EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Motortrend: Rivian R1S blows away Lexus LX600

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-22, 06:49 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
when you have 800+hp, weight isn't a issue.
Shorter range, affects towing (for people that does it), extra wear and tear on the suspension and brakes, needs bigger motors which means bigger heavy batteries. It is all a vicious cycle. Imagine having to pay to replace that giant battery?
Old 10-05-22, 06:51 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I just came off a week driving a Suburban with the big 6.2L V8. More than once I thought how incredible a vehicle it would be it it was electric. The 14 gallons of gas to travel 75 miles didn’t help either. But the V8 sounds amazing, but it’s lethargic and heavy…

Yep, ouch.
The overall unrefined nature of the LX...hopefully it is just a 1st or 2nd yr production issue.
Old 10-05-22, 07:00 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
The overall unrefined nature of the LX...hopefully it is just a 1st or 2nd yr production issue.
I hope it's at least super quiet inside.
Old 10-05-22, 07:29 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

I drove the last model year of the previous generation LX (LX570 I believe) and hated the driving experience. It may be great off-road but was terrible on-road. I thought it was an awful car and thought the new gen around the corner would fix all the issues I had with it. That didn’t happen and the new gen LX600 sounds like it’s even worse? I don’t like the new direction they went with the interior, powertrain, and typical Lexus trims where you have to choose between features and can never just have it all.

If comparing the LX to other ICE SUVs, I would take the GLS, Escalade, X7, pretty much anything else over the LX.

When compared to the EV R1S which can actually off-road on the same level (actually probably better), I would take the R1S without question.

I am not surprised to hear the R1S blew it away in every way. I would seriously consider an R1S. I really like the R1T and we’ve been needing a truck lately. If they didn’t have a 1 year+ wait, I’d have probably ordered one already.
Old 10-05-22, 11:48 AM
Lead Lap

Received 789 Likes on 536 Posts

Haven’t heard any refinement issues with the lx500d
Old 10-05-22, 07:52 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah! No clue why the Hemi takes premium…
Theres two versions of the 6.4 Hemi for trucks/SUV. Grand Wagoneer/SRT Durango/Grand Cherokee version (470 hp 455 torque) has 10.9 compression ratio. 6.4 in the ram 2500 instead has 410 hp 429 torque, 10.0 CR and needs midgrade 89. The 6.2 V8s in GM has 11.5 CR and require premium.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 10-05-22 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-06-22, 05:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Theres two versions of the 6.4 Hemi for trucks/SUV. Grand Wagoneer/SRT Durango/Grand Cherokee version (470 hp 455 torque) has 10.9 compression ratio. 6.4 in the ram 2500 instead has 410 hp 429 torque, 10.0 CR and needs midgrade 89. The 6.2 V8s in GM has 11.5 CR and require premium.
At GM though the 5.2 takes regular...they should tune those engines to take regular, huge cost difference given how much gas they consume.
Old 10-06-22, 07:25 AM
1111GS

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

I just came off a week driving a Suburban with the big 6.2L V8. More than once I thought how incredible a vehicle it would be it it was electric. The 14 gallons of gas to travel 75 miles didn’t help either. But the V8 sounds amazing, but it’s lethargic and heavy…
Oh yeah the V8 sounds great but that's probably it and maybe for those that need heavy towing. This is the only thing I miss from my GX. We were sitting in the patio area of this restaurant. There was this new defender next to us. The owner was leaving so I was expecting a loud muscular start up. He went it, started. I was like... "what? That's it?" I checked to find out it's an I6 not 8. And it wasn't as expensive as I thought either. Lol
You know you would not need an EV if mpg were your issue. Many I6 turbo are wonderful as you know. I think Lexus knows and was the main reason why they switched to this new engine. Having driven it though it's nothing special, more less like a GLE I4 turbo. I personally think though LX is a better choice. Not sure why but this R1S, and any of their models, just doesn't do it for me. Did they get the design idea from that cartoon? Can't remember the name now.
Old 10-06-22, 03:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Oh yeah the V8 sounds great but that's probably it and maybe for those that need heavy towing. This is the only thing I miss from my GX. We were sitting in the patio area of this restaurant. There was this new defender next to us. The owner was leaving so I was expecting a loud muscular start up. He went it, started. I was like... "what? That's it?" I checked to find out it's an I6 not 8.
See, everyone? It ain't just me.

The movies don't even like it, not that I give two flips about Hollywood. They even dubbed the old classic V8 Mercedes starter whir into a new E300 in some movie I watched, in a scene where there was no reason for dubbing. I like starting up a V8 no matter what it is.
Old 10-06-22, 06:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

At GM though the 5.2 takes regular...they should tune those engines to take regular, huge cost difference given how much gas they consume.
The 14 gallons of gas to travel 75 miles didn’t help either.

Not that the tax itself would make very much difference on an 80-90K vehicle, but probably the only reason that some versions of the Suburban escape the Federal Gas Guzzler Tax is that they are trucks, not passenger cars.
Old 10-07-22, 05:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not that the tax itself would make very much difference on an 80-90K vehicle, but probably the only reason that some versions of the Suburban escape the Federal Gas Guzzler Tax is that they are trucks, not passenger cars.
they may be based on trucks but they're not trucks of course. just another stupid law passed by bribed politicians, who if they were really green, wouldn't want to exempt giant gas guzzling suv's on the road.

Old 10-07-22, 07:08 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

LX drives like a truck, almost same as 4runner, tundra, sequoia, GX but ride is much better, this is not a mall crawler which GLS/ X7 and pretty much every other suv on the market it. I have a die heart lexus fan drove the LX and he didnt like and we ended up buying the X7 which I suggested and found the dealer and deal couple of years back. we drove the x7/LX back to back. But X7 does not fit in my needs...but it was prefect for him. he rarely goes outside a road, had better road manner and was class leading MPG. which Lx does not do well. But the X7 40ihad a turbo 6, which is similar in the new lx.

They have as good off-road capability as the new Toyota Sienna. yes I get it a small number of people buy and like the LX and I am one of them and I use it the way its needed to be used. The newer engines are all going towards smaller displacement/hybrids etc which is I dont like but with MPG in mind that's how the market is.
R1S is pretty impressive they thought of alot of things, but so was Frisker let's see how it pans out next couple of years. Right now even the price of R1s1 is up in the air and wait is more than a year out.

Originally Posted by signdetres
I drove the last model year of the previous generation LX (LX570 I believe) and hated the driving experience. It may be great off-road but was terrible on-road. I thought it was an awful car and thought the new gen around the corner would fix all the issues I had with it. That didn’t happen and the new gen LX600 sounds like it’s even worse? I don’t like the new direction they went with the interior, powertrain, and typical Lexus trims where you have to choose between features and can never just have it all.

If comparing the LX to other ICE SUVs, I would take the GLS, Escalade, X7, pretty much anything else over the LX.

When compared to the EV R1S which can actually off-road on the same level (actually probably better), I would take the R1S without question.

I am not surprised to hear the R1S blew it away in every way. I would seriously consider an R1S. I really like the R1T and we’ve been needing a truck lately. If they didn’t have a 1 year+ wait, I’d have probably ordered one already.

Last edited by UZ214; 10-07-22 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-07-22, 08:05 AM
1111GS

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
LX drives like a truck, almost same as 4runner, tundra, sequoia, GX but ride is much better, this is not a mall crawler which GLS/ X7 and pretty much every other suv on the market it. I have a die heart lexus fan drove the LX and he didnt like and we ended up buying the X7 which I suggested and found the dealer and deal couple of years back. we drive the x7/LX back to back. But X7 does not fit in my needs.
There you have it. One the other hand I haven't known a family that uses the LX like "the way it's needed to be used." And I wonder what the way it's needed to built for is. I see similar types drivers, mostly female, just like other expensive full size SUVs. I do agree with you on one count though. Some just love the LX. Three families I know, all wives (petite size) drive the LX and they love it. They have more than one gen too. And they use it to take the kids to school and practices and family long trips.

Originally Posted by AJT123
But that's not a must to have for me though. If everything is the same/similar, I would take that no problem. Say... I don't mind having an X5M over a 40i. Lol.
Old 10-07-22, 09:20 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
R1S is pretty impressive they thought of alot of things, but so was Frisker let's see how it pans out next couple of years. Right now even the price of R1s1 is up in the air and wait is more than a year out.
Nah, Fisker Karma was basically a dud. Other than being attractive it sucked at everything else. I can say I did get to see one in person at least.
I have no idea what will happen with Rivian, but I saw an R1T for the first time this week and it looks pretty nice. The weird front has grown on me and it's got a novelty factor that has worn off for Tesla.
Originally Posted by 1111GS
There you have it. One the other hand I haven't known a family that uses the LX like "the way it's needed to be used." And I wonder what the way it's needed to built for is. I see similar types drivers, mostly female, just like other expensive full size SUVs. I do agree with you on one count though. Some just love the LX. Three families I know, all wives (petite size) drive the LX and they love it. They have more than one gen too. And they use it to take the kids to school and practices and family long trips.
I think a lot of people buy 7+ seat SUVs, especially luxury ones, as an alternative to a minivan. I'm guilty of this to some extent. My wife had to drive the GL for a few months and actually came away liking it. I almost got her to switch cars with me.
Old 10-07-22, 10:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

The movies don't even like it, not that I give two flips about Hollywood. They even dubbed the old classic V8 Mercedes starter whir into a new E300 in some movie I watched, in a scene where there was no reason for dubbing. I like starting up a V8 no matter what it is.
Don't why anyone would want a V6 or I6 over a V8 ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Motortrend: Rivian R1S blows away Lexus LX600