EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Model S Plaid with a steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-22, 06:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
If I had the performance pack with 6 piston Brembo's I would say you were wrong, but I just have the regular non performance brakes, and I never intended or intend to take it on a track. I'm also extremely happy not to have to change my brakes often
You have to go flat out and move your foot around in the correct way or you're not allowed to have Brembo's.
Old 08-24-22, 06:27 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Capacitive touch is nothing new.

GM had in the 1980 and the 1990s. Wasn’t terrible but you really had to take your eyes of the road to work the hvac.

For some reason, Tesla does it….and people think it’s “new” lol and the greatest thing ever lol. It’s NOT. The stalk is the best method to turn signals
Who said anything about it being new?
Old 08-24-22, 06:42 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
You have to go flat out and move your foot around in the correct way or you're not allowed to have Brembo's.
You my brother are a clown 😂
Old 08-24-22, 06:43 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
Who said anything about it being new?
Tesla=Bad. That's my math lesson to you for the day
Old 08-24-22, 06:52 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
You have two feet. Go track drive and tell me if one pedal driving makes any sense, remember I HAVE driven a bunch of EVs and the first thing I do is turn that as low as possible/off. It disrupts control of a car badly. I seriously can't believe you move a foot around when going fast, that just tells me you aren't really going that fast and you are the one in the wrong here since you have never really gone flat out.
With the Plaid you don’t have control over the amount of regen there is so there is no way to turn it down/off. When I first got the car I didn’t like the amount of regen it had and was annoyed I couldn’t turn it down like some of the other models; however once I got used to it I wouldn’t want it any other way. I’m not tracking this thing and one pedal driving is so nice for daily driving. The brakes are absolute junk anyway so the less I use them the better.
Old 08-24-22, 06:56 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
With the Plaid you don’t have control over the amount of regen there is so there is no way to turn it down/off. When I first got the car I didn’t like the amount of regen it had and was annoyed I couldn’t turn it down like some of the other models; however once I got used to it I wouldn’t want it any other way. I’m not tracking this thing and one pedal driving is so nice for daily driving. The brakes are absolute junk anyway so the less I use them the better.
Don't they offer you guys Brembo's? Even Polestar gives you Brembo's if you get the Performance pack. The regular brakes are excellent, but I wouldn't trust them on a track
Old 08-24-22, 07:06 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Don't they offer you guys Brembo's? Even Polestar gives you Brembo's if you get the Performance pack. The regular brakes are excellent, but I wouldn't trust them on a track
They have been promising a $20k carbon ceramic upgrade for a while now and said it would be available mid 2022 but that has come and gone so who knows when that is available. I wouldn’t even want carbon ceramic brakes for a daily driver and it makes no sense for daily driving. All that is really needed are better rotors and new pads for about $3-$4k which I would’ve paid for if it was an option or if it wasn’t an option, the price was increased.
Old 08-24-22, 07:14 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

They have been promising a $20k carbon ceramic upgrade for a while now and said it would be available mid 2022 but that has come and gone so who knows when that is available. I wouldn’t even want carbon ceramic brakes for a daily driver and it makes no sense for daily driving. All that is really needed are better rotors and new pads for about $3-$4k which I would’ve paid for if it was an option or if it wasn’t an option, the price was increased.
There must be some decent aftermarket options for brakes and rotors. They stopped selling the F-Sport brake and rotor upgrade for the 2nd gen IS350 so I went aftermarket
Old 08-24-22, 07:17 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

There must be some decent aftermarket options for brakes and rotors. They stopped selling the F-Sport brake and rotor upgrade for the 2nd gen IS350 so I went aftermarket
That’s what I mean, there are aftermarket pads and rotors for around $3-$4k that a lot of people say makes a big difference.
Old 08-24-22, 07:23 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

That’s what I mean, there are aftermarket pads and rotors for around $3-$4k that a lot of people say makes a big difference.
Oh duh, sorry I missed that! If I owned a Plaid, I would definitely go that route. Good brakes and rotors make a huge difference, and I do a lot of trips to SoCal where you really need to depend on how good your brakes are. With regen braking (at least in my case), you spend that once every 8 to 10 years
Old 08-24-22, 08:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Are they actual buttons with a detent at least?
i don't think so, just images on a flat area of the wheel you have to 'know' or look where they are.

Ha! That's idiotic. Haptic Touch is beyond stupid in a car since it requires you to look at it.

You are One thousand percent wrong about One Pedal braking. One thousand percent. It makes the driving experience way better, especially on curvey and downhill roads because you never have to move your foot from the accelerator.
unless you're a passenger and don't like getting motion sickness. one thing i enjoy in my ice cars is gliding to a halt with very gentle braking.

With the Plaid you don’t have control over the amount of regen there is so there is no way to turn it down/off.
in the video, guy says track mode has stronger regen?
Old 08-24-22, 08:46 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

It's too heavy, you would need brakes like a top tier 911 to be able to use them to the extent you may want to. Same deal with most cars honestly, you will fade them out since they can't shed heat and it's the main limiting factor even on backroads when you run back and forth. I usually have to call it quits after 3 runs since the brakes are glowing
Old 08-24-22, 08:48 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't think so, just images on a flat area of the wheel you have to 'know' or look where they are.

unless you're a passenger and don't like getting motion sickness. one thing i enjoy in my ice cars is gliding to a halt with very gentle braking.

It would make sense since the friction brakes are not the best on that car, on the P100 I drove I was shocked how underpowered they are. Felt like a 392 Hemi in a car with 5.7 brakes if that makes any sense......way too much motive force vs arresting.
Old 08-24-22, 09:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

My wife is extremely prone to car sickness, and never gets sick when I drive. Once you get used to driving using one pedal drive it becomes natural and you never want to go back as you have way more control. Of course one could act like an a hole and purposely make your passengers sick, which is not hard to do. There is no issues with gliding, just let off a little off slightly, or turn off OPD completely, which you can do in most EV'S
Old 08-25-22, 05:18 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

That is correct, in track mode it is supposedly stronger but that is because of the drive mode and most people don’t drive around town in track mode. Some of the other models have an adjustable setting for regen, standard and low, that you can set based on your preference.

Quick Reply: Model S Plaid with a steering wheel