EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Motortrend: Rivian R1S blows away Lexus LX600

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-22, 01:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
how does a new RX or NX have a faster 0-60 time than the flagship? by like more than 1.5 seconds.
do you mean why is rx/nx faster than lx?

i'd say physics is the answer... the lx600 is 1500-2000lbs heavier.
Old 10-09-22, 09:04 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Gotta save the earth. Only 12 years left, and that was starting in 2019.
People can't even bother figuring out what does/doesn't go in their recycling can (our township did an audit, and found dirty diapers among many other things), trying to rally them to buy a Rivian to "save the earth" is going to be an uphill battle....
Old 10-09-22, 09:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
People can't even bother figuring out what does/doesn't go in their recycling can (our township did an audit, and found dirty diapers among many other things), trying to rally them to buy a Rivian to "save the earth" is going to be an uphill battle....
Notice nobody who markets EVs, especially luxury EVs markets them with an environmental message.
Old 10-09-22, 09:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Notice nobody who markets EVs, especially luxury EVs markets them with an environmental message.
yes and while the momentum is to shut down as much fossil fuel supply as possible (and we see how well that's going and the consequences), there's also momentum to try to leverage lithium deposits in the u.s., but that involves mining on a VAST scale. and people think coal mining is ugly...
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/3...icas-backyard/

Old 10-09-22, 09:22 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

No, the TV/MSM does that.
Old 10-09-22, 09:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
No, the TV/MSM does that.
But carmakers don't, because they know thats not why consumers buy EVs. All the people I know who have EVs, only one bought it because of an environmental mindset...and he has a Leaf. All the rest of them bought them because they were cool, or because they didnt want to have to buy gas. Its the same with hybrids, and a focus on fuel economy in vehicles, its a drive to save money not save the environment.
Old 10-09-22, 09:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Toyota does. Beyond Zero. The future is net zero emissions

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yes and while the momentum is to shut down as much fossil fuel supply as possible (and we see how well that's going and the consequences), there's also momentum to try to leverage lithium deposits in the u.s., but that involves mining on a VAST scale. and people think coal mining is ugly...
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/3...icas-backyard/
Although I do not agree with all the green initiatives. ​​​​​​​The future is not fossil fuel supply. I truly wish, the governments would relent, on pushing green policies. But that is not gonna happen.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-09-22 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-09-22, 10:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota does. Beyond Zero. The future is net zero emissions
Toyota does not currently market or sell EVs...
Old 10-09-22, 10:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota does not currently market or sell EVs...
‘yes they do. bZ4X is now in 2nd model year (us got it late). Mirai is a EV

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-09-22 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-09-22, 10:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

‘yes they do. bZ4X is now in 2nd model year (us got it late). Mirai is a EV
Not at all at the same level. Wait and see, the messaging will be different, especially in the luxury space with Lexus. The primary motivation of most EV buyers isn't environmentalism, if it were you would see that as the marketing message and you don't.
Old 10-09-22, 11:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

An old horribly polluting cobalt mine, the only one in the u.s. Has just reopened. Promoted as a win for ev production

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/08/11273...des-is-opening
Old 10-09-22, 11:07 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 663 Likes on 414 Posts

EVs sell because people like some combination of coolness, performance, technology, innovation and the environment, with the specific proportions differing but in my experience the people I know who bought one did so for mainly the first four criteria and not the latter. In the case of Toyota, their EV cars don't score well in any of the first four categories so pretty much all they have left to base their marketing on is the environment. I know when I bought my Gen 1 Mirai (which was, by the way, excellent) I did so because it got me into the HOV lanes here as a solo driver and it basically didn't cost me anything.

In the case of the R1S and the LX600, the reality is these won't be cross-shopped much so the comparison between them is moot IMO. If you're the kind of person who finds the LX appealing, you're not going to be the kind of person who would drop 100K on a car from a startup company that's only been around for a short while. And conversely, if you are excited by the R1S, chances are it is because it scores highly for the coolness/performance/tech/innovation factor whereas the LX doesn't, Doesn't mean the LX isn't a solid choice, but it appeals to one class of buyer and the R1S appeals to another IMO. Very few seriously considering one would seriously consider the other,
Old 10-09-22, 11:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
An old horribly polluting cobalt mine, the only one in the u.s. Has just reopened. Promoted as a win for ev production

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/08/11273...des-is-opening

The cobalt from the Idaho mine will be shipped to a refinery Jervois is refurbishing in São Paulo, Brazil, to be processed
From the article ​​​​​​​
Old 10-09-22, 05:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

From the article
right and they're sending it to brazil because there's nowhere in the u.s. to process it and it's too expensive to build a new refining plant.

from the article - including what you left out

The cobalt from the Idaho mine will be shipped to a refinery Jervois is refurbishing in São Paulo, Brazil, to be processed. The company projects an initial seven-year run. That makes building a U.S. refinery too costly for now, but company officials are eying new federal funds aimed at boosting domestic mineral production that might help extend the mine's life cycle.
Old 10-10-22, 08:09 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
EVs sell because people like some combination of coolness, performance, technology, innovation and the environment, with the specific proportions differing but in my experience the people I know who bought one did so for mainly the first four criteria and not the latter. In the case of Toyota, their EV cars don't score well in any of the first four categories so pretty much all they have left to base their marketing on is the environment. I know when I bought my Gen 1 Mirai (which was, by the way, excellent) I did so because it got me into the HOV lanes here as a solo driver and it basically didn't cost me anything.

In the case of the R1S and the LX600, the reality is these won't be cross-shopped much so the comparison between them is moot IMO. If you're the kind of person who finds the LX appealing, you're not going to be the kind of person who would drop 100K on a car from a startup company that's only been around for a short while. And conversely, if you are excited by the R1S, chances are it is because it scores highly for the coolness/performance/tech/innovation factor whereas the LX doesn't, Doesn't mean the LX isn't a solid choice, but it appeals to one class of buyer and the R1S appeals to another IMO. Very few seriously considering one would seriously consider the other,
Sounds about right. At least these two have are similar sized and can do/offer similar things. You know some compare trucks to luxury SUVs/sedans.
Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
and yet the X7 and S class still lost to a Ram
https://www.boston.com/cars/car-revi...p-luxury-spot/
Not at all at the same level. Wait and see, the messaging will be different, especially in the luxury space with Lexus. The primary motivation of most EV buyers isn't environmentalism, if it were you would see that as the marketing message and you don't.
Definitely but they will say they do care. Just look at what these folks, who buy Tesla, do for a living. The answer is obvious.

Quick Reply: Motortrend: Rivian R1S blows away Lexus LX600