EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Brother in law's 2023 Tesla Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-22, 08:46 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hi amirza, no real leather surprises me.
Just curious what the out the door price was on these if you know or was it a lease?
He bought it, my brother in law (this one at least) never leases. He keeps his cars 10 years or more before replacing them. It was $50,690, but with tax and license it probably comes close to $60K Out the door, but there is a $10K tax write off he will take when he does taxes. Not sure how that works, his tax preparer will figure that one out.

Faux leather, or sometimes called Pleather has become very common. I test drove a 2021 Lexus IS350, and they use the faux leather. I prefer it as all you have to do is clean it, no need to use leather conditioner. My 2010 IS350 had leather seats, I had to treat the leather twice a year, and it still wrinkled up and showed signs of wear.

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-23-22 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-23-22, 09:08 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Actually @patgilm I thought about it, and I think the Polestar has a better dash layout than the Model 3:

Also a better steering wheel as well. But the Model 3 has better seats, and is little roomier, especially in the back seat area. The Model 3 takes "Simplicity" to the extreme, but it's not a bad thing, and it's not a deal breaker for me
Old 11-23-22, 10:07 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 394 Likes on 268 Posts

I doubt he will keep this car 10 years. Why? Because in 10 years, the battery pack will be half the weight, 50% more range, and 50% faster charging time. When you buy an ICE car, it's already a mature product. When you buy a current EV, the technology for it will improve significantly in years to come which will make a current owners EV, near obsolete in 10 years (less really). Sure, the car will run for 10 years, but the resale value of it 10 years from now will crater - if it has any resale value 10 years from now at all, except for recycling it. As soon as you see the next generation battery packs on the horizon, sell it ASAP.

How many buyers want 0-60 in 3.1 in this segment (or any segment except sports cars)? Who really needs that? OK the dual motor extends the battery pack size, but that's about it. Single motor was a smart choice.

That Polestar dash is indeed better, Tesla can get away with their current dash because again, their buyers will accept anything. Over time, my guess is that Tesla will have to add a HUD to their cars to project some center gauge cluster items.
Old 11-23-22, 10:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
... the number of EV's being purchased is outpacing conventional cars
source to support that? i didn't think that was true (yet).
Old 11-23-22, 10:16 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Actually @patgilm I thought about it, and I think the Polestar has a better dash layout than the Model 3:

Also a better steering wheel as well. But the Model 3 has better seats, and is little roomier, especially in the back seat area. The Model 3 takes "Simplicity" to the extreme, but it's not a bad thing, and it's not a deal breaker for me
I like the look of the Polestar’s dash. Model 3 isn’t bad but it looks a little plain. I also don’t mind opening the glovebox function on the screen because I don’t open it much. It really only gets annoying when basic functions you use everyday you have to click through more than one window to get to. For example, when I am picking someone up sometimes my cars door won’t unlock automatically and I have to click the screen twice to unlock the doors vs just hitting a physical button on the door.

As for the fake leather seats, I really like them just like in my old IS. They are very easy to maintain and comfortable. Are they as plush as real leather, no, but they are really good at everything else.
Old 11-23-22, 10:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I know lots of Model 3 and Y owners who love the interior layout of the car. It’s not for me, but you assume people “accept things” you don’t like, when in reality they just like something you don’t like. Who wants 0-60 in 3.1 seconds? Anybody who has ever driven a car that fast. If people didn’t want that, performance wouldn’t be dramatically improving like it is.

I applaud Tesla for designing their own look. Look at the impact it’s had on the industry. You see Teslas influence in interior design throughout the industry.

As for him not wanting to keep the car for 10 years because stuff 5 years from now will be so much better. I feel that way about cars now, that’s why I lease.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-23-22 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-23-22, 10:43 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
source to support that? i didn't think that was true (yet).
Thank you for catching that. What I meant to say (or what I should have said) is EV registrations overall from 2021 have gone up by at least 50 percent and EV's are fastest growing segment of the auto market

I apologize, I don't know why I wrote that, I'll make the correction. Thanks again for catching that...sometimes I get way ahead of myself
Old 11-23-22, 10:53 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
I doubt he will keep this car 10 years. Why? Because in 10 years, the battery pack will be half the weight, 50% more range, and 50% faster charging time. When you buy an ICE car, it's already a mature product. When you buy a current EV, the technology for it will improve significantly in years to come which will make a current owners EV, near obsolete in 10 years (less really). Sure, the car will run for 10 years, but the resale value of it 10 years from now will crater - if it has any resale value 10 years from now at all, except for recycling it. As soon as you see the next generation battery packs on the horizon, sell it ASAP.

How many buyers want 0-60 in 3.1 in this segment (or any segment except sports cars)? Who really needs that? OK the dual motor extends the battery pack size, but that's about it. Single motor was a smart choice.

That Polestar dash is indeed better, Tesla can get away with their current dash because again, their buyers will accept anything. Over time, my guess is that Tesla will have to add a HUD to their cars to project some center gauge cluster items.
You are making assumptions about people you don't know. You have no idea if my brother in law is going to keep it for 10 years or not, I've known him over 25 years so I can make those assumptions. As for performance, I plan to return our 2020 Ioniq EV when it's lease ends next year, give my wife my Polestar and buy a Model 3 Performance because I want the longer range, I travel frequently to SoCal so I want the better Tesla charging infrastructure, and I want to go from zero to 60 in 3.1 seconds. And I plan to buy it and keep it at least 10 years. I have friends that already are over 150K and there are many that have reached 200K with only 10 to 15 percent battery degradation
Old 11-23-22, 11:07 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
I like the look of the Polestar’s dash. Model 3 isn’t bad but it looks a little plain. I also don’t mind opening the glovebox function on the screen because I don’t open it much. It really only gets annoying when basic functions you use everyday you have to click through more than one window to get to. For example, when I am picking someone up sometimes my cars door won’t unlock automatically and I have to click the screen twice to unlock the doors vs just hitting a physical button on the door.

As for the fake leather seats, I really like them just like in my old IS. They are very easy to maintain and comfortable. Are they as plush as real leather, no, but they are really good at everything else.
Those are the few annoying things about Tesla, but most Tesla owners don't mind and those are easy to get used. Moving to the Polestar, there were also a few things I find annoying, like sometimes Google maps will start acting crazy, and once the heat wouldn't go on. A reboot of the infotainment screen fixes it. Polestar says they will fix this in their next OTA update.

I prefer the fake leather seats, easy to take care of and clean, more durable, and most people don't even know it's fake!
Old 11-23-22, 11:22 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tomorrow at a Thanksgiving family get together I will have access to my Brother in laws Model 3 for most of the day, I'll be able to take it out for an extended drive as we will be in a rural area with lots of open roads near Sacramento, CA. I'm going to brush aside any biases I may have and layout any and all pros and cons. If there are any build or quality issues, deficiencies, they will all be listed in my review.

While I was at the Tesla showroom, I checked out the Model X they had displayed. I believe this is the Tri-motor 1,020 HP Plaid beast

Seats in this are very comfortable. I like everything about this SUV except that damn yoke. Why Elon, why??
Old 11-23-22, 01:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

If I ever got one the Yoke would be gone. There are several aftermarket solutions now.
Old 11-23-22, 01:34 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Overpriced for what you get, but the buyers are convinced they are saving the planet - so they will pay any amount for these cars. Smart move to get the single motor car, it really does the same thing as the dual motor and saves some $$$s. Musk is in the catbird seat when it comes to EVs, the other manufacturers are going to take a bath on them unless they can get the government to ban the sale of ICE cars, which is already underway of course in many states.
I actually feel like the model 3 is a steal at less than 50K, and with the tax credit coming back, it is the best EV on the market that you can get for 43K. I was looking at the KIA Niro at 48K, Audi Q4 Etron at +55K. Granted those have more traditional interiors and better build quality but nobody can match the Tesla's range and efficiency.
Old 11-23-22, 02:16 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
I actually feel like the model 3 is a steal at less than 50K, and with the tax credit coming back, it is the best EV on the market that you can get for 43K. I was looking at the KIA Niro at 48K, Audi Q4 Etron at +55K. Granted those have more traditional interiors and better build quality but nobody can match the Tesla's range and efficiency.
It's the best EV, period IMO. I absolutely love my Polestar, but in hindsight I wish I had bought a Model 3, as I travel frequently between NorCal and SoCal to visit family, and Electrify America (which I only use when I travel) comes nowhere near the Tesla charging infrastructure. In critical travel corridors between SF and LA, Electrify America only has 6 Fast charging stations in Harris Ranch, 9 in Kettleman City, 3 in Lost Hills, and 4 in Bakersfield (8 near the 99 side), and usually half of them are offline! While on that same travel corridor, Tesla has 18 at Harris Ranch and are building 150 more, 55 in Kettleman City, 36 in Buttonwillow, 20 in Bakersfield, 56 in Arvin...I could go on and on.

The other way I look at it is the cost savings in "fueling" an EV. My 2010 IS350 which was fully paid off (it was nearly $40K new OTD, a 2023 starts at $45K) costed me $80 a week to fuel in good times, which is $320 a month, which excludes maint. And that's only my commute. My Polestar costs about $30 a month in electricity, and my Lease payment is $520 a month. Subtract $320 and add $30 for electricity, and that's $230 a month for a brand new car. If I decide to buy out my Polestar at the end of it's lease (which I am considering), Out the door including tax and license it's around $53K. Not bad for a 408 hp car that gets about 100 MPGe and needs virtually no maint, and has an 8 year/100K powertrain and battery warranty.

My brother in law BTW paid nearly $40K OTD for his last car, a 2016 Avalon Hybrid (XLE), and looking at other new cars, he sees his Model 3 as a bargain

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-23-22 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-23-22, 02:31 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If I ever got one the Yoke would be gone. There are several aftermarket solutions now.
Model X is way, way out of my price range. Even if Elon himself put a normal steering wheel on it
Old 11-23-22, 02:40 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

I like the yoke, I think you would need to try it before you dismiss it entirely. Now if I could just get normal turn signal stalks and a stalk like the Model 3 to put it in forward or reverse it would be near perfect. The swiping to put it in forward or reverse can be dangerous sometimes when the swipe doesn’t register and you think it did. I would even forgive the dumb horn button because I haven’t really had to use it much.

Quick Reply: Brother in law's 2023 Tesla Model 3