EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Possible new EV tax credits for GM, Tesla and Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-22 | 01:37 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

In all seriousness and reading through all the comments, I am for government funding new technologies (like batteries for example), and I'm 100 percent for government funding for building out the charging infrastructure. What I don't think is government should directly subsidize companies, and a high networth individual buying a $100K EV. So although I benefited from the EV credit twice, I would have leased both vehicles anyway, regardless of the credit. As far as programs that assist lower income individuals into used EV's, I have to research into that before I can say anything on that front. As someone who believes in the free market and capitalism, I still believe those in need should not be left behind.

Now to zoom in locally...the state of California is pushing for EV's to at least be at a 50 percent adoption rate by some arbitrary date. As someone who has over two years of ownership of two EV's and having experienced the benefits as well as the cons, I'm all for it. But in order for the state to make this viable, they have a huge responsibility. They need to fund charging infrastructure, and in this case I'm all for rebates directly to the buyers, property owners etc (that put in chargers). I pay a hell of lot taxes to the state, and I want something back for it. I want to be able to drive from the most northern part of my state all the way to San Diego and be able to have immediate access to a Level 3 charger. And I want 100 percent of them online and working. And when I go camping in Sequoia National Park or Kings Canyon, at or near the entrance of the park I want superchargers available so one day I can take my EV minivan up into the mountains camping
Old 07-30-22 | 02:06 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
In all seriousness and reading through all the comments, I am for government funding new technologies (like batteries for example), and I'm 100 percent for government funding for building out the charging infrastructure.
I'd much rather see this and be extension improve the grid. Let auto makers worry about selling their cars without hand outs.
Old 07-30-22 | 02:24 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I'd much rather see this and be extension improve the grid. Let auto makers worry about selling their cars without hand outs.
Building charging infrastructure and improving the grid go hand in hand
Old 07-30-22 | 02:37 PM
swajames
Pole Position

What if Elon IS the A.I. pretending to be human. Tech is dribbled out slowly instead of all at once as to quietly acclimate us in enslavement.
Could be on to something there. Trouble is his AI tech seems to be working about as well as his autopilot does…

Old 07-30-22 | 02:44 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
Could be on to something there. Trouble is his AI tech seems to be working about as well as his autopilot does…
Well ah, Elon has seemed to be running into what some may call "bugs" lately
Old 07-30-22 | 04:58 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

In all seriousness and reading through all the comments, I am for government funding new technologies (like batteries for example), and I'm 100 percent for government funding for building out the charging infrastructure. What I don't think is government should directly subsidize companies, and a high networth individual buying a $100K EV. So although I benefited from the EV credit twice, I would have leased both vehicles anyway, regardless of the credit. As far as programs that assist lower income individuals into used EV's, I have to research into that before I can say anything on that front. As someone who believes in the free market and capitalism, I still believe those in need should not be left behind.

Now to zoom in locally...the state of California is pushing for EV's to at least be at a 50 percent adoption rate by some arbitrary date. As someone who has over two years of ownership of two EV's and having experienced the benefits as well as the cons, I'm all for it. But in order for the state to make this viable, they have a huge responsibility. They need to fund charging infrastructure, and in this case I'm all for rebates directly to the buyers, property owners etc (that put in chargers). I pay a hell of lot taxes to the state, and I want something back for it. I want to be able to drive from the most northern part of my state all the way to San Diego and be able to have immediate access to a Level 3 charger. And I want 100 percent of them online and working. And when I go camping in Sequoia National Park or Kings Canyon, at or near the entrance of the park I want superchargers available so one day I can take my EV minivan up into the mountains camping
I wasn't aware that you couldn't do that. If any state would have chargers all over the place, it's CA I would think.
Old 07-30-22 | 05:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

EV infrastructures are growing. There are a lot more charging stations now compared to 5 years ago and there are continued efforts to expand that. As the demand for EV grows, so will the number of stations. Gas stations didn't magically pop out of the ground either.
Old 07-30-22 | 05:10 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
I wasn't aware that you couldn't do that. If any state would have chargers all over the place, it's CA I would think.
You can. But the numbers of EV'S on the road are exploding to the point where the numbers of superchargers for non Teslas is not keeping up fast enough. No one expected the numbers to grow so fast. Also in some more rural areas you have to drive through to get between SF and LA have maybe 4 to 6 charging stations per stop, but there will be 10 EV'S that need to charge.

Keep in mind I'm talking about charging while traveling. Most people only use superchargers while traveling. Teslas don't have this issue, Tesla spent the last 10 years building their charging infrastructure
Old 07-30-22 | 05:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
EV infrastructures are growing. There are a lot more charging stations now compared to 5 years ago and there are continued efforts to expand that. As the demand for EV grows, so will the number of stations. Gas stations didn't magically pop out of the ground either.
Agreed. But the numbers of EV'S on the road traveling has grown faster than the number of charging stations. I've traveled several times between Northern California and Southern California, and there will be four Electrify America chargers and 5 or 6 EV'S. And a few times half the superchargers will be offline.

The good news is that adding Superchargers is cheaper than gas stations, and they can literally be placed anywhere
Old 07-30-22 | 05:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

It's just a matter of time before it catches up. As long as it's developing, I don't see it as an issue, just a temporary inconvenience. Tesla will soon install adapters that will allow non-Tesla vehicles to charge at their supercharging stations so that should provide some relief.
Old 07-30-22 | 05:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by Bob04
You would think, due to the "existential threat of climate change", that we would be incentivizing anything and everything to save us.
keep politics and debate content out of this thread folks for do not post.
Old 07-30-22 | 05:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
It's just a matter of time before it catches up. As long as it's developing, I don't see it as an issue, just a temporary inconvenience. Tesla will soon install adapters that will allow non-Tesla vehicles to charge at their supercharging stations so that should provide some relief.
Oh I have no doubt. I don't think companies like Electrify America expected the current growth, they were thinking 2025! Tesla is building a massive 100 chargers at Harris Ranch, and they have another location right before the Grapevine. Opening up their charging infrastructure to non Teslas would be a big relief
Old 07-30-22 | 07:53 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Building charging infrastructure and improving the grid go hand in hand
True but the scale (and expense) of improving the grid is well beyond the scope of any auto maker although Tesla is into grid storage.
Old 07-30-22 | 08:31 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

True but the scale (and expense) of improving the grid is well beyond the scope of any auto maker although Tesla is into grid storage.
The grid is 100 percent the governments responsibility, State and federal
Old 07-30-22 | 08:47 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

The grid is 100 percent the governments responsibility, State and federal
So in a situation where PG&E uses Tesla hardware (Elkhorn Battery project) who maintains it?

Quick Reply: Possible new EV tax credits for GM, Tesla and Toyota