EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Model S Plaid with a steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-22, 05:37 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
unless you're a passenger and don't like getting motion sickness. one thing i enjoy in my ice cars is gliding to a halt with very gentle braking.
100 % wrong. Once you learn how to use it properly (it took me 15 mins), it's extremely smooth and can be as gentle and calm as you let off the throttle, bringing the car to a very smooth stop

The videos where you see the opposite is simply because the reviewers didn't bother learning how to use it or are just closed minded about it completely.
Old 08-25-22, 07:19 AM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

i see the car's fit and finish is still wonderful.
I remember seeing another Tesla (was it Y or S?) posted here with some worse quality. But could this be due the angle of the camera? Or this is typical quality?

Originally Posted by patgilm
I still like the yoke for 90% of my driving. The change I really want is a turn signal stalk.Those buttons are terrible and are anything but intelligent. The stalks that allow you to flick up or down for 3-5 blinks for changing lanes and full click up or down to stay on through a turn are superior. No reason to over-engineer something that isn’t broken in the first place.
Yeah I find interesting that some luxury cars don't have this. Does yours have it, Steve? Or is it an add on option?
Old 08-25-22, 07:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Yeah I find interesting that some luxury cars don't have this. Does yours have it, Steve? Or is it an add on option?
Yep, mine will flash 5 times with a quick push up or down on the stalk.

As for one pedal driving, I don't think I have ever talked to anybody who didnt like it once they got used to it.
Old 08-25-22, 07:53 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yep, mine will flash 5 times with a quick push up or down on the stalk.

As for one pedal driving, I don't think I have ever talked to anybody who didnt like it once they got used to it.
Yes, it's one of those features that once you start using, you wish it was in every car. It's especially helpful and gives you more control when having to make sudden lane changes or merges and traffic ahead has slowed. Took me 15 to 20 minutes to master it.

Don't like it still? You can turn it off or on low in most EV'S
Old 08-25-22, 09:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

even my hyundai has this.

Originally Posted by Hameed
100 % wrong.
yes but how do you really feel? AMIRZA said striker was 1000% wrong so i guess striker was worse.

regen braking is needed to increase range. one pedal driving is a good way to 'sell' it. and it's nice for the driver who only has to drive with one pedal most of the time. tell me this, what settings are there for one pedal driving? can the regen vary? in other words, maybe i want aggressive regen going down a mountain, but i want gentle regen coming up to a light on a flat road.

anyway, we'll all be using it soon enough as ice cars are banned.
Old 08-25-22, 09:27 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

even my hyundai has this.

yes but how do you really feel? AMIRZA said striker was 1000% wrong so i guess striker was worse.

regen braking is needed to increase range. one pedal driving is a good way to 'sell' it. and it's nice for the driver who only has to drive with one pedal most of the time. tell me this, what settings are there for one pedal driving? can the regen vary? in other words, maybe i want aggressive regen going down a mountain, but i want gentle regen coming up to a light on a flat road.

anyway, we'll all be using it soon enough as ice cars are banned.
My Polestar has three settings: 1) Normal, which is the most aggressive, 2) Low which you barely feel and 3) Off, which speaks for itself. I leave it on the Normal setting because I'm now used to it and I want maximum regen. As for your last comment, welcome to the Tin foil hat club, where the moto is, "No way your going to read my thoughts!"
Old 08-25-22, 09:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
As for your last comment, welcome to the Tin foil hat club, where the moto is, "No way your going to read my thoughts!"
thanks for the cheap shot, but no idea what you're talking about as states like california have already announced they're banning the sale of ice cars in 2035.
i've already said it's highly likely my next vehicle is electric, by the way, unless they're so expensive at that point in which case i'll just buy my hyundai for work out of the lease.
Old 08-25-22, 09:49 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

thanks for the cheap shot, but no idea what you're talking about as states like california have already announced they're banning the sale of ice cars in 2035.
i've already said it's highly likely my next vehicle is electric, by the way, unless they're so expensive at that point in which case i'll just buy my hyundai for work out of the lease.
That wasn't directed to you. California is not going to ban ICE by 2035, that is not possible. How are you going to ban over 40 million cars already on the road? Even Tesla doesn't have the charging infrastructure to handle that many cars. EV's will eventually become dominant, but not due to California banning ICE by some arbitrary date.

And that California thread is just a conspiracy lovers dream come true. It's funny how people in there can make comments like calling California communist and get away with it when counter comments get deleted
Old 08-25-22, 09:59 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Goal is to ban new ICE car sales by 2035 not ban them completely at least I think that's right.
Old 08-25-22, 10:03 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Goal is to ban new ICE car sales by 2035 not ban them completely at least I think that's right.
I'm not not going to comment on this any further. Back to Plaid now
Old 08-25-22, 10:15 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

yes but how do you really feel?
That's exactly how I feel - the statement made famous by Alex on Autos about feeling sick because of regen is completely wrong.

Think about it like this - in the same way that you press the brake pedal in a smooth modulated manner to stop smoothly (unless you're stomping on the brake pedal in an emergency), you do the exact same thing but in reverse when taking your foot off the accelerator. Once you wrap your head around the fact that releasing the throttle acts like a brake pedal, its easy to get used to and modulating it just right to come a to very smooth stop. I don't like driving any car now that forces me to use the brake pedal to slow down. It just feels so old tech now.

Two modes on a Tesla (other than Performance models)

Choose from two levels:
  • Standard: Provides the maximum amount of regenerative braking. When you release the accelerator, Model S slows down, reducing the need to use the brakes.
  • Low: Limits regenerative braking. When you release the accelerator, Model S takes longer to slow down and coasts further than if set to "Standard".
My personal use case and I think most people tend to just leave it in Standard. It's very rare that someone actively switches between the two modes on a frequent basis. I sometimes put in Low for a few mins after washing the car so that the rotors dry out faster before the car is parked.

Last edited by Hameed; 08-25-22 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-25-22, 10:35 AM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

unless you're a passenger and don't like getting motion sickness. one thing i enjoy in my ice cars is gliding to a halt with very gentle braking.
I've seen posts complaining about motion sickness with this feature... I personally haven't tried so can't comment. But seems like it takes time/skills to make it work seamlessly. I already have issue with my notorious grabby brakes.
Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
My wife is extremely prone to car sickness, and never gets sick when I drive. Once you get used to driving using one pedal drive it becomes natural and you never want to go back as you have way more control. Of course one could act like an a hole and purposely make your passengers sick, which is not hard to do. There is no issues with gliding, just let off a little off slightly, or turn off OPD completely, which you can do in most EV'S
I guess all wives are different.

Old 08-25-22, 10:51 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I've seen posts complaining about motion sickness with this feature... I personally haven't tried so can't comment. But seems like it takes time/skills to make it work seamlessly. I already have issue with my notorious grabby brakes.

Polestar regen is aggressive, but you can turn it to low or turn it off completely. I'm now used to it so I don't make my passengers sick...unless I'm being a bit devilish
Old 08-25-22, 01:03 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

I'm well aware of how it works and how to use it, and I don't like it.
Old 08-25-22, 03:07 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

When I took the Model 3P for a test drive my wife told me I was making her sick and she felt like she was going to throw up. It was mainly because I wasn’t used to modulating the pedal that good. She was hesitant about buying an EV at the time because of it but now we are both used to it so it isn’t an issue, just takes a little time.

Now the only thing she yells at me for is if I hit the accelerator even halfway without giving her a heads up because her head hits the headrest so hard it gives her a headache and when I say she yells at me it’s not joking, she’s genuinely pissed.

Quick Reply: Model S Plaid with a steering wheel