EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Model Y Performance Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-22, 08:48 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Model Y Performance Review

So as I continue my search for potential replacement for our X3 M40i, the Model Y Performance seemed to be like a good candidate.

My local Tesla store had one available to test drive. I was able to spend a good 40min taking it on some back roads, local streets and highway.

Exterior Styling
- I like the rear and side of the car. The Perf model comes with bigger wheels, brakes and Carbon Fiber lip spoiler.
- The front styling is very bland and goofy. Without a grill its just missing something and not a fan of headlights design.
- I didn’t spend much time looking over panel fit/finish.

Interior (thoughts based on $70k price)
- Hate the cold modern design with no physical controls
- Cheap materials everywhere (the sun visors felt like cardboard!)
​​​​​​- Seats are ok but have limited adjustments
- No shade for panoramic roof (Tesla rep said you can buy one)
- Lack of proper gauges in front is a huge issue, i had to look over so many times to see speed, music etc. its unsafe imo
- The video quality from cameras is not great, should definitely be higher definition.
- User Interface is very responsive and basically acts like an iPad.
- No options for colors, trims, Luxury features, real leather etc

Driving Dynamics
​​​​​​- The car was in all Sport settings for Acceleration, Steering etc
- Its very fast especially when you are already in motion and then press the throttle. ​​Off the line acceleration was great as well. Its faster than my M40i but I wasn’t blown away buy it.
- The driving inputs are very good with direct steering and good road manners. It feels very solid going through backroads.
- Seems well built with no rattles on broken pavement. Soaks up bumps and rides better than X3.
- The model Y was limited to 85mph which i hit on a straight away, the BMW definitely has better high speed stability and at high speeds you start to feel the weight of the Model Y.
- Overall it is VERY Fun to drive but not sure if its as good as my current car. The engine/exhaust sound add that additional emotional element that is missing on EVs.

Range
- So when I started the test drive it had 90% charge and when I returned it, it was at 81% in 40 min and maybe 20-25 miles. How is that possible?! I didn’t expect it to use that much juice lol

Looking to test drive Mach E next to see how the Ford compares.

So far i think the Tesla hype and cool factor is why ppl are buying these things. I really see no reason at all why I would get one over my current X3 M40i.

I didn’t take pics but this is the exact one i drove in Blue color

Last edited by RNM GS3; 09-26-22 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-26-22, 09:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks, RNM........Good review, but I think you are probably going to like the Mach-E more when you sample it.

But, even so, considering electric vehicles in general, the fact that you used up almost 10% of the charge in only 20 miles or so indicates why some folks still don't want BEVs.
Old 09-26-22, 09:25 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

This is a good, quick review. Other than the S, they are so ugly. Like you, I just can't get over the lack of grill.
Old 09-26-22, 09:50 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

The range is easy to explain, with the P100D I borrowed I wiped out 150 miles range in 25 or so miles.....
Old 09-26-22, 10:07 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

We have a long range on order but pretty much agree with you 100% on your observations. Good luck finding a dealer willing to give you a test drive in a Mach E, the ones near me wanted me to agree to a purchase price before I could test drive the car or even see it. Screw them, I'd rather walk than give those local Ford dealerships my money. Tho, maybe the environment has changed enough for them to be less snooty nowadays.
Old 09-26-22, 10:15 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I've always found this design silly and Disney-like. Goofy, bulbous greenhouse and overall styling. Hope it works out for you.

Old 09-26-22, 11:32 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Re: range - 9% at 20-25 miles means around 220-270 miles for 100% charge. Sounds about right for the real world range of the MYP, based on all the reviews and tests out there. Tesla's very optimistic 303 mile range is only reachable under certain ideal conditions.

Surprised that you would find the ride in the Y more compliant than the X3. By all accounts, the MYP is especially stiff.

Great review.
Old 09-27-22, 04:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I've always found this design silly and Disney-like. Goofy, bulbous greenhouse and overall styling. Hope it works out for you.
the y design is literally a vertically stretched model 3, including 'stilt' rails under the seats.

agree with op that it's not bad looking outside unless you look at it from the front where it looks goofy.

we all know there are fans of the interior 'minimalism' and as long as tesla can sell all they can make they don't care about criticism but i believe at some point they'll either have to lower the price or make the interior a nicer place to be. the 3/y interiors are something i'd expect on a nissan versa, not a $66K cuv. not saying they're comparable, but the versa is less than 1/3 the price and to me the interior is nicer!

Old 09-27-22, 07:59 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, RNM........Good review, but I think you are probably going to like the Mach-E more when you sample it.

But, even so, considering electric vehicles in general, the fact that you used up almost 10% of the charge in only 20 miles or so indicates why some folks still don't want BEVs.
Ye i was very surprised and this was with Max brake regeneration setting.

Originally Posted by SC300Es
This is a good, quick review. Other than the S, they are so ugly. Like you, I just can't get over the lack of grill.
Thanks - agree new Model S looks nice and interior is much better besides the dumb steering wheel.

Originally Posted by Striker223
The range is easy to explain, with the P100D I borrowed I wiped out 150 miles range in 25 or so miles.....
Basically you need to drive these cars like a grandma and make sure you don’t go too far. I travel to NJ for work quite a bit and these are 2hr trips each way depending on traffic, so definitely would be close to depleting battery in 1 day.

Originally Posted by kolokmee

Surprised that you would find the ride in the Y more compliant than the X3. By all accounts, the MYP is especially stiff.

Great review.
My X3 M40i has a fixed sports suspension and runflat tires so the ride is very stiff. The new ones come with adjustable suspension on the M40i.
My car and Model Y both have staggered tires with 275 width in the back so they are comparable. I think at very high speeds is where BMW still has advantage otherwise the Model Y was very impressive in terms of ride/handling.
Old 09-27-22, 08:12 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

I've never driven a Tesla before. I sat inside at the malls but that was it. Haven't had enough interest to test drive it. Thanks for the review. It's good to know/confirm a few things/hypes. I too think the grill-less is odd. I remember when I was looking at the new S and just said, "oh they got rid of the grill." The rep replied arrogantly, "you know it's an electric car. It doesn't need one." End of conversation. Did you check out the X5? I think you will like it. I had a spanking new X3 as a loaner. I think X3 owners would like X5. Almost same but a step higher. The most noticeable for me is the quality/material used inside. I think you will most likely like 45e. Air suspension comes standard. You can get 23 for MSRP no issue now.
Old 09-27-22, 08:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Great, honest feedback. Nice job on the review.
Old 09-27-22, 08:05 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

The problem I have with the 3/Y performance models isn’t that the power tails of around 100mph (although I really don’t like that either) it’s that it only produces most of its power only when it’s fully charged. A MYP owner I talked to said how slow the car was when it’s charge is low to the point where he said a civic would be faster. I’m sure he was exaggerating but it still didn’t make me feel great about that. With the Plaid at least you almost always have full power most of the time and it has to be insanely low to notice the difference.
Old 09-28-22, 06:03 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Have 3 friends with Mach E's. All 3 are having issues and not overly thrilled. One is a buddy I've had for almost 30 years - he has always been the "go against the crowd guy" - he would never buy a Tesla simply because so many other people own them. His Mach E is a year old and is currently in the shop for 30+ days getting the battery swapped out. He's had multiple other issues and said "I probably should've bought the Tesla" - that's a big statement from him.

FWIW, he has a loaner Polestar and is absolutely loving that. Maybe give that a whirl as well.
Old 09-28-22, 06:40 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Have 3 friends with Mach E's. All 3 are having issues and not overly thrilled. One is a buddy I've had for almost 30 years - he has always been the "go against the crowd guy" - he would never buy a Tesla simply because so many other people own them. His Mach E is a year old and is currently in the shop for 30+ days getting the battery swapped out. He's had multiple other issues and said "I probably should've bought the Tesla" - that's a big statement from him.

FWIW, he has a loaner Polestar and is absolutely loving that. Maybe give that a whirl as well.
I can understand that. If I were still living in Los Angeles, I probably would not have gotten a Tesla due to how many there are literally *everywhere* but now that I live in the Midwest, Teslas are such a rarity out here. Ours gets so many stares and so much attention, it's nuts. We get back in the car and find Sentry footage of people doing full walkarounds and checking it out.

I've never had a car that got so much positive attention from people so I'm enjoying driving the "cool" car after my GS. No one ever noticed my GS 🥲
Old 09-28-22, 07:22 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great review. Miles range is a huge concern. You will be surprised how it really decreases with driving even slightest uphill, facing wind, or more or less extremal outside temperatures. As far as BMW - try its adaptive suspension. It's just awesome, it amazes me every time I drive our new X5

Quick Reply: Model Y Performance Review