EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Tire Tax... Ouch!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-22, 09:10 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,729 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Idk, that seems like a similar price as what I might pay for a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for my IS 350. Not too crazy, but not cheap. A set of four would run me over $1400 from Tire Rack.

Continental ProContact RX does not sound like anything special, but if it's an OE tire like-for-like replacement... yeah, that will always be expensive. I just listed above the Michelins as being over $1400. For the exact model of tire that came on my car, it's closer to $1600. OE tires, in my experience, are almost always overpriced, especially when it comes to Lexus and Toyota.
Old 07-26-22, 10:58 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Idk, that seems like a similar price as what I might pay for a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for my IS 350. Not too crazy, but not cheap. A set of four would run me over $1400 from Tire Rack.

Continental ProContact RX does not sound like anything special, but if it's an OE tire like-for-like replacement... yeah, that will always be expensive. I just listed above the Michelins as being over $1400. For the exact model of tire that came on my car, it's closer to $1600. OE tires, in my experience, are almost always overpriced, especially when it comes to Lexus and Toyota.
If this is the case, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't by the Pilot Sport 4S. Besides being a runflat is there something special about the OE tire where someone has to get it for their Tesla?
Old 07-26-22, 10:59 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by jwong77
If this is the case, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't by the Pilot Sport 4S. Besides being a runflat is there something special about the OE tire where someone has to get it for their Tesla?
Because I could get something like a Continental ExtremeContact Sport for like 2/3 the price. It's just a money thing. Well, that, and all tires have pros and cons. The Michelins are more sporty and thus have a little more road noise than some other brands.
Old 07-26-22, 11:32 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Because I could get something like a Continental ExtremeContact Sport for like 2/3 the price. It's just a money thing. Well, that, and all tires have pros and cons. The Michelins are more sporty and thus have a little more road noise than some other brands.
I was strictly comparing the OE to the Michelins. FYI, I recently had to choose between the Pilot Sport 4s and the Extremecontact Sports for my S2000, and decided to go with the Conti's because of availability. At first, I wasn't sure about the decision, but it turned out pretty good. Glad I went with them.
Old 07-26-22, 11:45 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Hmm, and it looks like those Continental ProContact RXes are not necessarily run-flats? It's confusing. Sometimes it shows as a run-flat and other times not. Why can't they just put "run-flat" in the name if it's a run-flat?

Originally Posted by jwong77
I was strictly comparing the OE to the Michelins. FYI, I recently had to choose between the Pilot Sport 4s and the Extremecontact Sports for my S2000, and decided to go with the Conti's because of availability. At first, I wasn't sure about the decision, but it turned out pretty good. Glad I went with them.
Nice. I am still waffling on what to put on my IS 350 once the stockies are done. I am pretty much debating between the Conti's and the Michelins. Also could throw the Pirelli P Zero PZ4 into the mix, since they seem to be a little better in the rain than the Michelins and have less road noise, while costing a couple hundred less than the Michelins for a set.
Old 07-26-22, 12:02 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Hmm, and it looks like those Continental ProContact RXes are not necessarily run-flats? It's confusing. Sometimes it shows as a run-flat and other times not. Why can't they just put "run-flat" in the name if it's a run-flat?

Nice. I am still waffling on what to put on my IS 350 once the stockies are done. I am pretty much debating between the Conti's and the Michelins. Also could throw the Pirelli P Zero PZ4 into the mix, since they seem to be a little better in the rain than the Michelins and have less road noise, while costing a couple hundred less than the Michelins for a set.

Not sure about the Pirelli's, I didn't see them come up on my Tirerack search.

I also heard that the Michelin's were less noisy. But this wasn't a factor for the S2000.

You may want to consider the Bridgestone Potenza Sports too. They were roughly the price of the Conti's. I didn't go with them since they were new at the time and didn't have many reviews. Best of luck with your choice!
Old 07-26-22, 12:15 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
as the kids say, "you gotta pay to play" .
...and they are usually right and straight to the point. No sugar coat.