EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Motortrend: Rivian R1S blows away Lexus LX600

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-22, 01:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
TThe Escalade and Grand Wagoneer are bigger, have worse ride quality, but have better overall body control.
Can't agree with this. I have not driven these three vehicles, but reviews would not lead me to believe that those vehicles have worse ride quality than an LX600. The Suburban I had as a rental in FL rode better than the LX570.
Old 10-17-22, 01:53 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Can't agree with this. I have not driven these three vehicles, but reviews would not lead me to believe that those vehicles have worse ride quality than an LX600. The Suburban I had as a rental in FL rode better than the LX570.
Was your Suburban a top trim model with the bigger wheels? I have a found that overall ride quality is great on the aforementioned vehicles, but for whatever reason the suspension tuning can't make up for smaller impacts coming through the 22" wheels which ends up causing shudders to come through the cabin. The Navigator is the worst about this, in this latest Escalade it is minimized. I just didn't notice it at all in my brief experience in the LX600.

That being said, the Escalade ride/handling combo is exemplary. GM can do a chassis tune.
Old 10-17-22, 02:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Was your Suburban a top trim model with the bigger wheels? I have a found that overall ride quality is great on the aforementioned vehicles, but for whatever reason the suspension tuning can't make up for smaller impacts coming through the 22" wheels which ends up causing shudders to come through the cabin. The Navigator is the worst about this, in this latest Escalade it is minimized. I just didn't notice it at all in my brief experience in the LX600.

That being said, the Escalade ride/handling combo is exemplary. GM can do a chassis tune.
It didn't have the bigger wheels, but the LX has big wheels too. An Escalade with mangaride is going to ride better than an LX600, or at least as well. I would bet the farm on it. Navigator doesn't ride especially well IMO.
Old 10-18-22, 08:57 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I rented a suburban for 2 weeks and it more body roll than the LX570, it drove much worse almost like a big boat. I was very uncomfortable driving it anything faster than 70, it didnt feel planted, the brakes were soft and mushy, more road noise inside the cabin. It was more pleasant in absorbing the irregularities on the road and space wise its not even comparable since its massive but kids didnt like it any better than the LX..I have driven LXs for years. only big SUVs that impressed me driving dynamics was the X7/GLS. heard the range rovers are good to but didnt get a chance but nothing American is impressive.
Old 10-18-22, 09:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UZ214
I rented a suburban for 2 weeks and it more body roll than the LX570, it drove much worse almost like a big boat. I was very uncomfortable driving it anything faster than 70, it didnt feel planted, the brakes were soft and mushy, more road noise inside the cabin. It was more pleasant in absorbing the irregularities on the road and space wise its not even comparable since its massive but kids didnt like it any better than the LX..I have driven LXs for years. only big SUVs that impressed me driving dynamics was the X7/GLS. heard the range rovers are good to but didnt get a chance but nothing American is impressive.
What year Suburban was it? The new platform Suburban is much better than the previous generations. Its obviously a huge ponderous vehicle, but the LX570 always felt the same way to me and is much smaller. Escalades have magnetic ride control and don't suffer from as much body roll/body movement. I was surprised by how much I liked driving that Suburban.

These American BOF SUVs are very different than something like an X7 or GLS, if you tow, etc then they have capability you just don't get out of those vehicles. Personally, the only reason I would choose one over something like an X7/GLS/Range Rover is if I towed on a regular basis.
Old 10-18-22, 02:33 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

that was couple of years ago so I think it wasn't the newest one out there. I was on board on getting a new navigator or expedition max but seeing couple of used one (1 or 2 yrs old) I was surprised how fast the wears and tears show up. I have heard good things about the magnetic suspension . Yes I tow a light trailer sometimes.
What year Suburban was it? The new platform Suburban is much better than the previous generations. Its obviously a huge ponderous vehicle, but the LX570 always felt the same way to me and is much smaller. Escalades have magnetic ride control and don't suffer from as much body roll/body movement. I was surprised by how much I liked driving that Suburban.

These American BOF SUVs are very different than something like an X7 or GLS, if you tow, etc then they have capability you just don't get out of those vehicles. Personally, the only reason I would choose one over something like an X7/GLS/Range Rover is if I towed on a regular basis.
Old 10-18-22, 02:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UZ214
that was couple of years ago so I think it wasn't the newest one out there. I was on board on getting a new navigator or expedition max but seeing couple of used one (1 or 2 yrs old) I was surprised how fast the wears and tears show up. I have heard good things about the magnetic suspension . Yes I tow a light trailer sometimes.
The previous version Suburban/Tahoe etc was everything you described, but the new platform is a dramatic improvement.
Old 10-19-22, 08:04 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

It is worth noting that for occasional towers the Mercedes GLS is rated to tow 7700lbs.
Old 10-19-22, 08:52 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 749 Likes on 519 Posts

So is the R1S
Old 10-19-22, 08:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It is worth noting that for occasional towers the Mercedes GLS is rated to tow 7700lbs.
Sure, but its not going to tow as confidently as something with a real frame, if you tow a lot especially when the vehicle is fully laden, BOF is the way to go.
Old 10-19-22, 02:12 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Lol it can't be disputed that for towing you can't beat the USA, no way, nada, zip.

That's what so many American trucks do. Tow. Like how foreign desert runners drive those crazy 4x4 capable things with snorkels. I'm all for towing tech and what GM and Ford offer are pretty freakin' neat. GM Supercruise while towing, I could tow my boat from New York to LA hands and pedal free. That friends is the future, we're in it.
Old 10-19-22, 02:16 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I will point out that I brought up the GLS' capacity rating as being useful for occasional towers. No doubt the BOF Americans do it best in general, which would be chiefly important for those that tow on a regular basis. I was never disputing that.
Old 10-19-22, 02:22 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I will point out that I brought up the GLS' capacity rating as being useful for occasional towers. No doubt the BOF Americans do it best in general, which would be chiefly important for those that tow on a regular basis. I was never disputing that.
Oh sure, I'm sure it's a decent tow vehicle. Most vehicles are these days because they're overpowered. Towing a regular average boat with one of the big boys or nevertheless powerful BOF, you barely can tell it's back there.

Last edited by AJT123; 10-19-22 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-20-22, 09:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its not even just the power, its the difference between how a BOF vehicle feels when its towing vs a unibody vehicle. Like AJT said, you dont feel the trailer back there where with a unibody vehicle you do
Old 10-20-22, 12:59 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Its not even just the power, its the difference between how a BOF vehicle feels when its towing vs a unibody vehicle. Like AJT said, you dont feel the trailer back there where with a unibody vehicle you do
Power is a big part though. All these trucks are fast (relatively). But yes we are on same page.

Old Yukon tows great, has enough power but not overwhelming. The LX with 100 more hp is a massive difference. Not exaggerating when I say she is still strong as hell when towing the 4,000lb boat, plennnnty of power to haul *** away from a light.. I would never advise it but you could still drive quite like a manic acceleration-wise with the powerful fast trucks.

Quick Reply: Motortrend: Rivian R1S blows away Lexus LX600