EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Motortrend: Rivian R1S blows away Lexus LX600

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-22, 05:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Definitely but they will say they do care. Just look at what these folks, who buy Tesla, do for a living. The answer is obvious.
Nobody I know who has one says they care. I know lots of people with them, Doctors, Lawyers, Realtors, Lenders, people in management at my company and other companies, there are two houses on my street who have Teslas (and only Teslas) neither cares about environmentalism...

I'm heavily considering a Tesla next time and environmentalism has nothing to do with it at all. All the people here who have them, I haven't heard any environmentalism in anything they have posted about them at all.
Old 10-11-22, 05:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Nobody I know who has one says they care. I know lots of people with them, Doctors, Lawyers, Realtors, Lenders, people in management at my company and other companies, there are two houses on my street who have Teslas (and only Teslas) neither cares about environmentalism...

I'm heavily considering a Tesla next time and environmentalism has nothing to do with it at all. All the people here who have them, I haven't heard any environmentalism in anything they have posted about them at all.

Some people who get EVs may be doing so simply from public or peer-pressure, or just because it's the fashionable thing to do these days, even among those who secretly are not concerned about the environment. It's one thing to try and Keep up with the Jones's....quite another when the Jones's expect you to keep up with them.
Old 10-11-22, 06:48 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 663 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some people who get EVs may be doing so simply from public or peer-pressure, or just because it's the fashionable thing to do these days, even among those who secretly are not concerned about the environment. It's one thing to try and Keep up with the Jones's....quite another when the Jones's expect you to keep up with them.
Or, perhaps, maybe we should consider the possibility that people are buying EV's mostly because they like them?
Old 10-11-22, 08:17 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Or, perhaps, maybe we should consider the possibility that people are buying EV's mostly because they like them?
I believe that you are on to something. I agree.
Old 10-11-22, 10:52 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 286 Likes on 203 Posts

I bought an EV just to try it out. My prior car’s lease wasn’t up at the time but I got a little antsy for a new car and I heard so many good things about EVs I figured I would try one out and if I didn’t like it I could just sell it. Although I do my part to try to be somewhat green the environment had zero to do with my purchase and neither did any societal pressures.

Now that I’ve lived with an EV for the past 10 months I can honestly say that for a daily driver I love it and will have a hard time going back to ICE even with all of the issues (and there are several) with my car. For a road trip/vacation with my family I’m definitely not there yet. I don’t want to plan my trip around charging unless it’s the same time and availability like a gas station. I’m just not willing to be inconvenienced with that.
Old 10-11-22, 12:53 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Maybe I mis-wrote the message. No I don't think they buy it for the environment either. The dude that "smoked" me at the light with his EQS580 is everything but environmentalism. Someone I know very well cares for this planet and is very picky about recycling and what goes where. She's also a fan of good will donation. So I think she's qualified but she has a Toyota hybrid. The idea about getting a Tesla has been circling in my head too. The reason for me is for the price range I'm comfortable with, I think I will have difficulty getting a replacement. So maybe end up with a Tesla.
Old 10-11-22, 05:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames

Of course that's the case with some people. I'm not suggesting or stating otherwise. But peer pressure DOES seem to be a factor in a lot of purchases.
Old 10-11-22, 06:50 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 286 Likes on 203 Posts

Of course that's the case with some people. I'm not suggesting or stating otherwise. But peer pressure DOES seem to be a factor in a lot of purchases.
If you buy a $50-$60k car due to peer pressure, you have other issues…
Old 10-12-22, 02:05 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Eh, every single Rivian has been recalled. I get why it won this test but I really doubt these two will be cross shopped.
Old 10-12-22, 06:36 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 370 Likes on 255 Posts

I couldn't believe my eyes but I actually saw a Rivian R1S driving around last night in my community. I passed it running a quick errand and then ironically passed it again while on my way back home. At first as it was driving towards me I just assumed it was the R1T, but as it was passing me I looked from the side and realized it was the SUV. I had no idea they were being delivered yet - and I have a friend who put a deposit down a long time ago and he's being told end of 2023 for his to be potentially delivered.

It looked great - in pictures it kinda reminds me of the Grand Wagoneer but in person and the quick glimpses I got it actually looked better proportioned than I anticipated. This one was a very dark grey - I am sure I'll see it again and will snap some pics.
Old 10-12-22, 08:38 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Eh, every single Rivian has been recalled. I get why it won this test but I really doubt these two will be cross shopped.
That's less than 13k vehicles with Rivian thinking only 1% of those are actually affected. AND they plan to fix them within 30 days. It's not like Lexus is immune to recalls anyways.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, every LX600 has been recalled. You can call them even. https://www.carscoops.com/2022/04/to...control-issue/
Old 10-12-22, 03:45 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
That's less than 13k vehicles with Rivian thinking only 1% of those are actually affected. AND they plan to fix them within 30 days. It's not like Lexus is immune to recalls anyways.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, every LX600 has been recalled. You can call them even. https://www.carscoops.com/2022/04/to...control-issue/
I would trust by far overall reliability and quality of the LX, (whether we like the 300 series or not, it's still an overbuilt tank ready for action) over a brand that's been out 2 years.
Old 10-13-22, 01:38 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I have said this multiple times, I have put more then 600k miles c on my LXs that I have owned and never had a single issue. Which is insane to think about. I am so spoiled with this experience. I take these LXs everywhere, just came from a trip to Ohio over weekend, kids dont want to fly.
Originally Posted by AJT123
I would trust by far overall reliability and quality of the LX, (whether we like the 300 series or not, it's still an overbuilt tank ready for action) over a brand that's been out 2 years.
Old 10-13-22, 02:17 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I doubt any LX600 sales will be lost to Rivian.

Escalade, Range Rover, Navigator would be more relevant.

Also i would not be taking a Rivian camping or to the dessert etc like I would trust the LX to get me out remote destination.
Old 10-13-22, 02:49 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UZ214
I have said this multiple times, I have put more than hey 600k miles c on my LXs that I have owned and never had a single issue. Which is insane to think about. I am so spoiled with this experience. I take these LXs everywhere, just came from a trip to Ohio over weekend, kids dont want to fly.
They are “once you drive it you won’t want anything else” vehicles, that’s for sure (if you like trucks at least). It’s hard to describe. We want another 200.

Quick Reply: Motortrend: Rivian R1S blows away Lexus LX600