EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Possible new EV tax credits for GM, Tesla and Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-22 | 08:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
So in a situation where PG&E uses Tesla hardware (Elkhorn Battery project) who maintains it?
I meant funding it's modernizing. If it's PG&E's equipment than they are responsible
Old 07-31-22 | 01:51 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Let me clarify my post regarding government funding of new technologies (such as batteries etc) and the building out of charging infrastructure for my Canadian friend Lex2k, who seems to be surprisingly more a defender of Capitalism that even I am . Please note the word I picked "funding" was done so carefully. The government is not giving away money, but "investing" in future technologies. That means they are expecting a Return with a capital R. The difference between the traditional corporate investor is they are looking for a quick return with a 10x in their pocket. Government investing is not looking for that quick return (so less pressure), and their ask is more like 2 or 3x. So that mean that government money is vital for innovation to occur. CATL, the Chinese battery company recently announced a breakthrough with Sodium-Ion batteries that have higher energy density, and will be able to give an 80 percent SoC in 15 minutes. Without government investment, the Chinese are going to be leaders in battery tech and we are always going to be behind.

So to summarize, I'm against government giveaways (Fed tax credits directly to companies and consumers of EV's), but I am for funding of emerging technologies like EV's, batteries tech, and charging infrastructure etc. I am for State tax credits because the state is pushing a mandate, and It's my income taxes, not someone else's who lives in another state

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 07-31-22 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-01-22 | 03:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Let me clarify my post regarding government funding of new technologies (such as batteries etc) and the building out of charging infrastructure for my Canadian friend Lex2k, who seems to be surprisingly more a defender of Capitalism that even I am . Please note the word I picked "funding" was done so carefully. The government is not giving away money, but "investing" in future technologies. That means they are expecting a Return with a capital R. The difference between the traditional corporate investor is they are looking for a quick return with a 10x in their pocket. Government investing is not looking for that quick return (so less pressure), and their ask is more like 2 or 3x. So that mean that government money is vital for innovation to occur. CATL, the Chinese battery company recently announced a breakthrough with Sodium-Ion batteries that have higher energy density, and will be able to give an 80 percent SoC in 15 minutes. Without government investment, the Chinese are going to be leaders in battery tech and we are always going to be behind.

So to summarize, I'm against government giveaways (Fed tax credits directly to companies and consumers of EV's), but I am for funding of emerging technologies like EV's, batteries tech, and charging infrastructure etc. I am for State tax credits because the state is pushing a mandate, and It's my income taxes, not someone else's who lives in another state
Not sure why it matters what you, me, or Bob think about this. Reality is that US has lowest market share of new EVs sold in western world, and that is because of other countries subsidizing development of EV technologies, production as well as sales.

I believe market share of all plugins (BEV/PHEV) in USA is way less than 10%, hovering around 4%-6%, while in Germany it is over 30% now. This means that German and European manufacturers are getting benefits of the manufacturing and selling/repairing at scale that GM and Ford simply do not, let alone hundreds of companies that could manufacture parts for evs or infrastructure. They are all left behind.

Tesla gets incentives everywhere, so in EU they get incentives for sales of their Chinese built Model 3 and Model Ys.
Old 08-01-22 | 07:49 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
Not sure why it matters what you, me, or Bob think about this. Reality is that US has lowest market share of new EVs sold in western world, and that is because of other countries subsidizing development of EV technologies, production as well as sales.

I believe market share of all plugins (BEV/PHEV) in USA is way less than 10%, hovering around 4%-6%, while in Germany it is over 30% now. This means that German and European manufacturers are getting benefits of the manufacturing and selling/repairing at scale that GM and Ford simply do not, let alone hundreds of companies that could manufacture parts for evs or infrastructure. They are all left behind.

Tesla gets incentives everywhere, so in EU they get incentives for sales of their Chinese built Model 3 and Model Ys.
The US is complicated. I can't get into it without touching on the big "P", which is a no no. We will eventually catch up with other developed countries, that's all I can really say on the matter...
Old 08-02-22 | 09:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think the US senate will pass this. It will be a great thing for America