EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Model Y Performance Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-22, 08:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
I placed a model y performance order, about 4-5 months ago. ...

The range of model y would probably be 210ish in my way of driving. My friend who has a model s, had 31 small concerns addressed in the first year he owned the car. That was a huge con..

I hate the model y looks, it’s like out of a Pixar cars movie. Dimensions are like an egg. That didn’t help either.
just wondering why would you order a car with inadequate range, quality issues you don't want to deal with, and looks you hate?

Originally Posted by MDlexus

The Polestar 3 will be unveiled Oct 12th. Will be similar in size to the Porsche Cayenne. May be worth a look.
looks great but expect it to be 6 figures!
Old 09-30-22, 09:25 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

That would be a hard price to justify IMO. The Lyriq is in the low $60k range and you really can't option it. I think they'll be similar size and Cadillac is known for luxury. Not sure why Polestar would think they can get a 50% premium.
Old 09-30-22, 09:26 AM
MDlexus
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Fully loaded probably. It will likely start @ 75-80K. We will soon find out for sure though.
Old 09-30-22, 10:30 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I test drove it and honestly I loved the acceleration and the interior dimensions were decent too. only after I ordered it whenever I saw it on the road I was questioning myself that I really want to get this now. One I passed few model ys (trip to NY) wife mentioned that this car looks even uglier than the Prius I owned back in 09. so its a combination of things, Range I didnt know drops that much based the way you drive. after educating myself (should have done before) but I didnt think it justifies 70K plus tag. Plus I dont want to deal with any issues
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just wondering why would you order a car with inadequate range, quality issues you don't want to deal with, and looks you hate?

Old 09-30-22, 10:59 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 653 Likes on 407 Posts

I test drove it and honestly I loved the acceleration and the interior dimensions were decent too. only after I ordered it whenever I saw it on the road I was questioning myself that I really want to get this now. One I passed few model ys (trip to NY) wife mentioned that this car looks even uglier than the Prius I owned back in 09. so its a combination of things, Range I didnt know drops that much based the way you drive. after educating myself (should have done before) but I didnt think it justifies 70K plus tag. Plus I dont want to deal with any issues
The Model Y is going to get its advertised range, even with some occasionally spirited driving. 300 miles range is more than sufficient for most use cases. The thing people always forget is that the EPA range assumes 55% city and 45% highway, and EVs tend to deliver good efficiency for town driving so if your driving mix is more biased to town/city you can likely exceed the EPA estimates.
Old 09-30-22, 11:09 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

I never liked how the Ys, 3s, and Xs look. They looked tall like the GX I had. But this weird proportion grew on me. Still don't like the front and how the lights look and need to look inside but the tails look fine to me now. I was bombarded by bunch of Ys, 3s and 2 X, 2 S yesterday. People are buying these left and right. If I went with EV, I most likely would consider a Tesla. Hopefully by then the front will change/grow on me too.
Old 09-30-22, 11:18 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 516 Likes on 352 Posts

I placed a model y performance order, about 4-5 months ago. Came about 68 plus tags taxes etc. now they are at 70k plus I think.
well the time came to pick it up, had the financing secured etc/ bought car charger at home and the travel charger which they don’t include.
2 days before pick up I cancelled, lost the 500$ deposit plus money I already spent on things mentioned above.

i was thinking of retiring my 2013 rx350 with 195k miles on it. Tesla gave me a rap offer on the rx which turned me off anyways I figured I will sell it or just keep it. So which car should I get rid off, gsf? No I like the gsf a lot better. Lx570? Same as I use it for cross country trips. So no.

back to rx350 which is at almost 200k with no issues looks and runs like brand new and I was thinking if the model y can go 100k maybe it’s a keeper. But I usually don’t drive speed limit, am faster not aggressive just 10-20 mph faster than posted. Here we have long highways and straight back roads with no traffic. The range of model y would probably be 210ish in my way of driving. My friend who has a model s, had 31 small concerns addressed in the first year he owned the car. That was a huge con..

I hate the model y looks, it’s like out of a Pixar cars movie. Dimensions are like an egg. That didn’t help either. I figured only electric car I really like is the Porsche. So when they get around 300 mile range will get it.
The question I would ask you is, the ride of any Model Y, especially the Performance version, will be far harsher than your RX; is that acceptable? Our Model 3 will jerk your fillings out as compared to our GS or RX.
The Taycans are beautiful; I see them running around here quite a bit. But 300 mile range? Bring a lunch. Here's one we saw in downtown Palo Alto. Wifey cooed, "Ooh, is this ours?"
Old 09-30-22, 11:46 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

they have improved quite a bit and they keep doing so every year, I dont think they are near the lexus quality yet; their interior is very dull. The model y was surprisingly comfortable to drive, It has alot of usable space inside. I was also hoping they would be offering the new battery in the model y; seems like they just using less battery and keeping the same range.
absolutely love the Taycan sports truismo GTS