EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Model Y Performance Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-22, 09:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
I can understand that. If I were still living in Los Angeles, I probably would not have gotten a Tesla due to how many there are literally *everywhere* but now that I live in the Midwest, Teslas are such a rarity out here. Ours gets so many stares and so much attention, it's nuts. We get back in the car and find Sentry footage of people doing full walkarounds and checking it out.

I've never had a car that got so much positive attention from people so I'm enjoying driving the "cool" car after my GS. No one ever noticed my GS 🥲
Where in the Midwest do you live? Are there any sales/service centers within a reasonable distance?
Old 09-28-22, 09:55 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Where in the Midwest do you live? Are there any sales/service centers within a reasonable distance?
Nearest one is 2 hours away 🙂
Old 09-29-22, 07:41 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Did you check out the X5? I think you will like it. I had a spanking new X3 as a loaner. I think X3 owners would like X5. Almost same but a step higher. The most noticeable for me is the quality/material used inside. I think you will most likely like 45e. Air suspension comes standard. You can get 23 for MSRP no issue now.
The X5 is very nice and the interior quality is definitely better than X3, you can also get massage seats which I really want.
My issues with X5 are its a little too big without any measurable improvement in cargo or back seat leg room. I don’t like the 2 part opening for the hatch. Also its not as sporty as the X3 M40i model due to the larger size / weight.
Old 09-29-22, 07:45 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Have 3 friends with Mach E's. All 3 are having issues and not overly thrilled. One is a buddy I've had for almost 30 years - he has always been the "go against the crowd guy" - he would never buy a Tesla simply because so many other people own them. His Mach E is a year old and is currently in the shop for 30+ days getting the battery swapped out. He's had multiple other issues and said "I probably should've bought the Tesla" - that's a big statement from him.

FWIW, he has a loaner Polestar and is absolutely loving that. Maybe give that a whirl as well.
Not surprised about Mach E issues.
I also heard most Ford dealers don’t know how to fix/work on them as they are very different than the ICE issues due to it being mostly software related. They are still trying to train employees on this.
Old 09-29-22, 07:54 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The X5 is very nice and the interior quality is definitely better than X3, you can also get massage seats which I really want.
My issues with X5 are its a little too big without any measurable improvement in cargo or back seat leg room. I don’t like the 2 part opening for the hatch. Also its not as sporty as the X3 M40i model due to the larger size / weight.
Try X5 with adaptive suspension. You will find it feels way sportier than X3 without it. its size/weight/power balance is just great.
Old 09-29-22, 08:05 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lalexusgs
Try X5 with adaptive suspension. You will find it feels way sportier than X3 without it. its size/weight/power balance is just great.
I have driven most X5 versions even the M50i with the V8.
They handle great but they don’t feel like M40i, which has more direct steering, feels lighter and is just sharper overall.

The X5 will be getting LCI in a few months- march 2023 I believe.
I’m sure it will be uglier and have IDrive 8 with LCD screen.
Old 09-29-22, 08:15 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by lalexusgs
I read all G05 come with same adaptive suspension hardware. M Sports is tuned differently to give a more sporty feel. I personally think non M is already more than needed for me. I'm on staggered 21" and wish I had air suspension. It took me a while to feel comfortable with Comfort Mode. I know some went with 20" for same reason. But I guess everyone is different when it comes to Sport/Comfort.
Old 09-29-22, 08:21 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The X5 will be getting LCI in a few months- march 2023 I believe.
I’m sure it will be uglier and have IDrive 8 with LCD screen.
Not as good looking. Seriously though it may not have that drastic change like X7. Have you seen the face of new X1? I think LCI won't have that split eye design. But yes, iDrive 8, screen and less buttons are most likely coming. You can still get '23 if those bother you. But you have issues with legrooms and don't like GLE. Tough decision. May as well just circle back.
Old 09-29-22, 08:40 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

^
BTW I finally got to drive my brother’s new Cayenne GTS.
May do separate review on it but i much prefer iDrive setup and most control on it are no longer physical buttons.

He is a year into the lease and needs 3row SUV, so asking if I want to take over but payment is way too high for me. Definitely really nice sporty SUV with a V8.
Old 09-29-22, 04:38 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I placed a model y performance order, about 4-5 months ago. Came about 68 plus tags taxes etc. now they are at 70k plus I think.
well the time came to pick it up, had the financing secured etc/ bought car charger at home and the travel charger which they don’t include.
2 days before pick up I cancelled, lost the 500$ deposit plus money I already spent on things mentioned above.

i was thinking of retiring my 2013 rx350 with 195k miles on it. Tesla gave me a rap offer on the rx which turned me off anyways I figured I will sell it or just keep it. So which car should I get rid off, gsf? No I like the gsf a lot better. Lx570? Same as I use it for cross country trips. So no.

back to rx350 which is at almost 200k with no issues looks and runs like brand new and I was thinking if the model y can go 100k maybe it’s a keeper. But I usually don’t drive speed limit, am faster not aggressive just 10-20 mph faster than posted. Here we have long highways and straight back roads with no traffic. The range of model y would probably be 210ish in my way of driving. My friend who has a model s, had 31 small concerns addressed in the first year he owned the car. That was a huge con..

I hate the model y looks, it’s like out of a Pixar cars movie. Dimensions are like an egg. That didn’t help either. I figured only electric car I really like is the Porsche. So when they get around 300 mile range will get it.
Old 09-29-22, 04:47 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
I placed a model y performance order, about 4-5 months ago. Came about 68 plus tags taxes etc. now they are at 70k plus I think.
well the time came to pick it up, had the financing secured etc/ bought car charger at home and the travel charger which they don’t include.
2 days before pick up I cancelled, lost the 500$ deposit plus money I already spent on things mentioned above.

i was thinking of retiring my 2013 rx350 with 195k miles on it. Tesla gave me a rap offer on the rx which turned me off anyways I figured I will sell it or just keep it. So which car should I get rid off, gsf? No I like the gsf a lot better. Lx570? Same as I use it for cross country trips. So no.

back to rx350 which is at almost 200k with no issues looks and runs like brand new and I was thinking if the model y can go 100k maybe it’s a keeper. But I usually don’t drive speed limit, am faster not aggressive just 10-20 mph faster than posted. Here we have long highways and straight back roads with no traffic. The range of model y would probably be 210ish in my way of driving. My friend who has a model s, had 31 small concerns addressed in the first year he owned the car. That was a huge con..

I hate the model y looks, it’s like out of a Pixar cars movie. Dimensions are like an egg. That didn’t help either. I figured only electric car I really like is the Porsche. So when they get around 300 mile range will get it.
You'd be a great candidate for the Maserati Grecale Folgore when it comes out (reliability concerns are valid though). There's going to a bevy of great choices with ~300mi range out here soon.
Old 09-29-22, 04:52 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

Is the Macan GTS something you would consider? My brother is in the same boat as you.
Old 09-29-22, 05:23 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Nearest one is 2 hours away 🙂
Bummer. As the Tesla brand continues to grow there probably will be a service center closer to you.
Old 09-30-22, 07:10 AM
MDlexus
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

The Polestar 3 will be unveiled Oct 12th. Will be similar in size to the Porsche Cayenne. May be worth a look.
Old 09-30-22, 07:42 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 382 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by MDlexus

The Polestar 3 will be unveiled Oct 12th. Will be similar in size to the Porsche Cayenne. May be worth a look.
Ooh, that looks interesting. Another one that I am VERY interested in is the Cadillac Lyriq. I saw that in-person at a big car event in Amelia Island last May - I loved everything about it. It was still considered a "prototype" at that event, but the guy working told me it was 99% what we'd see in production (side mirrors and wheels were changing). Gorgeous interior, styling looks significantly better in person than pics (and I think it looks good in pics). I think the first set of deliveries for those are happening in Q4. Might be hard to get for a few months but might be worth the wait; it was really nice. That's high on my list since my wife does not like the styling of the Tesla Y and I refuse to spend the money on the S.

Quick Reply: Model Y Performance Review