EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Brother in law's 2023 Tesla Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-22, 07:47 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I know lots of Model 3 and Y owners who love the interior layout of the car. It’s not for me, but you assume people “accept things” you don’t like, when in reality they just like something you don’t like. Who wants 0-60 in 3.1 seconds? Anybody who has ever driven a car that fast. If people didn’t want that, performance wouldn’t be dramatically improving like it is.

I applaud Tesla for designing their own look. Look at the impact it’s had on the industry. You see Teslas influence in interior design throughout the industry.

As for him not wanting to keep the car for 10 years because stuff 5 years from now will be so much better. I feel that way about cars now, that’s why I lease.
I find myself typically agreeing with your posts and I feel you were accurate in this one, as well. There are some things I'd change about the interior (give the glovebox a button), but generally speaking, I like the modern/minimal interior and prefer it to the more traditional layouts in my other cars. A lot of the automotive space tends to follow trends, but it's nice to have some deviation and alternatives, for those who want it. Also, it's the easiest interior I've ever had to clean or maintain.

Also, while it makes for headlines, too many focus on pure 0-60 in EVs, when it's not the entire story. I get that it's an easy metric to point to on paper, but the benefit of the performance (and traction) on a street driven car is really about the torque from 0 rpm, which adds a lot of drivability. When I load up the car (literally, the front, sub, and main trunks), and pack four adults, the car remains plenty drivable and easy to move out of its own way, especially from a dead stop or slow speeds. With much of the weight still between the axles and low down, it maintains a relatively balanced drive, once you don't overload the tires. Even with a comparatively powerful car (at a specific RPM), the drivability isn't there, because of how power is delivered.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
AMIRZA786 great write up. You did make one error regarding Info screen use. I rarely use it. Voice commands baby!
"Set the temp to 72." "My butt is cold." "Passenger's butt is hot." "Open glovebox." "Blow me." "Play Paul Butterfield." "Navigate to 1701 page Mill Road." (That's Theranos, FYI...)
I actually don't use the voice commands, much. Most of my settings are in memory and simply adjust as I get into the car; the rest I leave on auto. Once moving, I actually use the steering wheel buttons more than anything on the display (usually related to music/volume control and autopilot).

Originally Posted by Striker223
My issue with the 3 is when you push it it has low limits and not much feed back/extremely boring to drive and constant interventions."

Any thoughts on the brakes? I found them overheated after 3 100+ to 30-40 ish stops on the M3P I drove. I wish they offered real brakes on these but similar to sticky tires that kills range and only the S has room for that.
I'm not sure where you were driving the M3P, but I suppose it would depend on a range of factors. I take mine to autox, where I'm in track mode, and the limits are definitely not low. I've done 360s in the car after getting ahead of myself, but in standard setting, I can floor it at full lock in the rain, and barely slip. You can also dial in the front to rear bias to suit your taste and turn it into a full drift machine, if you don't care about grip. Feedback is fine, for me; some of the other drivers prefer the standard instead of sport setting, but it's entirely subjective. I've owned cars with more and less feedback, but I adjust.

As to the brakes, it depends on the type of driving...they're brembo hardware, so they're pretty good. For dedicated track duty, I'd go with higher temp fluid, discs, and pads...but for autox and even spirited daily driving, they're fine. For me, it's no different than most other cars, in that you build the braking system (and tires) to the type of driving you do. Also, keep in mind that EVs typically try to find a balance between tires for grip vs range, and so if I'm building a more track-focused car, I'm definitely installing wider setups. One of the guys I catch when running, drives on a square 285 (or 295) setup, which is less practical for daily duty, but amazing through corners and braking. A prepped car is something to be experienced.

Originally Posted by patgilm
I personally don’t see anyone stealing a Tesla wall charger or parking in your driveway stealing your electricity. Could it happen and has it happened, I’m sure it has, but I bet it’s so rare that most people aren’t worrying about it. I’d be more worried about someone stealing my car or the catalytic converter which is happening more and more around me than this.
Not only that, but it's a bit of its own deterrent. A level 2, while "fast", will still take some hours to charge...and as time factors into most theft of this type, few people are going to sit in someone's driveway for hours, in order to save on a few bucks worth of electricity. I'm sure there are crazy exceptions, but in general, it's too impractical.
Old 11-29-22, 07:54 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My house has outlets outside that aren't locked, they can steal my energy already lol. Hose bibs with free water too.
Are your bibs on a separate loop at the inside manifold? I have 3 loops at my house, one for the actual house, one for the 4 external bibs, and one for the in ground irrigation system and I can easily just flip a valve when I leave or at night to disable the exterior bibs.
Old 11-29-22, 08:05 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Hasn't happened yet since EVs are usually only owned by the richer people in society so far. Give it time
Tesla chargers only work for Tesla's, as they use a different connector. And a Tesla owner is not going to buy a second hand one that's been ripped off the wall lol. Same with a non Tesla EV owner. In the next 5 or 10 years when there are way more EV'S on the road, there will be free Level 2 chargers in parking spots everywhere like Europe. Stealing home chargers is a useless endeavor, which is why they are not targets, like say catalytic converters
Old 11-29-22, 09:15 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Lets Drive
Not only that, but it's a bit of its own deterrent. A level 2, while "fast", will still take some hours to charge...and as time factors into most theft of this type, few people are going to sit in someone's driveway for hours, in order to save on a few bucks worth of electricity. I'm sure there are crazy exceptions, but in general, it's too impractical.
I usually wait until my Polestar gets down to near 30 percent before I charge, and it usually takes at least 7 hours to get to 90 percent. I can't imagine someone sitting in your driveway 1 or 2 hours stealing a charge. As far as stealing a home charger, there is absolutely no benefit in it, unless I'm missing something