EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Motortrend: Rivian R1S blows away Lexus LX600

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-22, 01:21 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

When I tow my travel trailer (especially my new one as it's quite a bit bigger and heavier), the Tundra's V8 definitely puts out a roar with the added load. I cannot imagine how weird it must be to tow with an electric like a Lightning or a Rivian and have silent acceleration while towing. My mind would be blown!
Old 10-20-22, 01:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
When I tow my travel trailer (especially my new one as it's quite a bit bigger and heavier), the Tundra's V8 definitely puts out a roar with the added load. !
So you are saying when the vehicle is loaded, the engine is louder in the Tundra?
Old 10-20-22, 01:54 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So you are saying when the vehicle is loaded, the engine is louder in the Tundra?
Absolutely. The engine is working harder, so the RPMs are higher and upshifts are delayed. It really holds on to the gears. 65mph in 4th gear is not uncommon with the load.

Old 10-20-22, 02:01 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Yes. With the 5.7 is loaded or when you really step on it (basically when the engine is called on to work) the purr turns into a deep, burbly rumble. Very intoxicating. I love this engine more and more still and I’ve had the truck like 20 months.
Old 10-20-22, 02:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Absolutely. The engine is working harder, so the RPMs are higher and upshifts are delayed. It really holds on to the gears. 65mph in 4th gear is not uncommon with the load.

ok makes sense. Do you drive it hard when loaded? Higher rpm’s are gonna be loud. But you’ve got a lot of low end toque. I’ve towed 5000lbs in the years past with my 4R V8, not load at all in the low end. But never really went to high rpm where the max is 4800. It’s more like a slow burn with mine as my V8 doesn’t have a lot of HP. Definitely needed premium fuel in mine when we used to tow.
Old 10-20-22, 02:34 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

ok makes sense. Do you drive it hard when loaded? Higher rpm’s are gonna be loud. But you’ve got a lot of low end toque. I’ve towed 5000lbs in the years past with my 4R V8, not load at all in the low end. But never really went to high rpm where the max is 4800. It’s more like a slow burn with mine as my V8 doesn’t have a lot of HP. Definitely needed premium fuel in mine when we used to tow.
No, I take it easy and just loaf along. The 5.7 does a good job settling down on the freeway (though it's loud on on-ramps), but around town, with stop lights and such where it's constant stopping and starting, I do push it enough to not be a hindrance to other drivers.
Old 10-20-22, 04:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

A lot of that has to do with the LX being a much more rigid frame and the body being better isolated from the frame.
Old 10-20-22, 04:28 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
A lot of that has to do with the LX being a much more rigid frame and the body being better isolated from the frame.
I know there are better tow vehicles but I've been alive and boating for 35 years, LX seriously impressed me towing just an average load a family might tow. Beat my expectations and I'm a picky ****.

I don't know what JDR meant, the engine is never loud enough to be a hindrance to other drivers unless he means driving too fast. LX exhaust at least as quiet as any other truck, probably quieter lol. Tundras without exhausts are quiet.
Old 10-20-22, 05:27 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 977 Likes on 779 Posts

Hi JDR76,
That's a good looking set up you have there.

I like the truck and the camper.

Last edited by Margate330; 10-20-22 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-20-22, 06:57 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hi JDR76,

Thank you!!!
Old 10-20-22, 07:10 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Looks great.

It amuses me how there are boat people and camper people.

Nothing against camping but it never crossed my mind when it came to buying toys and enjoying outdoors. I guess I’m just a water person.
Old 10-20-22, 07:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

No, I take it easy and just loaf along. The 5.7 does a good job settling down on the freeway (though it's loud on on-ramps), but around town, with stop lights and such where it's constant stopping and starting, I do push it enough to not be a hindrance to other drivers.
I would try to keep that truck as long as you can. Last of the Toyota V8s. Never to be had again. My 4.7 is still the best powertrwin I’ve ever had…now in its 19th year. My V6 just doesn’t cut it the same

Hi JDR76,

Yeah. Nice set up

Originally Posted by AJT123
Looks great.

It amuses me how there are boat people and camper people.

Nothing against camping but it never crossed my mind when it came to buying toys and enjoying outdoors. I guess I’m just a water person.
We were just up at Algonquin Park. Can’t believe how many trailers for camping there was. Almost exclusively body on frame pick up trucks. No body on frame SUVs towing. There were a lot of crossovers with small trailers as well. Lots of Tundras
Old 10-20-22, 08:50 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 977 Likes on 779 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

"...Toyota's new 3.4-liter twin-turbo V-6 (also found in the Sequoia, Tundra, and global Land Cruiser), which produces a healthy 409 hp and 479 lb-ft of torque, up 26 ponies and 76 lb-ft from the tired 5.7-liter V-8 in the previous-gen LX570.
Nice comparison review by Bitkahuna!
In my opinion this engine is overblown with way too much HP per liter.
It will not go the distance.

Under 100 HP a liter is best IMO for longevity and as always DISPLACEMENT ALWAYS WINS IN MY BOOK~!

"... The combined all-wheel-drive system is good for an eye-watering 835 hp and 908 lb-ft of torque. ...It zipped from 0 to 60 mph in just 3.1 seconds and through the quarter mile in 11.6 seconds at 111.2 mph, while the LX trailed behind at 6.1 seconds to 60 mph and 14.5 seconds for the quarter at 95.9 mph.
The rivian looks like a beast!
The LX has respectable numbers too and will be the better vehicle for towing on the interstate.

We went into this luxury mall-crawler comparison test thinking that it'd be a close match. Yet things didn't play out that way.
Someone wake this guy up and tell him to stop calling these mall crawlers, loosing credibility BIG TIME.
(not Bitkahuna, the person writing the article). lol

all the fans of the old school suv's (lx/gx) need to wake up... it's over.
Fingers in my ears, blah, blah, blah, I'm not ready for EV yet.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Lexus has long earned a reputation for quiet refinement, but the LX600 doesn't measure up. Fire up its V-6 and slip the transmission into drive, and the whole vehicle rocks like a horse straining at its lead, while the engine vibrates the rear seats noticeably at idle. The experience doesn't improve drastically from there. Although it smooths out once it gets moving, the Lexus' powertrain is lazy and unresponsive.

Ouch.
Not exactly what peeps want to hear. A screaming turbo 6 cylinder pushing a heavy SUV, what they expect. lol

Originally Posted by Vladi
But I cannot agree that interior of that Rivian has anything on LX unless you are a fan of giant screens. It's typical Tesla bs interior.
For a $100K I'd expect better too.
Old 10-21-22, 01:57 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

We were just up at Algonquin Park. Can’t believe how many trailers for camping there was. Almost exclusively body on frame pick up trucks. No body on frame SUVs towing. There were a lot of crossovers with small trailers as well. Lots of Tundras
Oh yeah, with the mountains here camping is huuuuuggge and there are tons of them. Campers are pretty cool, I prefer boats, but with boats you are constrained to waterways unlike campers where you can go anywhere.

And yes, at the boat ramps also it's always 95% BOF trucks towing the boats. Occasionally a crossover but mostly people use those for jet skis. I would have no issue with using/buying a competent crossover to tow jet skis.
Old 10-21-22, 09:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Someone wake this guy up and tell him to stop calling these mall crawlers, loosing credibility BIG TIME.
Thats 100% what they are...

Quick Reply: Motortrend: Rivian R1S blows away Lexus LX600