EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

article on abysmal new model S 'quality'

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-22, 03:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

even if the mold car is user error, the other, blue NEW model s is a disaster.
Old 09-23-22, 10:22 AM
PrimeDave
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I could be wrong but I feel like I've seen and read about several factory quality issues with Teslas. If this is the case and theses issues are more than just "rare" occurrences.

Why is Tesla's Quality Control Dept so bad?? You'd think they'd get their arms around this thing and resolve these issues before they go up for sale??
Old 09-23-22, 10:37 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by PrimeDave
I could be wrong but I feel like I've seen and read about several factory quality issues with Teslas. If this is the case and theses issues are more than just "rare" occurrences.

Why is Tesla's Quality Control Dept so bad?? You'd think they'd get their arms around this thing and resolve these issues before they go up for sale??
Because making cars at volume for a startup brand just isn't easy. Look at Lucid- arguably better quality, but so far have struggled to make even 1,000 cars this year.

Of course, Tesla isn't a startup anymore, but the rapid pace at which they increased volume the past ~5 years came at the cost of quality.
Old 09-23-22, 01:39 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Because making cars at volume for a startup brand just isn't easy. Look at Lucid- arguably better quality, but so far have struggled to make even 1,000 cars this year.

Of course, Tesla isn't a startup anymore, but the rapid pace at which they increased volume the past ~5 years came at the cost of quality.
i don’t think that’s the reason. musk is hell bent on full automation. He does not like people getting in the way of the production process so that means there is no stopping of production line like Toyota when there is an issue.

Old 09-23-22, 01:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Why is Tesla's Quality Control Dept so bad??
your first assumption i would question is that they have a dept.

You'd think they'd get their arms around this thing and resolve these issues before they go up for sale??
they've concluded shipping as many units as possible is more important than blow back about quality. that most owners would rather get their hands on the hard to get holy tesla cars than wait for better quality. i assume tesla thinks they can fix build quality from factory 'later'.

another reason i won't buy one any time soon.

Old 09-23-22, 02:45 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
i don’t think that’s the reason. musk is hell bent on full automation. He does not like people getting in the way of the production process so that means there is no stopping of production line like Toyota when there is an issue.
Musk wants full automation but the current Tesla factories are far off from achieving that, it's just like any other OEM factory bar some unique processes like gigacasting. It wasn't that long ago that they were building by hand inside of a tent.
Old 09-23-22, 04:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
your first assumption I would question is that they have a dept.
.........a low blow, but, unfortunately, one with a fair amount of truth in it.
Old 09-23-22, 05:34 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

They are normal occurrences with the Model S. The other models are fine but all you have to do is look at the Model S forum and look at the issues thread or the new delivery thread to see the number of issues. More often than not there are fit/finish issues. Sone of the cars coming with noticeable body work done too and they just want you to take the car and fix it later. No way any other car company does that.

Even with my issues, mine is one of the better built ones compared to what I’ve seen. Unfortunately not only does my memory seat that moves my seat forward and backward not work, now my telescoping steering wheel memory doesn’t work all the time, maybe 50% of the time. Seems like a small complaint but when there are no physical buttons, I have to do 3 steps in the screen to adjust it and a fourth and fifth step to get rid of the screen. Then my wife comes home and tells me on her last trip she couldn’t get the radio to turn on. Lastly, I noticed tonight that my read drivers door creaks loud as heck like an old 70’s Chevy.

Old 09-24-22, 06:18 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
They are normal occurrences with the Model S. The other models are fine but all you have to do is look at the Model S forum and look at the issues thread or the new delivery thread to see the number of issues. More often than not there are fit/finish issues. Sone of the cars coming with noticeable body work done too and they just want you to take the car and fix it later. No way any other car company does that.
Lastly, I noticed tonight that my read drivers door creaks loud as heck like an old 70’s Chevy.
I'm not interested in an EV yet so I haven't "wandered" to Tesla forums to check. Good to know. Thanks for sharing.
Even with my issues, mine is one of the better built ones compared to what I’ve seen. Unfortunately not only does my memory seat that moves my seat forward and backward not work, now my telescoping steering wheel memory doesn’t work all the time, maybe 50% of the time. Seems like a small complaint but when there are no physical buttons, I have to do 3 steps in the screen to adjust it and a fourth and fifth step to get rid of the screen. Then my wife comes home and tells me on her last trip she couldn’t get the radio to turn on. Lastly, I noticed tonight that my read drivers door creaks loud as heck like an old 70’s Chevy.
Don't you wish you had assignable buttons?
Old 09-24-22, 01:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

is new Model X the same? 2021/2022 Model 3 are not built this bad.
Old 09-24-22, 04:32 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Don't you wish you had assignable buttons?
I like certain functions to be hard buttons. My ‘21 X7 is perfect, climate, heated seats, heated steering wheel are all hard buttons and to me those are what I want for hard buttons and there are also 8 assignable buttons for anything you want. The one hard button I like but it doesn’t have is a climate sync button so I assigned to one of the 8 assignable buttons. The ‘23 X7 lost almost all the hard buttons and also lost the 8 assignable buttons. Big mistake to me.

Originally Posted by spwolf
is new Model X the same? 2021/2022 Model 3 are not built this bad.
Not sure if the refreshed Model X has as many issues since I only frequent the Model S forum. I oniy know the 3 and Y are generally good from Model S owners that have a 3 or a Y also.
Old 09-24-22, 06:23 PM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

I like certain functions to be hard buttons. My ‘21 X7 is perfect, climate, heated seats, heated steering wheel are all hard buttons and to me those are what I want for hard buttons and there are also 8 assignable buttons for anything you want. The one hard button I like but it doesn’t have is a climate sync button so I assigned to one of the 8 assignable buttons. The ‘23 X7 lost almost all the hard buttons and also lost the 8 assignable buttons. Big mistake to me.
yep i’m aware you have an x7. I have a 21 x5. It’s def sad that those are going away. X5 has one more year for now.