EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Polestar Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-23 | 07:24 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,073 Likes on 2,584 Posts

It's all about latency. Electric motor driven by solid state electronics vs. air, fuel, spark, pistons move, crank turns.....you get the idea. ICE has no chance to modulate power like an EV.
Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
People who don't own EV'S, drive them, or actually know anything about them seem to have a lot to say about them
It is puzzling. Are some hoping to stop EVs by smack talking about them? Don't think that's going to work.
Old 02-23-23 | 07:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
It’s hard to explain unless you experience it yourself. Putting power down in an EV is different than an ICE car. I won’t pretend to understand the physics of it but it hooks like no other ICE car I know of. Even with a great AWD system like that of the Porsche or even my GTR doesn’t compare. Plus you never have to worry about bogging off the line. That doesn’t exist in an EV.
‘I agree with what you are saying. And I have driven EVs…Tesla and Hyundai both awd. But every full time 4WD system I’ve driven has never slipped the wheels, dry pavement or rainy slick. (Aside from like super icy or deep snow). My SUVs are 40/60 default and goes variable, can also lock 50/50. Never a tire chirp. I am only really referring to AMIRZA786s tire chirp reference or wheel slippage in reference.

At the auto show today. Polestar had one vehicle. No representation. Car was open. Lovely interior design. Really liked the materials.

Terrible to see the Made in China label. (Almost think the car has been outsourced)

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-23-23 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-23-23 | 07:44 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,281 Likes on 1,779 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
It's all about latency. Electric motor driven by solid state electronics vs. air, fuel, spark, pistons move, crank turns.....you get the idea. ICE has no chance to modulate power like an EV.

It is puzzling. Are some hoping to stop EVs by smack talking about them? Don't think that's going to work.
Exactly, with zero latency. With ice there are just to many components between the engine and wheels, so car depend on traction control to prevent wheel spin, but either wheel spin is caught afterwards, or power is pulled too soon with aggressive TC, like my IS350. That's why we refer to TC as "nannies". The problem, when I turned off TC, I would lose the backend LoL!

Again I'm not putting down ICE, but EV'S are just superior, IMHO of course

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-23-23 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-23-23 | 08:10 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 296 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
‘I agree with what you are saying. And I have driven EVs…Tesla and Hyundai both awd. But every full time 4WD system I’ve driven has never slipped the wheels, dry pavement or rainy slick. (Aside from like super icy or deep snow). My SUVs are 40/60 default, can also lock 50/50. Never a tire chirp. I am only really referring to AMIRZA786s tire chirp reference or wheel slippage in reference.
It’s not so much the slippage (unless you get over 1,000hp) but it’s pulling power to limit slippage. With ICE cars I feel it will pull too much power when the computers sense slippage but with EVs it doesn’t and just hooks and goes. Does that make sense?
Old 02-23-23 | 08:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It’s not so much the slippage (unless you get over 1,000hp) but it’s pulling power to limit slippage. With ICE cars I feel it will pull too much power when the computers sense slippage but with EVs it doesn’t and just hooks and goes. Does that make sense?
‘what are you referring to as “pull” with too much power or when the computer sense slippage?
Old 02-23-23 | 08:33 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
‘what are you referring to as “pull” with too much power or when the computer sense slippage?
What I mean is it reduces power.
Old 02-23-23 | 08:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

What I mean is it reduces power.
can’t speak for other full time ICE systems, is BMW X drive even a true full time system?. Both my 04 and 21 SUVs are fully defeatable when it comes to power management based on slippage, there is no reduction in power. In other words, I can turn both into pure basic mechanical full time 4WD with a disconnected vsc or traction system, in this circumstance it would be impossible to reduce the power. . I do understand what you mean though with a EV awd vs a ICE system when it comes to power reduction.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-23-23 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-23-23 | 09:14 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Thanks @patgilm for jumping in and explaining in layman's terms from your experience. What my Polestar really needs is a companion, and hopefully soon it will have either a Model 3P or Model Y LR as a bestie
Old 02-27-23 | 08:08 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Pretty disappointing performance results for the best edition. Thought it would be faster and more if a trackstar given all the power and mods it has...

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...T%3Atrueanthem
Old 02-27-23 | 08:21 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ST430
Pretty disappointing performance results for the best edition. Thought it would be faster and more if a trackstar given all the power and mods it has...

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...T%3Atrueanthem
Polestar doesn't even come close to Model 3P performance, which includes handling. The problem with the BST edition is the suspension is tuned way to stiff. Also it shares the same dual motors and HP/torque numbers with the regular P2 with the performance upgrade.

That said, the non BST Polestars are still great cars, handle pretty decent, and still pretty fast off the line. With the Performance Upgrade (software), I'm easily 0 to 60 in 4.2 seconds

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-27-23 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-01-23 | 08:42 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Since I purchased the Performance upgrade, Polestar has sent me updated side stickers that reflect the new power rating

These replace the old stickers which show the old hp rating of the electric motors, which is 300 kw (408 hp)

Probably not going to replace them, It's hard to see them anyway unless you are standing close to the car
Old 03-01-23 | 09:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That is a really nice touch what they did. I thought those stickers werejust for show at the dealer. But to just send you them after you updated your car. That is a nice touch.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-02-23 at 03:56 AM.
Old 03-02-23 | 03:11 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

I agree, nice touch and one I haven’t ever seen before. I personally would replace them.
Old 03-02-23 | 08:45 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I agree, nice touch and one I haven’t ever seen before. I personally would replace them.
Alright, I'm convinced . I'll wait for the weather to get batter, we've been having a lot rain lately
Old 03-02-23 | 09:11 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Looks like Polestar is posting positive results

Polestar cuts annual losses in half as it ramps up EV production

Swedish electric vehicle maker Polestar cut its annual net losses in half last year, while revenue surged and it attempted to set itself apart from other EV startups.

The company on Thursday reported an 84% increase in revenue for 2022 to roughly $2.5 billion as it exceeded a 50,000-vehicle delivery target. Its net loss for the year fell to $466 million from more than $1 billion in 2021. Its adjusted operating loss narrowed by 8% to $914 million, while its adjusted earnings before interest and taxes, depreciation and amortization increased 4.8% to $759 million.

CEO Thomas Ingenlath described the company’s 2022 performance as the groundwork for a “different phase” in the automaker’s growth as it aims to increase deliveries by nearly 60% to approximately 80,000 cars.

The majority of that increase will come from an updated Polestar 2 EV, according to Ingenlath. The company is releasing two new EVs this year – Polestar 3 and Polestar 4 – that are expected to hit their production strides in 2024.

“It’s an exciting year for us in terms of changing the company to not only having one product but three at the end of the time,” Ingenlath told CNBC during a video interview.

For 2023, Polestar expects gross margin be “broadly in line” with the 4.9% it reported for 2022, “with volume and product mix supporting margin progression later in the year.”

The company improved its cash position to $973.9 million to end last year, up about 29% from a year earlier. CFO Johan Malmqvist said the company continues to explore potential equity or debt offerings to raise additional capital to fund operations and business growth.

Malmqvist declined to comment on when the company expects to breakeven or turn a profit, saying “We remain confident in the fundamentals of our business, so we have the levers and the building blocks to get to breakeven.”

Polestar’s relatively positive results come after other EV startups like Lucid, Nikola and Rivian reported ongoing problems with supply chains and production, causing them to miss production or sales targets.

Polestar is a joint venture between Sweden’s Volvo Cars and its parent company, China-based Geely. Polestar went public via a merger with a special purpose acquisition company in June.

Since going public, shares of Polestar are off about 49%. The stock fell more than 5% Wednesday, closing at $5.05 a share

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/02/pole...roduction.html

Quick Reply: Polestar Discussion Thread