EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

BYD Seal coming for Tesla Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-22 | 02:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default BYD Seal coming for Tesla Model 3

looks GREAT... 2 screens, nice interior design elements, likely less expensive than model 3.

Old 07-30-22 | 03:23 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
looks GREAT... 2 screens, nice interior design elements, likely less expensive than model 3.

https://youtu.be/mk4LbU-mJrM
Looks great especially for the price. Won't see this anytime soon in the US right?

I'm sure there is going to be a particular someone that will find something negative to say because it's not their preferred EV brand.
Old 07-30-22 | 03:37 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Stubby, looks like the most recent Dodge Dart.
Old 07-30-22 | 06:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

From what they show looks very sharp. Except the shifter it makes me angry.
Old 07-31-22 | 12:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Except the shifter it makes me angry.
angry? lol, why?
Old 07-31-22 | 01:08 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

angry? lol, why?
He consulted with Elon, and it was all thumbs down
Old 07-31-22 | 01:17 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Fit & finish look nice, but what's the range? And looks like BYD has a huge presence, but what's the experience of the car like? I have a few friends who were/are anti-Tesla so they bought the Mach E Mustang and they all regret it. The reality is EV's are software on wheels, so bugs and glitches become extremely obvious. I'd have to be convinced their sample size and track record is significant before considering them. Tesla is a known commodity.
Old 07-31-22 | 01:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Fit & finish look nice, but what's the range? And looks like BYD has a huge presence, but what's the experience of the car like? I have a few friends who were/are anti-Tesla so they bought the Mach E Mustang and they all regret it. The reality is EV's are software on wheels, so bugs and glitches become extremely obvious. I'd have to be convinced their sample size and track record is significant before considering them. Tesla is a known commodity.
You are exactly right, the software is an important part of EV's. Proper battery management is everything. When I bought my Polestar 2 in January, it had a few annoying bugs, it was getting much less range than expected. It has had four OTA software updates since, and each update has made the car so much better. Originally it was consuming around 35 to 38 kWh per 100 miles, which is probably 85 to 90 MPG equivalent, today it's consuming around 33 kWh per 100 miles, basically getting more than 100 MPG equivalent. They fixed the throttle mapping to make acceleration smoother, and they released some additional battery giving about 10 more miles per full charge
Old 07-31-22 | 03:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Fit & finish look nice, but what's the range? And looks like BYD has a huge presence, but what's the experience of the car like?
warren buffet's a big backer of byd by the way.

more info
BYD, the Buffett-backed carmaker that recently became the first to give up on solely gas-powered vehicles, just lifted the curtains over its hotly anticipated Seal model that plans to take on the Tesla Model 3 in the affordable EV segment. While the Model 3's rampant price increases have taken it out of the affordable range, the BYD Seal will start from the equivalent of US$31,130 in its RWD version with standard 340-mile range.

The top-end BYD Seal with AWD technology and 405-mile range will cost US$42,575, a tad above the longest, 435-mile range model. For comparison, in the same market Tesla charges for the entry level Model 3 with the same base range as much as for the top-end Seal and that's with the government subsidies. The BYD Seal's dimensions are larger than those of the Model 3 to boot, and it comes with a cell-to-body battery packaging technology that incorporates the cells into the frame.

Coupled with BYD's innovative blade battery solution, this structure has allowed for a much safer electric vehicle with double the torsion rigidity and 50% better protection in case of frontal collisions. BYD touts that, while "while undergoing nail penetration tests, the Blade Battery emitted neither smoke, nor fire after being penetrated, and its surface temperature only reached 30 to 60°C." The pack was also "subjected to other extreme test conditions, such as being crushed, bent, being heated in a furnace to 300°C and overcharged by 260%. None of these resulted in a fire or explosion," BYD adds, while current high-nickel performance EV batteries "exceeded 500°C and violently burned" during the nail test.

The BYD Seal models are slated for release in August with up to 150 kW fast charging capability that pumps the battery from 30% to 80% in half an hour. BYD already has 60,000 pre-orders on hand and said it will gradually be increasing its production capacity for the Seal to 30,000 units per month, presenting a formidable competition to the Tesla Model 3 there.
source: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Tesla-....637784.0.html

I have a few friends who were/are anti-Tesla so they bought the Mach E Mustang and they all regret it. The reality is EV's are software on wheels, so bugs and glitches become extremely obvious. I'd have to be convinced their sample size and track record is significant before considering them. Tesla is a known commodity.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-31-22 | 10:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

angry? lol, why?
Because it doesn't need to be this big showpiece use that space for something useful. Does it get your Seal of approval?
Old 08-01-22 | 03:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Seal has 110k in sales for June 22.

Byd has been focusing on price vs high tech of other Chinese EV startups.

Seems like they were right.

Of course, pricing will end up pretty high once it comes to Europe, none of the Chinese EVs have really great pricing in Europe
Old 08-01-22 | 05:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Because it doesn't need to be this big showpiece use that space for something useful. Does it get your Seal of approval?
Seal of approval, i see what you did there.

first off, i don't get 'angry' over shifter design.

second, the shifter isn't that big and is surrounded by all kinds of other non-shifting controls so it's fine to me.

Old 08-01-22 | 10:39 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Seal of approval, i see what you did there.

first off, i don't get 'angry' over shifter design.

second, the shifter isn't that big and is surrounded by all kinds of other non-shifting controls so it's fine to me.

yeah I don't see a big shifter. I mean i guess based on size of it they could use that space as a coin holder. I myself wouldn't get angry not having a coin holder cubby space instead of the shifter.