EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Model S Plaid with a steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-22, 03:28 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
When I took the Model 3P for a test drive my wife told me I was making her sick and she felt like she was going to throw up. It was mainly because I wasn’t used to modulating the pedal that good. She was hesitant about buying an EV at the time because of it but now we are both used to it so it isn’t an issue, just takes a little time.

Now the only thing she yells at me for is if I hit the accelerator even halfway without giving her a heads up because her head hits the headrest so hard it gives her a headache and when I say she yells at me it’s not joking, she’s genuinely pissed.
My wife hates it when I hit the accelerator hard, it scares the crap out of her! Sometimes I'll threaten her with it, she gives me this look that never gets old
Old 08-25-22, 05:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Stop using sex electric vehicle as a weapon
Old 08-25-22, 05:37 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Stop using sex electric vehicle as a weapon
She did tell me once that she felt "hot". Oh wait, I'd forgotten to turn on the AC....
Old 08-25-22, 05:38 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

When I took the Model 3P for a test drive my wife told me I was making her sick and she felt like she was going to throw up. It was mainly because I wasn’t used to modulating the pedal that good. She was hesitant about buying an EV at the time because of it but now we are both used to it so it isn’t an issue, just takes a little time.

Now the only thing she yells at me for is if I hit the accelerator even halfway without giving her a heads up because her head hits the headrest so hard it gives her a headache and when I say she yells at me it’s not joking, she’s genuinely pissed.
Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
My wife hates it when I hit the accelerator hard, it scares the crap out of her! Sometimes I'll threaten her with it, she gives me this look that never gets old
Mine gets upset when I back off at "only" 100.....she constantly wants to full send it at every light lol!
Old 08-25-22, 05:42 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Mine gets upset when I back off at "only" 100.....she constantly wants to full send it at every light lol!
My wife's a big wuss. The last time I hit 100 to pass a truck on a two lane highway she put her head down and was talking in only what I can describe as gibberish
Old 08-25-22, 05:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

back to model s plaid with a steering wheel. you know, the thread title.

saw an article about yokes wearing out super fast. so maybe the reason to get the wheel is because the yoke is garbage quality. or wait, maybe because of the way it REQUIRES people to use it, it causes premature wear.

Old 08-25-22, 06:11 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

saw an article about yokes wearing out super fast. so maybe the reason to get the wheel is because the yoke is garbage quality. or wait, maybe because of the way it REQUIRES people to use it, it causes premature wear.
Like as in visual wear and tear or mechanical?
Old 08-25-22, 06:11 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

There has been some people that have yokes that have premature wear or accidentally scratch it with their nail or ring or something and some that just wear down. Pretty sad if you ask me. If it happens to me and it’s not covered under warranty I would buy an aftermarket yoke and hope it’s better quality. After seeing some pics on the forums I’m trying to be careful but I really shouldn’t have to.
Old 08-25-22, 06:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I bet its the "synthetic leather" covering they use.
Old 08-25-22, 06:33 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

There has been some people that have yokes that have premature wear or accidentally scratch it with their nail or ring or something and some that just wear down. Pretty sad if you ask me. If it happens to me and it’s not covered under warranty I would buy an aftermarket yoke and hope it’s better quality. After seeing some pics on the forums I’m trying to be careful but I really shouldn’t have to.
That's operator error, no? I've never messed up a wheel but I only touch them with my palms not nails, I never touch anything with those since it can mar a button/control/whatever
Old 08-25-22, 07:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

nice…….
Old 08-25-22, 07:24 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

That's operator error, no? I've never messed up a wheel but I only touch them with my palms not nails, I never touch anything with those since it can mar a button/control/whatever
Yes and no, some of it is user error where something just scratches it by accident and some just from bad/premature wear or poor manufacturing. Some have been able to get it replaced under warranty.
Old 08-25-22, 07:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Like as in visual wear and tear or mechanical?
material wear... here's an article: https://www.thedrive.com/news/tesla-...re-30000-miles

i wouldn't be surprised if many plaid owners drive the car with a death grip on the yoke when using all that power.

Old 08-25-22, 07:46 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Yes and no, some of it is user error where something just scratches it by accident and some just from bad/premature wear or poor manufacturing. Some have been able to get it replaced under warranty.
material wear... here's an article: https://www.thedrive.com/news/tesla-...re-30000-miles

i wouldn't be surprised if many plaid owners drive the car with a death grip on the yoke when using all that power.
Holy $#!% that's way worse than I was thinking! Damn I thought people were exaggerating but that looks like a fake leather substitute that is just coming apart like a cheap office chair. EDIT, perhaps offer a wood or brushed stainless option? Something?

Last edited by Striker223; 08-25-22 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-25-22, 07:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

The "vegan leather" seems to hold up pretty well on the seats...but a steering wheel is a whole different thing. if I got one I would get a high quality wood/leather wheel, something like this:

https://pimpmyev.com/products/custom...hoCM_cQAvD_BwE

Quick Reply: Model S Plaid with a steering wheel