EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2023 Cadillac Lyriq Discussion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-23, 09:42 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
They said nothing of supplier contraints actually. GM to accelerate Cadillac Lyriq rollout after 122 deliveries in 2022 (electrek.co)

I do know there's been several late stage fixes that needed to be applied.
Six months on sale and 122 vehicles delivered is the definition of supply constraint regardless of whatever excuse GM wants to throw out for not being able to get their vehicles our the factory. Lot of holes have been poked at the BZ4X but even with its six month stop sale for the recall, Toyota still delivered more BZ's in November than Cadillac did with Lyriqs for the entire year.

This is the incompetence I would expect from a startup company, not the world's 4th largest car manufacturer.
Old 02-10-23, 10:07 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Six months on sale and 122 vehicles delivered is the definition of supply constraint regardless of whatever excuse GM wants to throw out for not being able to get their vehicles our the factory. Lot of holes have been poked at the BZ4X but even with its six month stop sale for the recall, Toyota still delivered more BZ's in November than Cadillac did with Lyriqs for the entire year.

This is the incompetence I would expect from a startup company, not the world's 4th largest car manufacturer.
You have no evidence whatsoever to say that it was due to supply constraints. They would say so if that was the case as they've done many times in the past. This is way more indicative of production line/quality control issues that they need to sort out. Sounds like there was a lot manual triaging going on to even get those 122 vehicles out.

To me, the only thing I find shocking is that they released them for sale at all knowing there was production line issues. That screams of someone unwilling to push the on-sale date, perhaps to keep the stock price up. 3-6 month delays aren't uncommon for established automakers at all, letting them trickle out for customer release is odd. Ford did the same thing as Cadillac though on a much larger and embarrassing scale with the botched Explorer and Aviator launch.
Old 02-10-23, 10:20 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
You have no evidence whatsoever to say that it was due to supply constraints. They would say so if that was the case as they've done many times in the past. This is way more indicative of production line/quality control issues that they need to sort out. Sounds like there was a lot manual triaging going on to even get those 122 vehicles out.

To me, the only thing I find shocking is that they released them for sale at all knowing there was production line issues. That screams of someone unwilling to push the on-sale date, perhaps to keep the stock price up. 3-6 month delays aren't uncommon for established automakers at all, letting them trickle out for customer release is odd. Ford did the same thing as Cadillac though on a much larger and embarrassing scale with the botched Explorer and Aviator launch.
We don't seem to be on the same page. I am talking about the supply of vehicles. You are talking about supply of parts to build the vehicles. There is literally almost no supply of Lyriqs being delivered to dealers. Every vehicle in the past two years has dealt with supply chain issues, but EV's have always had issues being sold at volume from any existing OEM barring Tesla. The circumstances behind the Lyriq aren't dissimilar to Lucid, where they also claim to have built far more vehicles than what they actually delivered.
Old 02-10-23, 10:34 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Motorola
We don't seem to be on the same page. I am talking about the supply of vehicles. You are talking about supply of parts to build the vehicles. There is literally almost no supply of Lyriqs being delivered to dealers. Every vehicle in the past two years has dealt with supply chain issues, but EV's have always had issues being sold at volume from any existing OEM barring Tesla. The circumstances behind the Lyriq aren't dissimilar to Lucid, where they also claim to have built far more vehicles than what they actually delivered.
Oh I see, I misunderstood. Regardless, that's still not uncommon with established automakers even with ICE vehicles. They usually just push the on-sale date and stockpile vehicles until things are worked out. This is currently happening with the Dodge Hornet actually.
Old 02-11-23, 12:35 AM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem I have with Cadillac's design language is that it feels like you are constantly wearing a suit and tie, whereas with a Lexus, its more casual.

I wouldn't want to wear a suit every where I go
Old 02-11-23, 06:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

If I wanted a "casual" car, I would buy a mainstream car, personally. I like the traditional formal trappings of a luxury car, I like chrome and trim etc.
Old 02-11-23, 10:51 AM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If I wanted a "casual" car, I would buy a mainstream car, personally. I like the traditional formal trappings of a luxury car, I like chrome and trim etc.
My analogy still stands. I can't wear a suit everywhere I go. I can however dress nicely without over doing it.
Old 02-11-23, 11:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xGS350x
My analogy still stands. I can't wear a suit everywhere I go. I can however dress nicely without over doing it.
Im not saying your analogy is wrong, I’m just saying I like the suit.
Old 02-11-23, 12:04 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Im not saying your analogy is wrong, I’m just saying I like the suit.
Mercedes doesn't seem to be as "suity" as Caddilacs design though imo
Old 02-11-23, 12:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xGS350x
Mercedes doesn't seem to be as "suity" as Caddilacs design though imo
I just don't see that...
Old 02-11-23, 12:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Been seeing this new EV on commercials lately on TV. The ad is some musical one…. My Spidey-senses are telling me that this new Cadillac is not going to be very successful.
Old 02-15-23, 07:06 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

I saw a Lyriq in the wild yesteday. Looks awesome. It has been the only EV the last 18 months that I would have considered over a Tesla Y (which I now own) - styling of this is better than the Y inside and out in my opinion. I first saw it at a car show about 18 months ago and have been excited for it to become production ready. I still believe Tesla is the better choice right now due to proven ability with software stability and the charger network. But for aesthetics, this is a great looking car. FWIW, I believe these early models being released have much less power than the ones coming out in 6-12 months which I believe are the AWD models. If I remember correctly there was only about a $5k MSRP difference.

Old 02-15-23, 08:27 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I saw one in LA yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was going to look ugly on the road but it actually looks quite good.
Old 05-28-23, 10:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
savagegeese very impressed by it
this is the ev i find most desirable thus far.
after watching another review, still think this is very very nice.

Old 05-28-23, 01:26 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Finally got to test drive a Lyriq and a couple of issues stood out. Opening the doors is a 2-step process. Front doors you hit the handle, it pops out, but not for you to grab. You then use the little hook above the handle to pull the door open. For the back doors, again hit the handle but you then must reach around and grab the door frame to open the rest of the way. Why you can't just use the handles that pop out is beyond me, guess Cadillac just wanted to be 'different'. Anyone with a mobility issue with their hands I'm sure will find this to be problematic. The other issue I had was with the A/C. The vents are mounted low and do not adjust where you can have air blowing on your upper body. Being in Florida, I like having the air directed towards my face to cool off, but couldn't do in the Lyriq. Just a personal preference.

Quick Reply: 2023 Cadillac Lyriq Discussion (merged threads)