EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2023 Cadillac Lyriq Discussion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-22, 05:48 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and are those speakers in the headrests?
Yup, those are speakers in the headrest.

The rear is atrocious. It's slightly longer than the 3rd row Lexus RX, but the interior volume rivals that of the 2nd row RX. Where did all that space go? No front trunk either!

With that being said, I have the AWD model on pre-order. The interior is absolutely gorgeous and and that's what sealed the deal for me. They seem to be taking luxury seriously with the bespoke interior parts (nothing you'll find in the GM parts bin), active noise cancellation, and a butt load of luxury features for a mere $65k. Never in a million years did I think I would get excited about a Cadillac, let alone buy one.
Old 06-29-22, 07:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Seems super impressive!
Old 06-29-22, 11:30 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Would have been somewhat interesting if the D-pillar wasn't so screwy. Way too many vertical lines and extensions. Too bad.
Old 06-30-22, 06:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

another glowing review:

2023 Cadillac Lyriq First Drive Review: A Whole New Ballgame

Even before Cadillac let me take a spin in its flashy new Lyriq electric SUV, the public was champing at the bit to pick one up. The first round of orders sold out in mere minutes, and after making an entire model year's worth of 'em available in the same way, those too sold out. That's a hell of a blind gamble from the general public, but after driving the Lyriq, I think these folks are about to hit the jackpot.

Before I talk about the Lyriq, let's talk about the rest of Cadillac's unibody crossovers: the XT4, XT5 and XT6. Frankly, they're all tepid. Their interiors are uninspiring, leaning too heavily on parts from other General Motors cars, whether it's switchgear or tech. The cars themselves don't ride particularly well. They feel like letdowns in the face of some very strong competition. It appears the automaker already kind of knew this, because every step Cadillac took in creating the Lyriq addresses all these issues in major ways.

For the Lyriq, Cadillac took a long look at GM's parts bin and promptly told it to **** off. The automaker went back to the drawing board for the Lyriq's interior, and the result is impressive. Every touch point is brand spankin' new and far fancier than any other GM product. Seemingly simple bits like the climate vent ***** have knurling. The undertray, which is large enough to handle at least one purse, is lined with blue leather, as is the pop-out cubby underneath the climate controls. The window switches feel better than those in German cars. Even the steering wheel and the stalks behind it are unique. They won't be unique for long, since all these posh new bits will make their way to future Cadillac models, but it's good to see the automaker finally establishing itself as something other than Buick Plus.
+43 more
See all photos The attention to detail doesn't stop with the switches. Considering the Lyriq starts around $63,000, the interior almost feels like a bargain. Sure, there are a few bits of hard plastic in the lower half of the cabin, but by and large, Cadillac outdid itself. The open-pore ash wood trim on the door panels has laser-cut triangles, with 28-color ambient lighting shining through from behind. The leather is soft, and the seats in both rows are comfortable and supportive. The 19-speaker AKG sound system absolutely bumps, with some impressive fidelity at "nobody will ever listen to music this loudly" levels. Even the USB-C port in the undertray has a brushed metal surround.

Cadillac could've easily taken the multipanel OLED display from the new Escalade, slapped it in the Lyriq and called it a day. Instead, the automaker whipped out an entirely new beast, a one-piece 33-inch LED display, and it slaps. It's capable of displaying more than a billion colors, and thanks to Unreal Engine, the graphics are cutting-edge. It's touch-capable, but there's also a dial controller and quick-access buttons on the center console if people want to skip the fingerprints. The gauge-cluster half can display range, speed and power usage in a couple different ways, but it can also show a fullscreen map with turn-by-turn directions.
Enlarge ImageMany dashboard displays are just rectangles hidden inside more interesting shapes, but the Lyriq's screen was purpose-built for this application.
Andrew Krok/CNETDid I mention that the Lyriq's navigation is straight-up Google Maps? Because it is, and it's just as easy to use here as it is on your phone. Google integration permeates the entire infotainment system, offering Google Assistant and the Play Store baked right in, similar to what GM is doing with other new-for-2022 vehicles. A quick-access dock at the bottom of the right half of the display lets me bounce between various settings to cut down on distraction. Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are standard, too, with USB-C ports and wireless charging to ensure everyone stays juiced up. The only real complaint I have here is that the screen is the only way to open the glove box, which is silly. There's no head-up display, but honestly, you don't need one.

The Lyriq is preternaturally soft and quiet. There are no three-chamber air suspensions or magnetorheological shocks under the body, but that's fine, because the passive dampers do just as good of a job eliminating all but the harshest road inconsistencies, even with my tester's honkin' 22-inch wheels and low-profile 275/40R22 Michelin all-season tires. Active noise cancellation dominates unwanted road and wind noise until you're pushing 80 mph, and even then, it's still Lexus quiet in here. All that plushness may lead you to believe the Lyriq leans like a wayward ship in turns, but you'd be wrong. GM's Ultium EV platform keeps the weight nice and low, so there's surprisingly little body roll through switchbacks.
Enlarge ImageThe Lyriq's charge port is on the driver's side fender. Just tap the Cadillac badge, and the panel will slide down.
Andrew Krok/CNET102 kilowatt-hours' worth of battery cells are integrated into the Cadillac's floor, offering an EPA-estimated range of 312 miles in rear-wheel-drive configuration. The pack will recharge at speeds up to 190 kilowatts at a DC fast charger. Home charging will be a little slower, with an onboard 7.7-kilowatt trickle charger that will add a few miles of range per hour from your average 120-volt outlet. Plug the Lyriq into 240-volt AC and things are a little zippier, offering 11.5 kW for AWD variants and a peppy 19.2 kW for RWD models. The latter is enough to add 52 miles of range per hour, which means charging overnight will top you off by the time you have to head to work in the morning.

340 horsepower and 325 pound-feet of torque may not sound like all that much, but it's more than enough to get the Lyriq moving in a hurry. The accelerator pedal is tuned for smoothness, but swapping to Sport mode on the infotainment display will perk up the response a bit. The Lyriq's powertrain is not here to roast rubber and whip ****ties in the 7-Eleven parking lot, it's here to coddle the hell out of you, and it does.
Enlarge ImageThe Lyriq isn't trying to be a sports SUV. Tour mode is where this car shines.
Andrew Krok/CNETWhen it comes to slowing down, the Lyriq gives me options. One-pedal driving is offered in two different strengths, and I prefer it in its strongest setting, which allows for some serious deceleration in case I misjudge stopping distances. But there's also a pressure-sensitive on-demand paddle on the left side of the steering wheel that lets me dial it in gradually, which is a neat addition. It's not a game changer, but variety is the spice of life.

As for exterior aesthetics, the Lyriq is kind of a weird bird, but weird is good in the year of our lord 2022. This SUV turns necks around every corner. The large "grille" up front turns into an inverted light-up mustache at night, and there's a fun little animation when the car is locked or unlocked. Considering the XT4, XT5 and XT6 could be mistaken for each other at most points in time, it's good to see Cadillac breaking free of the cookie-cutter mold.

The Cadillac Lyriq is a whole new beginning for a brand that desperately needed to stand further afield from its family. If this is a sign of what's to come, the competition will need to stay on its toes. Sleeping on Cadillac is no longer an option.
Old 06-30-22, 06:56 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

[ off topic, needless baiting ]

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-30-22 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-30-22, 09:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

situman, if you have nothing constructive to add, please don't post in this thread.
Old 06-30-22, 11:29 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey689

The Cadillac of Cadillacs

"The Lyriq is the first Cadillac to employ GM’s Ultium electric powertrain technology, comprised of a modular battery pack and, in this case, the choice of one or two electric motors. The single-motor version gets rear-wheel drive, with the e-motor providing 340 horsepower and 325 pound-feet of torque. The EPA-rated driving range is 312 miles. Stepping up to the all-wheel-drive version adds another motor at the front, for a total estimated system output of 500 horsepower. It uses the same 102-kilowatt-hour battery as the RWD version, so while driving range has not yet been assessed, for that extra potency.

Unless you live in the snow belt, the ample power of the RWD model and the extra range it affords would make it the smart choice, but the 500-horsepower and narrow price delta of the AWD — just $2,000 for the 2023 model – is hard to pass up. The gap in pricing increases for 2024, though, to around $4,000."

Source
From above
Rear wheel drive= 340 HP
All wheel drive= 500 HP

Originally Posted by GSteg
With that being said, I have the AWD model on pre-order. The interior is absolutely gorgeous and and that's what sealed the deal for me. They seem to be taking luxury seriously with the bespoke interior parts (nothing you'll find in the GM parts bin), active noise cancellation, and a butt load of luxury features for a mere $65k. Never in a million years did I think I would get excited about a Cadillac, let alone buy one.
I've never drove a 500 HP car, sounds fast if not too heavy.
Did you order the AWD because you need it or just like to have the extra gusto for just a few dollars $$$ more?
Old 06-30-22, 12:45 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
From above
Rear wheel drive= 340 HP
All wheel drive= 500 HP

I've never drove a 500 HP car, sounds fast if not too heavy.
Did you order the AWD because you need it or just like to have the extra gusto for just a few dollars $$$ more?
The latter. The vehicle will be porky at nearly 6000lbs so the extra oomph is well worth the small price increase. The RWD isn't recommended for towing where as the AWD is rated for 3500lbs and it’s supposed to have the factory hitch and wiring installed.
Old 06-30-22, 12:55 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Cadillac as a brand is on life support.

Nothing about this suv is exciting to me. Seems to be underpowered and overpriced.
Styling is too quirky to have wide appeal and interior tech is not game changing.

I predict ton of recalls on this model.

Old 06-30-22, 03:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yet...they're all sold out
Old 06-30-22, 06:44 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yet...they're all sold out
Easy to sell out when you’re making very limited quantities.
Lucid and Rivian is also sold out, means nothing.
Old 06-30-22, 07:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Easy to sell out when you’re making very limited quantities.
Lucid and Rivian is also sold out, means nothing.
Lucid is absolutely not sold out. Can't speak to Rivian because I don't follow them. Lucid sold out of the first dream editions, but they have not marketed that they were sold out at all.
Old 06-30-22, 07:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

not hard for lucid to be 'sold out' if they can only make a dozen a month.
Old 07-01-22, 03:48 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

Looks encouraging at first glance, I just really hope GM doesn't manage to pull a GM and have a great initial product that they screw up/cheapen over time like tends to happen.

Needs more power and range though.
Old 07-01-22, 04:34 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and are those speakers in the headrests?
Ugh speakers in the headrests reminds me of the old 80’s Pontiac Fiero. I’m sure these are much better but I thought they were terrible.

Quick Reply: 2023 Cadillac Lyriq Discussion (merged threads)