EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Brother in law's 2023 Tesla Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-22, 07:13 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

I have to disagree with getting used to the screen and it being better with everything in the screen. Sure it looks cleaner but after living with mine for a year it still isn’t great but isn’t too bad but can be very annoying. I know I have said this before but as a example, the software in my car isn’t great and sometimes the telescoping steering wheel doesn’t move into my saved position and is pushed closest to the dash. To move it I have to go to two different menus to adjust and then two menus to get out of it. That’s four touches of the screen vs one of there was a stalk for it. There is no way that could be faster on a screen than a stalk no matter how fast you are.

I do agree with you that the Model 3 is way better sorted out than the S and the fit and finish is way better from my experience.
Old 11-25-22, 07:27 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

Lemme go over the few natural language commands I posted earlier. You don't need to use the touch screen. Just press the right steering wheel button and say ....
Set the temp to 72, I'm hot, I'm cold - Climate control
My butt is cold - seat heater (3 letter version works as well)
Passenger's butt is hot - passenger seat
Open glovebox
Blow me - Direct air flow to face
Play Paul Butterfield - Music streaming.

From Tesla:
  • "Make it cooler"
  • "Make it warmer"
  • "Turn on/off the driver's seat heater"
  • "Cool down the passenger"
  • "Direct airflow to my face"
  • "Sync climate"
  • "Increase/decrease the fan speed"
  • "Turn on/off rear defroster"
  • "Set the temperature/fan..."
  • "Turn on recirculate"
Old 11-25-22, 08:09 PM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786

It is pretty funny than on the Monroney sticker, Tesla still lists the base price of the Model 3 as $35,000. Tesla has not offered the base model for sale for over two years now.
Old 11-25-22, 08:14 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I have to disagree with getting used to the screen and it being better with everything in the screen. Sure it looks cleaner but after living with mine for a year it still isn’t great but isn’t too bad but can be very annoying. I know I have said this before but as a example, the software in my car isn’t great and sometimes the telescoping steering wheel doesn’t move into my saved position and is pushed closest to the dash. To move it I have to go to two different menus to adjust and then two menus to get out of it. That’s four touches of the screen vs one of there was a stalk for it. There is no way that could be faster on a screen than a stalk no matter how fast you are.

I do agree with you that the Model 3 is way better sorted out than the S and the fit and finish is way better from my experience.
So far from my perspective using the screen seems to be intuitive on the model 3. I think you're Plaid has a lot more features than the model 3, also Tesla seems to be giving model 3 and Y more attention
Old 11-26-22, 12:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

samples back and forth on ev charging vs gas filling up...

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I charge at home with electricity from solar panels; I spend far less time fueling than any ICE vehicle. I have to drive 12 miles each way to Costco to get decent gas prices.
That's inconvient.
Originally Posted by Bob04
I've never stopped at a gas station for 20-25 minutes unless my previous stop was at Taco Bell.
can we please, please, please stop with the same posts over and over and over about this. jeff, yes we know you have solar panels, good for you, and charging at home is free or near free or whatever, and convenient for you. your situation is more common in california than anywhere else.

bob, et al, if you haven't owned an EV you really have nothing valid to say. if you got one, you'd adjust your routines. obviously millions of people now have.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
AFAIK you're stuck with white, blue, silver red and black no matter where you live.
i've seen tons of gray model 3s too.
Old 11-26-22, 05:22 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
bob, et al, if you haven't owned an EV you really have nothing valid to say. if you got one, you'd adjust your routines. obviously millions of people now have.
Unless you somehow started living my life and I didn't know it, it's you that really has nothing valid to say. You aren't the arbitrator of valid opinions. Knowing my own life and having access to tons of resources about how EVs work, including the experience of a several friends, I absolutely can have something valid to say about them.

Last edited by Bob04; 11-26-22 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-26-22, 07:48 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

[QUOTE=bitkahuna;11399745]samples back and forth on ev charging vs gas filling up...

can we please, please, please stop with the same posts over and over and over about this. jeff, yes we know you have solar panels, good for you, and charging at home is free or near free or whatever, and convenient for you. your situation is more common in california than anywhere else./QUOTE]

Apologies for any offense anyone takes from my posts. This is not my intension.
My "at home charging" posts are in response to posts about charging stop inconveniences. My use case is absolutely different than most. Without solar, my charging costs would be far higher, but my inconvenience would still be low.
You have to experience starting each day with a full tank; it is pretty great.
Perspective buyers ask me about the Tesla; my 1st questions are, "How are you gonna charge?" "What is your use case?" The #1 reason owners go from EV back to ICE is charging issues.
These cars are not for everyone. If I could not charge at home I would not own an EV. If I was long tripping a lot, an EV might not be a good choice.
Every EV owner I know also has an ICE car. I sure do. They both have their pluses and minuses.

There are extremes at each end. No doubt. All good.
Old 11-26-22, 08:10 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Apologies for any offense anyone takes from my posts. This is not my intension.
My "at home charging" posts are in response to posts about charging stop inconveniences. My use case is absolutely different than most. Without solar, my charging costs would be far higher, but my inconvenience would still be low.
You have to experience starting each day with a full tank; it is pretty great.
Perspective buyers ask me about the Tesla; my 1st questions are, "How are you gonna charge?" "What is your use case?" The #1 reason owners go from EV back to ICE is charging issues.
These cars are not for everyone. If I could not charge at home I would not own an EV. If I was long tripping a lot, an EV might not be a good choice.
Every EV owner I know also has an ICE car. I sure do. They both have their pluses and minuses.

There are extremes at each end. No doubt. All good.
I agree 100% with everything you said. I don’t have solar but it is still cheaper than gas. It probably saves me around 50-60% of my weekly cost but mainly because I like to use sentry/dash cam and that kills the battery a fair amount.
Old 11-26-22, 08:10 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Your overview is kinda what I expected, the turn in and control is better than your car since it uses a double a-arm with a multilink lower pair. Works much better but is subject to far more wear over time.

My issue with the 3 is when you push it it has low limits and not much feed back/extremely boring to drive and constant interventions. Plus it's way too cut down inside but that's key for keeping costs as low as possible. Less trim and controls outside of the screen mean you can kill off 1000s on parts per car and divert the money to areas like the suspension and keeping the car "cheap"

Any thoughts on the brakes? I found them overheated after 3 100+ to 30-40 ish stops on the M3P I drove. I wish they offered real brakes on these but similar to sticky tires that kills range and only the S has room for that.

It's expensive to have any of these though, solar for just one house in our family cost $78k in parts and based on quotes I got before deciding to do it myself were all around 180k and if you add a car that's 60-90k on top of that it would have taken 35 years to break even lol! That was never our goal with solar though but the math just never worked out in our case to to power demands. It's cheap enough to just pay the normal bills for gas and utilities, only reason we even entertained this was a generator was going to be 50k installed in the first place and would still be reliant on external factors.

Last edited by Striker223; 11-26-22 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-26-22, 08:52 AM
PrimeDave
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
I've never stopped at a gas station for 20-25 minutes unless my previous stop was at Taco Bell.
I know right......this thread is hilarious
Old 11-26-22, 10:39 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Yesterday I spent a few hours with my brother in law's new Model 3, a full write up on it will be coming soon

So he put/left the plastic on because he let you drive or because he plans to keep it on?
Old 11-26-22, 10:40 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I'm more picky. There are two new colours out of Berlin, I'd love to get the Midnight Cherry, Silver also looks great
Saw this the other day and took a pic for ya'll.
New Tesla color, get BLOWN away... (that's was a joke)

AMIRZA786 great write up. You did make one error regarding Info screen use. I rarely use it. Voice commands baby!
"Set the temp to 72." "My butt is cold." "Passenger's butt is hot." "Open glovebox." "Blow me." "Play Paul Butterfield." "Navigate to 1701 page Mill Road." (That's Theranos, FYI...)
So sounds ok but just give me my buttons and switches.
No swiping, talking, gesturing, or twerking. lolol

Old 11-26-22, 10:53 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
So he put/left the plastic on because he let you drive or because he plans to keep it on?
LOL he's in that "I don't want to get my new cars seats dirty" phase so he hasn't removed the plastic seat covers yet, but he will. I think he ordered the Weathertec mat set, not sure if he also ordered seat covers. It's funny, but it annoys me at the same time that he hasn't removed the plastic
Old 11-26-22, 11:21 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by Margate330
So sounds ok but just give me my buttons and switches.
No swiping, talking, gesturing, or twerking. lolol
It's kinda funny... I let friends take a spin in our Model 3 with its polarizing minimalist design. This car is different and meant to be so.
I love seeing the various reactions. People of a certain vintage hate the loss of buttons and the touchscreen. Younger drivers take to the car naturally.

I can also tell you, especially during the 2018 2019 Model 3 sales explosion, you would see frustrated drivers at the side of the road attempting to figure out how the heck to manipulate the tablet interface.

Just my observation.
Old 11-26-22, 11:24 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

It's kinda funny... I let friends take a spin in our Model 3 with its polarizing minimalist design. This car is different and meant to be so.
I love seeing the various reactions. People of a certain vintage hate the loss of buttons and the touchscreen. Younger drivers take to the car naturally.

I can also tell you, especially during the 2018 2019 Model 3 sales explosion, you would see frustrated drivers at the side of the road attempting to figure out how the heck to manipulate the tablet interface.

Just my observation.
For sure. lol
Cuz that would be me trying to pop the trunk and stuff shouting obscenities lol
While everyone laughing.

Quick Reply: Brother in law's 2023 Tesla Model 3