Reply: Mach-E recall. Deliveries halted. Oops...