EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Plaid Review by Regular Car Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-22, 04:02 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I just hope it calms down some before I have to replace it
You have a very good engine/trans so I'm certain if needed you can ride it out for a little while longer than normal. However I'm in the same boat as you, I'm itching for something new now that my house is finished and I'm done spending on it but prices are nuts.
Old 08-09-22, 04:04 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
You also just flat out got a good deal and bought at the right time. Now the dealer markups are just barely keeping cars prices inline with general price increases. A 70k car back in 2010 is now a 130k car so yeah, 100k most certainly isn't what it used to be
^^ This ^^ I wouldn't buy anything right now unless I had no choice. The next car buying window will be end of next year when my wife's Ioniq lease ends, and if the market continues to be this insane, I will just buy out my wife's 2020 Ioniq lease, as when I bought it the price was really low. I would have to look at the lease contract, but I'm pretty sure it will be a steal to buy out. Then I'll just give it to my son when prices go down and get my wife another car.

As far as buying a Plaid...Yeah I don't think that car is in the stars
Old 08-09-22, 04:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
You have a very good engine/trans so I'm certain if needed you can ride it out for a little while longer than normal. However I'm in the same boat as you, I'm itching for something new now that my house is finished and I'm done spending on it but prices are nuts.
Luckily I am perfectly happy with what I have right now and don't feel any itch for something else. I'd always love to replace the Pacifica with something I would like more but thats not necessary, and I rarely ever drive it.
Old 08-09-22, 07:15 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

That’s a pretty funny review, the comment about the reverse shocker made me laugh. The new rear tailights look so much better than the ones on the early refresh.

He touches on the fit and finish a bit but it appears the build quality of these Models S’ have actually gotten worse since they came out last year if that is possible. Some of the issues are absurd but as people say, that’s what you get with Tesla. It’s amazing to see almost everyone on the forum praying they get a good one without issues but nearly every single one has issues, some of which are unexplainable like mismatched trim or missing parts as if maybe the owner wouldn’t notice.
Old 08-09-22, 10:55 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

I…I…I’m just confused after watching the video. I didn’t really understand anything the guy was saying. It wasn’t irritating but just went over my head with the references. I thought he would show more of the Plaid, but it was more of a monologue while driving a car.

I still remember sitting in high school AP Calculus with an issue of Car and Driver and thinking there’s no way I would drop $80K on a car. Well, never say never. You just can’t predict how the future will be or how your life experiences will shape and evolve your sensibilities and perception of the world since those teenage years. I still remember when pagers were a new thing, but now I spot more charging stations than phone booths.

One point I agree from the video is there isn’t much faster an EV can go beyond Plaid. It just isn’t practical on public streets. So where do we go from here? There is still lots of room for improvement in other areas but straight-line acceleration seems like a done game. It is disappointing that build quality is still a challenge for Tesla at $150K. We were fortunate that our 2021 Model Y literally did not have any imperfections that I could spot (and I went through a 30-pt checklist from the Tesla forums). The only minor common quibble was the doors needed more force to close but that remedied itself after a few weeks. Shocking to still read of QC issues upon delivery of Austin-built Model Ys, considering that factory is supposed to be the most advanced with the state of the art manufacturing and assembly processes. I am glad we don’t need another car anytime soon, prices are ridiculous yet people are still buying. How can there be so many people that have no other choice than to buy now? When the car market settles back down in a couple of years, won’t all those people be upside down in their auto loans?
Old 08-10-22, 07:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
That’s a pretty funny review, the comment about the reverse shocker made me laugh. The new rear tailights look so much better than the ones on the early refresh..
Yeah they do, I have seen a few IRL with the new tails and headlights, the headlights I don't think are much of an improvement, but the taillights are for sure.
Old 08-10-22, 07:53 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
I…I…I’m just confused after watching the video. I didn’t really understand anything the guy was saying. It wasn’t irritating but just went over my head with the references. I thought he would show more of the Plaid, but it was more of a monologue while driving a car.

I still remember sitting in high school AP Calculus with an issue of Car and Driver and thinking there’s no way I would drop $80K on a car. Well, never say never. You just can’t predict how the future will be or how your life experiences will shape and evolve your sensibilities and perception of the world since those teenage years. I still remember when pagers were a new thing, but now I spot more charging stations than phone booths.

One point I agree from the video is there isn’t much faster an EV can go beyond Plaid. It just isn’t practical on public streets. So where do we go from here? There is still lots of room for improvement in other areas but straight-line acceleration seems like a done game. It is disappointing that build quality is still a challenge for Tesla at $150K. We were fortunate that our 2021 Model Y literally did not have any imperfections that I could spot (and I went through a 30-pt checklist from the Tesla forums). The only minor common quibble was the doors needed more force to close but that remedied itself after a few weeks. Shocking to still read of QC issues upon delivery of Austin-built Model Ys, considering that factory is supposed to be the most advanced with the state of the art manufacturing and assembly processes. I am glad we don’t need another car anytime soon, prices are ridiculous yet people are still buying. How can there be so many people that have no other choice than to buy now? When the car market settles back down in a couple of years, won’t all those people be upside down in their auto loans?
His reviews are more about people than cars. His humor can be very existential at times. I watch him more for his humor than his car review
Old 08-10-22, 07:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think his reviews of real "regular cars" are better given his humor...
Old 08-10-22, 08:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

couldn't listen to the "reviewer's" childish drivel for more than a couple of minutes. so stupid.
Old 08-10-22, 08:36 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
couldn't listen to the "reviewer's" childish drivel for more than a couple of minutes. so stupid.
if you go into an RCR video expecting an alex on autos type review:

Old 08-10-22, 08:42 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

mr. regular vids are great (when he doesn't go too far lol), and i think this was a particularly good one

starting at 1:17 the whole 45 second build up to, 'nah man'....... mmehehhh..... cracked up up the first time lmao

i agree with him these cars are the closest thing to present day muscle cars, crazy amounts of straight line performance with bad build quality and dangerous brakes
Old 08-10-22, 08:49 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
When he gets to childish...which is often, I just skip ahead. BTW, he's almost perfectly emulating real people, more childishly, but pretty accurately
Old 08-10-22, 02:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Did you watch his Oldsmobile Bravada review? LOL
Old 08-10-22, 05:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
When he gets to childish...which is often, I just skip ahead. BTW, he's almost perfectly emulating real people, more childishly, but pretty accurately
oh he emulates annoying childish people very well.
Old 08-10-22, 06:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
if you go into an RCR video expecting an alex on autos type review:
wasn't expecting anything in particular, and definitely not alex on auto's uniquely boring style.

Quick Reply: Tesla Plaid Review by Regular Car Reviews