EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Brother in law's 2023 Tesla Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-22 | 07:40 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Default Brother in law's 2023 Tesla Model 3

Today my brother in law picked up his 2023 Tesla Model 3 RWD, and he asked me to come along (he needed a ride). I've been around a lot of Tesla's and Tesla owners, but I've never been to the Fremont Tesla Showroom/Factory. Let me just say a couple of things. It's HUMUNGUS. I don't know how else to describe it. 370 acres, with 22,000 employees. Thousands upon thousands of Tesla's, and every one of those sold, either customers coming to pick them up, or they are getting ready to be loaded on trucks to be delivered all over the country or world. The second thing I want to mention is the ease of buying a Tesla. Since my brother in law lives in Fremont 10 minutes away they required him to come pick it up. Once the loan has been processed, down payment and all paperwork completed (all 100 percent done online) and the car is ready, you walk into the showroom, they add the car to the Tesla phone apps profile, then you just walk up to the car, pair the car with the app (including a guest keycard), inspect the car, and drive it away. That easy! We did a full inspection, and there were no issues. I didn't get a chance to drive it yet, but I did spend about 40 minutes with it, sitting in all the seats, checking doors, windows etc. Over the weekend I will be driving it, doing a full review of it, and I will list all of it's pro's and con's. Since I've known my brother in law for 25 years and we are very close, I will have full access to this car!

Old 11-22-22 | 08:07 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Looks nice, rare to see a base model like that. Be sure to tell us how it stacks up vs your car
Old 11-22-22 | 08:16 PM
RXSF

"base" models aren't rare anymore because there are no packages to add on the 3 besides the self driving tech. They stopped making the long range until recently, so a lot offer just the rwd standard range models. Plus, there is no point in getting the full self driving package for 15K, since you can subscription it for $200/month. the break even is >6 years which most people dont even hold their cars for that long.

Why didn't your brother in law wait until January 31 to take delivery in order to re-qualify for the tax credit? (assuming he meets the income requirement)
Old 11-22-22 | 08:23 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
"base" models aren't rare anymore because there are no packages to add on the 3 besides the self driving tech. They stopped making the long range until recently, so a lot offer just the rwd standard range models. Plus, there is no point in getting the full self driving package for 15K, since you can subscription it for $200/month. the break even is >6 years which most people dont even hold their cars for that long.

Why didn't your brother in law wait until January 31 to take delivery in order to re-qualify for the tax credit? (assuming he meets the income requirement)
​​​​​​ The reason is he doesn't meet the income requirements. But there is some write-off he can take on his tax return. Not sure how much that is
Old 11-22-22 | 08:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Looks nice, rare to see a base model like that. Be sure to tell us how it stacks up vs your car
​​​​See @RXSF 's post. Since he has the RWD model, it only has 271 HP. He wasn't looking for performance, strictly utility. What it has over the Polestar is better interior, better tech, and a hell of a better charging infrastructure. Another thing I can say is there is nothing cheap about it's build quality or materials used. It's built as well as a Camry. I went over it from end to end. But I will have more time with it over the thanks giving weekend, after that I can give a final verdict
Old 11-22-22 | 08:56 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Love the white interior. I strongly suggest doing a ceramic coating on the seats even though the white Tesla interior does hold up well from what I've seen.
Old 11-22-22 | 09:40 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Love the white interior. I strongly suggest doing a ceramic coating on the seats even though the white Tesla interior does hold up well from what I've seen.
He likes light color seats. I personally would have gotten the black interior. He doesn't really care if they get dirty, for him a car is just a way to get from A to B.

I got off the phone with him about an hour ago to ask him how it drives, and he told me amazing, buttery smooth. The closest he's ever driven to an electric car is his Avalon hybrid. Can't wait to get my hands on it so I can get a good feel for it!
Old 11-23-22 | 03:42 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
​​​​See @RXSF 's post. Since he has the RWD model, it only has 271 HP. He wasn't looking for performance, strictly utility. What it has over the Polestar is better interior, better tech, and a hell of a better charging infrastructure. Another thing I can say is there is nothing cheap about it's build quality or materials used. It's built as well as a Camry. I went over it from end to end. But I will have more time with it over the thanks giving weekend, after that I can give a final verdict
I’m surprised to hear that it has a better interior than the Polestar. I would’ve thought the Polestar would have a better interior given how plain the Model 3 interior is and the fact that there is no gauge cluster.
Old 11-23-22 | 05:10 AM
Doctj
Intermediate

Interior a good as Camry is going a little too far I think but you’re the one seeing it not me. Looking forward to your results.

🍿
Old 11-23-22 | 07:03 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Overpriced for what you get, but the buyers are convinced they are saving the planet - so they will pay any amount for these cars. Smart move to get the single motor car, it really does the same thing as the dual motor and saves some $$$s. Musk is in the catbird seat when it comes to EVs, the other manufacturers are going to take a bath on them unless they can get the government to ban the sale of ICE cars, which is already underway of course in many states.
Old 11-23-22 | 07:35 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Overpriced for what you get, but the buyers are convinced they are saving the planet - so they will pay any amount for these cars. Smart move to get the single motor car, it really does the same thing as the dual motor and saves some $$$s. Musk is in the catbird seat when it comes to EVs, the other manufacturers are going to take a bath on them unless they can get the government to ban the sale of ICE cars, which is already underway of course in many states.
Please keep the uninformed statements coming. When all the EV'S in the world disappear, and you actually have the data to backup your conspiracies, we'll talk

The dual motors bring the HP up to almost 600 hp, and the acceleration goes from 0-60 in 5.5 seconds to 3.1 seconds, nearly cutting it in half. For a lot of people that's not that important, but the dual motors also gives you more battery, thus giving you better range (272 miles with the single motor and 315 with the dual motors).

I don't mean to talk harsh with you, but you need to face reality, and that is that EV's are not going away, but are going to replace conventional gasoline engines, and the last three years of data proves that. There is nothing that is going to reverse that course, nothing. The investments have been made already, EV registrations are doubling YoY for some manufacturers, any automaker that drags their feet and falls behind, I feel bad for them, because the market surely won't. Just like I wouldn't go back to my Blackberry after owning a modern smartphone, I have no intention of buying another gasoline vehicle

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-23-22 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-23-22 | 07:39 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Doctj
Interior a good as Camry is going a little too far I think but you’re the one seeing it not me. Looking forward to your results.

🍿
I've owned three Camrys since 1999 and still have one in my driveway. Camrys have slightly better seats, but interior build is just as good. But I need to spend more time in it before I can make any final statements, this is only my initial impression
Old 11-23-22 | 07:45 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
I’m surprised to hear that it has a better interior than the Polestar. I would’ve thought the Polestar would have a better interior given how plain the Model 3 interior is and the fact that there is no gauge cluster.
Better seats and materials than the Polestar. I like the faux leather which is well made. I don't like that it lacks a gauge cluster, nor the fact that you have to pop open the glove box in the infotainment screen, but I could live with it. When I drove my friends Model 3 performance, I got used to it quickly. Also backseats are roomier

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-23-22 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-23-22 | 08:20 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Come on, you can do better than this you missed a whole bunch of NPC negative Tesla points.
Originally Posted by Doctj

🍿
Reality vs. internet outrage machine.
Old 11-23-22 | 08:29 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Better seats and materials than the Polestar. I like the faux leather which is well made. I don't like that it lacks a gauge cluster, nor the fact that you have to pop open the glove box in the infotainment screen, but I could live with it. When I drove my friends Model 3 performance, I got used to it quickly. Also backseats are roomier
Hi amirza, no real leather surprises me.
Just curious what the out the door price was on these if you know or was it a lease?

Quick Reply: Brother in law's 2023 Tesla Model 3